Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VENDOR REVIEWS, IN GENERAL

From
    Oakdale, CA

VENDOR REVIEWS, IN GENERAL

I did not want to hijack a thread, so I am starting my own thread, I need to comment as well.....

To be honest, I really don't know the best way to comment about this.
    As a fan, and a seamstress, and a vendor, I feel about the same way as Loanstar and SGB with this issue.

WE ARE NOT PERFECT! We are not JC Penny's or "The Men's Warehouse"
    we are just us, making stuff, to sell to others. Yes, we ask for comensation, but it is not making us millionaires, it keeps us able to keep up with our costumes and keeps us activite in the community.

It is fun, I LOVE TO SEW! I love to sew costumes! It is fun. By sewing costumes for others, I am vicariously costuming with them. I have not made everything that I have shipped perfectly. I have replaced entire pieces, without charge, with my own suggestion, when someone has not received an item that will fit or that is not right for them. That has been my suggestion. I have quite a few people that are happy with my (our) stuff, the first time, and some people, as I just stated, that have needed adjustment, replacement, whatever. I am not going to kick myself if I get something wrong, I do this for fun, and I am happy to just fix or replace it.

I must reiterate this for those who don't know. My friend Carole and I sew these costumes together. We share our patterns and share the duties, depending on which one of us has more time on a given day. So, this is who I refer to when I say we. And if I say "I" this still includes Carole.

I KNOW that our costumes are not perfect. We joke and laugh about it, and we study the screen caps to improve our patterns, often. It is fun, it is amazing how much detail is in every little costume piece and we challenge ourselves to make our patterns/details better. We take the feedback we get, really listen and improve whenever we can. No insult taken, everyone that I have worked with knows they can PM with any question they have. I did have one customer, *edit name removed by request* that was not completely happy with our suit. This was one of our first suits and I offered to give him his money back, so he can buy something better. That conversation was last year. He did not like our vest or neckseal and we refunded him the money.

This thread has pics also of *edit removed name by request* this thread shows two of my suits, at wondercon... http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...ight=bountyone

I do not have the unrealistic idea that our sewing is above all reproach and that every single stitch we have ever sewn is perfect, can't happen, but I can say, that Carole and I, work together on our costumes, and we bounce ideas off each other constantly as to how to make our items work, i.e. function, comfort, durability, and every little thing we can to make these good for all of you. It is just fun to know that people are out there wearing our stuff. Again, vicariously, we travel the world with you. It is just fun, no other words can express that.

We vendors do put up with a lot. We expect it and we just keep plugging along to do our best. That is, after all, all that we can do, and if it is not good enough for anyone, than, there is nothing to be said, if we are doing our best, that is it. What else do they want of us? It is easy to get bitter, but we don't. We keep moving along.

There will be those that read the "review" of Loanstar's flightsuit, and any reviews about LSFU costumes, or anyone else's, and make up their mind, and there is nothing to change them. My mom always told me, you can have 100 good things said about you and it is the one negative that hangs on to you forever. This is true. Not to brag, but maybe we should start a vendor thread to post all of the good comments we have received about our products.

I am currently at work on on my lunch break. I am sure I have more that I would like to say, but just cannot put it all into words at this time.

I am going to end this here.

I want to say that I love the forums here at TDH!
    I love the friendships that I have made and the people that are here.
    We have some bumps along the way, but this really is the best forum I have been to!

Thank you all for letting me "troop" with you in spirit. I enjoy being a TDH member.

Cheers
    Debbi
    Last edited by LadySewforus; Apr 9, 2008 at 7:02 PM.

From
    killinois

Re: VENDOR REVIEWS, IN GENERAL

Well put.
    If I don't complain too much, will you make me a suit too?

no really... I need a suit and vest.

From
    North Carolina

Well said, Debbi.

I'd sew my own stuff if I could get my hands on the patterns!

From
    San Diego. CA/ Hertfordshire, England

"I didn't like your vest or neck seal"???

that's because the vest was two sizes too big and the neck seal was too tight after I sent it back to you with the correct measurements but you made another one that was still too tight???. it seemed like every time I told you something was wrong with your stuff, you just threaten to give me a refund and tell me to go elsewhere so i had to kiss your butt because nobody else was making flight suits at the time and I needed one really bad.
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; Apr 9, 2008 at 7:44 PM. Reason: language

From
    Oakdale, CA

I did want to refund your money, only so you could try somewhere else.

We are not perfect and I admit, I do not get it right everytime.

I am sorry that you are so terribly mad still, I do have the right to defend myself.

that is all I have to say.

I am sorry that you are still so bent and I do apologize.

Debbi

From
    Oakdale, CA

suspect86 said: View Post
    Well put.
    If I don't complain too much, will you make me a suit too?

no really... I need a suit and vest.
    I hope this was in jest, I do ask for suggestions and do listen if people have something to contribute, I encourage it and I have a few members now that I regularly go to for advice.

I will pm you later
    Cheers

Debbi

From
    Oakdale, CA

Fettenstein01 said: View Post
    I'd sew my own stuff if I could get my hands on the patterns!
    I have been too busy to Pm you, I will PM you tonight K??

I did receive your PM and I am not trying to ignore you

From
    Oakdale, CA

Bountyone said: View Post
    "I didn't like your vest or neck seal"???

that's because the were two sizes too big. you had my measurements but it seemed like every time I told you something was wrong with your stuff, you just threaten to give me a refund and tell me to go elsewhere so i had to kiss your *** because nobody else was making flight suits at the time and I needed one really bad.

I did update that thread you posted.... only to take you off it

I am not ashamed to say that it did not fit you right, we screwed up, we were new at this costume, however you would like to put it and we refunded your money.

I am not sure what else you would like me to do at this point.

Debbi

From
    Vancouver, BC

I definitely appreciate the vendors here that put so much into the products they sell. I know most are average folks who do this part time and have busy lives like the rest of us. I know that what I order will be fan made and isn't a LFL authorized piece cranked out in a sweatshop somewhere. Because of that I'm willing to overlook some minor flaws if I find them and they can be fixed. But if I ordered a flightsuit and the stitching was coming apart or armour with air bubbles in it, I'd be a little choked. I don't expect perfection and I don't expect 100% screen accuracy, but I do expect good quality.

That said, I have had nothing but the best service and quality from the vendors I've ordered items from. The Fettpride V3 armour I received is beautiful stuff and very expertly crafted. All of the soft parts I just received from Bobamaker are exceptionally well made and fit great. It was because of people's recommendations on these forums that I went with the vendors I did. So I hope that people keep giving their opinions on items they've ordered as long as it is constructive and respectful.

Anyway, just my two credits.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

I love my Jango style vest you made. It's just different enough to be something for a custom. I think your work is awesome Debbi and I hope more TDH and Mercs members do business with you.

From

LadySewforus said: View Post
    I did want to refund your money, only so you could try somewhere else.

We are not perfect and I admit, I do not get it right everytime.

I am sorry that you are so terribly mad still, I do have the right to defend myself.

that is all I have to say.

I am sorry that you are still so bent and I do apologize.

Debbi
    I'm sure your work has improved Debbi, the stitching started to come apart from the suit a few weeks ago. what good does it do me now to contact you about it. I didn't use your name in the other thread but you choose to use mine here and that is what i'm "bent" about.
    Last edited by Bountyone; Apr 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM.

That's okay, I was just worried that you were avoiding me due to this strange revolt between sellers and buyers.

LadySewforus said: View Post
    I have been too busy to Pm you, I will PM you tonight K??

I did receive your PM and I am not trying to ignore you

From
    Oakdale, CA

Fettenstein01 said: View Post
    That's okay, I was just worried that you were avoiding me due to this strange revolt between sellers and buyers.
    Not at all, my hubby and I share one computer at home, so I try to do alot of my posting and such at work, but it has been busy here too.

We will work this out, us sellers and buyers, not to worry

From
    Fort Worth, TX

I don't know whether to pull up a chair and grab the popcorn, or set up my soapbox and whacking stick....

Eith way, this thread could get ugly, and the subject hits close to home for me, too.

From
    Hartselle,Alabama

Debbi
    I was passing over the threads and this one caught my eye.After reading afew of the postings I wanted to let you know that the utility pouches you made for me have held up fantastic.
    After using them to hike close to a combined total of 20 miles(as of this posting) not one stich as come loose.I have used them them to help me carry numerous items.I would say the average weight carried in each is between 3 to 5 lbs.They have a nice weathered look to them now.Our last outing was in no stop rain.They held up great with a little help from my rain gear.Which reminds me...
    I would still like for your help with a hooded poncho.I have not had time to investigate the different fabric types.
    Take care and keep on sewing
    Mike P

From
    Chicagoland

These are "costumes" people and to my knowledge have never been all that durable, EVEN SGB. When I got his suit it also needed minor alterations(out of pocket cause I didn't want to wait) and some seams renforced(no big deal). I have never washed it in a washing machine(why?) because it would probably fall apart too. Instead I wash it by hand in the sink with some laundry soap and let it hang dry(still holding up fine after 2 years). I am happy with my SGB suit, but like "all" the rest they do need alittle TLC

Debbi is a great person
    She & her Husband are very nice & work very hard in the costuming realm.
    As she said, they aren't perfect.
    Just as you are not perfect (of course I am perfect)
    Anyway, I just wanted to say this;
    1. If you aren't happy with someone's work, go someplace else or make it yourself
    2.If they offer to refund your money , take it & go someplace else or make it yourself.
    3.If they offer to fix it but screw up again, try again (if you can) or take the refund they offer & go someplace else or make it yourself
    Notice a pattern forming here?

I don't understand why someone would complain that a vendor tried to give them back their money

I helped at SDCC '08 Gonzo Fett's Avatar
    From
    Fear and Loathing in a Galaxy farther...away...

I own a SGB suit as well, and it has held up. Yes the material is a bit thin and it has torn in places, but that is fixable and expected when you do as much trooping as I have done in it. Not counting the times Danny has put it on and trooped. It is a hard job being a seamstress in this hobby especially when the measurements are sent over and you don't have the person in front of you to tailor the suit for perfectly. I mean take the JB project for example. JB had sent over his measurements and they still were doing adjustments just to make it perfect for him. A bit of hemming here a bit of tweaking there. ITs never going to be just perfect. I am just lucky that I have Crazy4bobafett who just lives 45 min from me. So I can go over and she can have me there to take measurements and what not.Her stuff is right on. She is a perfectionist and an artist. Can't wait til she decides to jump into doing jumpsuits.

But give the seamstresses some breathing room. They do what they do cause they love this hobby. Sure they all may not be perfect but sewing is not an easy job. Heck if it was I would start sewing.

I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    From
    Temecula, CA

Hey Debbi, Do you have a "Return Rack" where I my pick something up at a discount?
    Something in the smaller sizes, for my 12 yr old son.

Pm sent.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

IVe got nothing but praises for Debbie and Carole. Yes i did have some minor measurement probs in my costume, but i also had the best customer to supplier response from them to date, with Bobamaker coming a very close second .

I still chat to Debbie to this day, she is a really awesome person, and very selfless when it comes to helping others, especially going out of her way to fix an issue or suggest an alternative

You have the best qualities a person and a seller can have, and you are very easy to work with. im sure there are many out here that can sing your praises

From

You guys seem to forget that I didn't start this thread, Debbi carried it over from another thread about a different Flight suit vendor. I simply agreed with the fact that you should try to at least get what you pay for and that we are all aware that your never going to get a "perfect" suit. we are quite aware that the people who make these items have full time jobs and do this in their spare time and any and all of their efforts are greatly appreciated. sure I could have taken my money and gone somewhere else but Debbi and I worked together on trying to get an accurate suit done finding material and color swatches. despite the minor set backs in size, I was quite happy with the end result. other than a few alterations that were made, the suit has held up pretty good. I have only trooped in it 4 times with foam in the pouches. I too hand wash it and hang dry and up until now, the pouches are coming off as well as the sleeves. I never mentioned any names nor was it my intention to complain about my purchase until I saw my name and photos posted on this thread but since it came up, I vented. I also have a right to defend myself.

Both Debbi and Mark are good people and have since offered to fix the suit. so many thanks to them. I'm sorry if this thread got a little heated Debbi, I will shut up and go away now.

you can get that chip off your shoulder now Nathen.

From
    Oakdale, CA

Wow, I am very very grateful for all of this. I am not sure quite what to say, except thank you! I know all of the other vendors, I should say fan vendors are doing a great job. We are here because we love the hobby and that is what keeps us going.

I have read, if I need to put an estimate, 98% of happy responses from all of the soft parts customers that have purchased anything since I have been here at TDH. The only bad things that I have heard consistantly are from vendors who do this for a living, not from the fans who make costumes for other fans. We vendors are all going to make a mistake at times, or because if miscommunication in whatever form, get the wrong size, etc... But if you look at it clearly, it is rare. Check it out, do some research. Personalities clash, here and everywhere and that is bound to happen too, but don't be too hard on any of us, we all have our own sides to our story, vendor and recipient alike.

This is a great bunch of people, everyone of the TDH members and we need to remember that we are ALL human, and we should not hold resentments. It does no one any good at all!

Just for the record, Carole and I have been discussing this issue, along with spouses, children, friends and anyone else that wants to put in their 2 cents. We are going to address this problem first and foremost, by investing in better thread. We both already QC everything before it ships, but plan to pay special attention to the strength of the seams. It is much better to catch a possible flaw before it becomes a problem. For the record, we already pre-wash the flightsuit fabric in Hot water and a run through the dryer before sewing and then again after the flightsuit is completed. We have been doing this from day one, it is not anything new.

And for the record, I do have some soft costume parts that I do not need. These are not from returns. I have had only one return, but I do have some trial runs. Items that we tested and then adjusted the patterns to include details, or whatever, to upgrade, etc. I am going to give Fett Seven first dibs at the "rejects" because it is his wonderful idea, and then take pictures of the outcasts and post them for very little cost. I don't need them, and someone can surely make use of them, until they upgrade, or I really like the idea of using them for a child. Even teenagers grow out of things every 3 months until they are 20 or 22, some keep growing after that, and maybe can use something that I have here.

If I don't get to it tonight, I will eventually get to it and post pics. I will do a "fire" sale, or some kind of internet special. LOL Let's us keep our eyes on what really matters, staying young at heart, as much as we possibly can!

Cheers
    Debbi

From
    Oakdale, CA

My offer still stands to fix it. We are not that far apart, both in So Cal. Perhaps once you get your custom made suit, I could take the old one and fix it up. It can't hurt to have a back up or to keep it around for a possible custom someday. Or pass it along to some one or whatever. Your son will be big in no time and maybe can adapt it for something too!

Anywhoo, I am glad we are able to work this out. I did start this thread, all of my own volition, I had some words to say and did not think it appropriate to hijack another's thread to express my own opinion about something.

I am glad we can come to a peaceful end to this discussion. I hope everyone else will really think about the fact that the fan/vendors here are just regular people and it can be personally painful when we are not allowed the chance to work things out. It is the same with the person who is spending hard-earned dollars, they need to be heard as well.

Well, to everyone a good night!

Debbi

Bountyone said: View Post
    You guys seem to forget that I didn't start this thread, Debbi carried it over from another thread about a different Flight suit vendor. I simply agreed with the fact that you should try to at least get what you pay for and that we are all aware that your never going to get a "perfect" suit. we are quite aware that the people who make these items have full time jobs and do this in their spare time and any and all of their efforts are greatly appreciated. sure I could have taken my money and gone somewhere else but Debbi and I worked together on trying to get an accurate suit done finding material and color swatches. despite the minor set backs in size, I was quite happy with the end result. other than a few alterations that were made, the suit has held up pretty good. I too hand wash it and hang dry and up until now, the pouches are coming off as well as the sleeves. I never mentioned any names nor was it my intention to complain about my purchase until I saw my name and photos posted on this thread but since it came up, I vented. I also have a right to defend myself.

Both Debbi and Mark are good people and have since offered to fix the suit. so many thanks to them. I'm sorry if this thread got a little heated Debbi, I will shut up and go away now.

you can get that chip off your shoulder now Nathen.

From

much love Debb's