Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Oct 6, 2008, 11:03 AM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #26

*sigh*

Ok I have a question Cruzer, please carefully read everything above and tell me what part of that you can defend.

Seriously.
    Oct 6, 2008, 11:21 AM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #27

I'm lucky enough to see it from both sides. I've purchased ALL of my items through TDH, and I was able to complete my Fett in about 2 years. 95% of the transactions went off without a hitch(Deb included), with varying degrees of shipping speeds. I work hard, we all do. If you're a vendor, you expect payment to begin work. As the buyer, if I pay promptly I expect prompt manufacturing/shipping. Pretty simple. With that said, "STUFF" does happen, and things don't always go as planned. All I ask is communication from the vendor. I NEVER mind waiting for QUALITY. Communication IS the key.
    I DO consider myself as a vendor as well(with my decals), and I try my best to ship next day if I can. I can't always do it, but that's my goal. If I'M delayed I will let ya know. Pretty simple again. I've never really had ANY problems as a vendor since i've stuck to my "system" and the people here are GREAT. My only pet peeve is when people sign up, PM me multiple times, and never follow through with payment. Luckily, my stuff is relatively inexpensive so it's not too much of a problem.

Just my 2 cents...
    Oct 6, 2008, 1:10 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #28

I have seen this on other forums and it seems to work really well. Maybe Admin could create a "Vendor Feedback" forum I know people post experiences, but to have a collected place where the good, the bad, and the ugly can be seen. I know it leaves an opening for bashing, but that happens anyways. There might need to be rules that TDH needs to enforce like code of conduct. But it would give people who need to be recognized a chance to be, and people who should be called out a chance to be. I think 95% of everybody here is a stand up guy (or girl) and I think it would turn moer into a " 'atta boy (girl)" forum then a bashing fest. Just my 2 cents.
  4. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 6, 2008, 1:18 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #29

i support that!! if i need to buy something, and dont really know the rep of the seller, i can do a search in that forum under their name, and look up any feedback that might have been left...positive, or negative...i really do that anyway, but this would be more formal, and recognizable...kind of like the ebay feedback system, but more of a specific aspect to it...not just numbers, but really able to see what the sellers are doing...and on the reverse side of it, hold the buyers accountable with a feedback forum for sellers, too...goes both ways!!
    Oct 6, 2008, 1:26 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #30

Right and for new people they can check the feedback forum to see if a seller is good or bad. We are always getting new people starting a thread on a certain vendor.
    Oct 6, 2008, 1:30 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #31

@ Darrel:
    I had asked about that feedback system, over in the thread regarding Chuck, and I think it was Tim who told me that TDH likes to keep a very "We are not involved in your transactions" sort of stance.
    So, it's really left up to the buyer to do research on the seller, and hope they place their trust in the right hands. 9 times out of 10, it all goes smoothly. But when somebody does get the shaft, it's horrible.

Thanks Debbi, our transactions have been the most pleasurable, easiest, "no nonsense" deals I've ever done!
  7. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 6, 2008, 1:37 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #32

they dont have to be involved in the transaction...it has nothing to do with admin...it is a place for people to post what they feel, how good or bad a transaction was, and a way to keep vendors honest...maybe that is why some vendors are doing this, cause they can, and know that there is no consequence for their actions...if you use paypal, you have only a month to file a claim...man, some vendors dont even start your stuff before that...how can you possibly make a claim on paypal then? the vendor has your money, and you can do nothing...with a feedback, the admin just keeps language, content, and coc within its boundaries, and let us tell others about who shafts us!! its not fair...we as buyers have nothing but trust to go with...you, Pete, trusted your seller, i recommended him...so what now? you have nothing, but wait and trust...you have done that for how long now? ya....
  8. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Oct 6, 2008, 2:59 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #33

I must add that I know armor is not a "quick" business to make. There is no doubt that these things take time. There should not be an expectation that everything ordered should be shipped within the same amount of time.

What IS needed is communication, and honest communication at that. It is rare that the complaint is about time. Everyone understands "stuff" happens, that is a given.

That is NOT the core of the problem. The problem is communication, plain and simple.

As far as a vendor thread, it will not happen here. That has been the firm stance from Admin.
    Last edited by LadySewforus; Oct 6, 2008 at 3:05 PM.
    Oct 6, 2008, 3:11 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #34

What about a general thread about "positive Transactions" in the Sarlacc?? The MODS wouldn't be needed at all, it would just be a continuous thread. For EX:

1) I BOUGHT metal gauntlets from WICKEDBEARD. The were delivered in an acceptable time frame, with the quality was great. WickedBeard = A+

2) I SOLD decal sets to FettDad. They were paid for Promptly. FettDad = A+

A new user browses this thread, maybe searches for a name they're considering dealing with, and they get useful information BEFORE entering into a transaction. Just a thought......

Deb is 100% correct, communication is key.
    Oct 6, 2008, 3:46 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #35

Quote LadySewforus said: View Post
    *sigh*

Ok I have a question Cruzer, please carefully read everything above and tell me what part of that you can defend.

Seriously.
    Seriously...I just posted to joke around. I'd prefer to be a nonparticipant in all of these ramblings. I just know you've made at least one similar thread prior to this thread where you seem to get on your "prop makers pulpit", and I think it is funny to see on a forum that primarily consists of male members, because of gender stereotypes when it comes to "communication".

Personally, I don't think of myself as a "vendor".
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Oct 6, 2008, 3:59 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #36

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    Seriously...I just posted to joke around. I'd prefer to be a nonparticipant in all of these ramblings. I just know you've made at least one similar thread prior to this thread where you seem to get on your "prop makers pulpit", and I think it is funny to see on a forum that primarily consists of male members, because of gender stereotypes when it comes to "communication".

Personally, I don't think of myself as a "vendor".
    I did not quite understand.

Did you mean it is odd that I am a women on a typically male forum?

hmm.....

I understand humor, and I am a smart***, just ask anyone, but this is not a small issue.
    Last edited by LadySewforus; Oct 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM.
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Oct 6, 2008, 4:39 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #37

[/quote]Deb is 100% correct, communication is key.[/quote]

Better be careful, you're gonna lose your man card
    Oct 6, 2008, 4:42 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #38

I don't speak for the board administration at all, but IMO, having a thread like that opens up potential liability.

"The reviews thread said that stormtrooperguy was great, but it took him 3 months to send me my gauntlets" would happen in a matter of... oh... 3 months.

Right now the board basically says "buy at your own risk. your problem not ours". Any involvement beyond that would imply some degree of oversight. Or couple imply it, should someone try to push the point.
    Oct 6, 2008, 5:17 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #39

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    I don't speak for the board administration at all, but IMO, having a thread like that opens up potential liability.

"The reviews thread said that stormtrooperguy was great, but it took him 3 months to send me my gauntlets" would happen in a matter of... oh... 3 months.

Right now the board basically says "buy at your own risk. your problem not ours". Any involvement beyond that would imply some degree of oversight. Or couple imply it, should someone try to push the point.

I guess I think it's no different then if I was to post a thread saying:

I want to buy a helmet from Jo Blow. Anyone dealt with him?

And someone replies:

"Yeah and he takes forever to send his product!"

We see threads all the time on good and bad experiences. I was just thinking more of a consolidation forum. Kinda a hey Buy at you own risk but here is some research for ya. And if someone gets took then it allows for the buyer to vent (like he will anyway) and an opportunity for the seller to explain the situation. I don't know if a rating system would work, but I think a feedback forum wouldn't hurt. Every vendor here relies on their reputation. And as all of us knows things do happen. As far a s production time goes I usually always ask BEFORE I pay. How long will it take? I know its a rough estimate. But that gives me an idea. Maybe the feed back forum could be a standard for you fill out and post like:

Fettdad might start a thread titled

Tk9950 Feedback

Seller: tk9950
    Item: Full set of armor
    Est Completion Time: already built and painted
    Communication: 7/10
    Delivery Time: 7/10
    Packaging: 9/10
    Product Quality: 10/10
    Would You Recommend: yes

And that way no bashing simple facts. Then any further info someone could contact the buyer or seller to clarify. And if someone agrees with they can reply agree or they can post the same format with their own scoring.
  15. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 6, 2008, 5:21 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #40

so what you are saying is that vendors shouldnt be held liable for not living up to their committments....? when do you draw the line and keep vendors from taking advantage of buyers...? i understand the code of conduct and what it says about risk...ya, its risky....we all know that...but its the risk factor that can be taken advantage of so easily, and there are no reprocushions for vendor dishonesty...its the trust that keeps an organization and community together...
    Oct 6, 2008, 5:26 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #41

and technically The moment you agree to take payment for a product you make a contract. Therefore you could be taken on Judge Judy and sue them for the product or the money back. Liability would never come into play for TDH. If I got stiffed I wouldn't blame TDH cause that person was here, I would blame the person selling me the product. I don't want to ruffel any feathers I just could see where it would help new members and old members to feel secure in buying from someone.
  17. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Oct 6, 2008, 5:55 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #42

I don't think I know of a problem with a member who is considered 'a vendor' most of the rare issues seem to be with members selling off stuff they no longer want for what ever reason. The members that continue to offer props for sale all have a good rep and I assume they need to keep it. I know that my dealings with Bobamaker have been excellent and I could not recommend him enough. I don't think we need the feedback thing at all. If you spend some time here, you know who is who and what is what and you know who you want to buy from.

The sticky transactions are the people who don't sell so much, IMHO.
    Oct 6, 2008, 5:55 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #43

Quote LadySewforus said: View Post
    I did not quite understand.

Did you mean it is odd that I am a women on a typically male forum?

hmm.....

I understand humor, and I am a smart***, just ask anyone, but this is not a small issue.
    Let me rephrase my meaning: I think it is uncomfortably fantastic that it takes a Woman to address such important issues on a predominantly male forum, when the gender stereotype is that males are less inclined to communicate than females in our society.

And as far as my "MAN CARD" is concerned......I'm have no worries of losing my "man card" because it's tucked safely away in the top drawer of my wife's armoir!
    Oct 6, 2008, 6:05 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #44

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    Let me rephrase my meaning: I think it is uncomfortably fantastic that it takes a Woman to address such important issues on a predominantly male forum, when the gender stereotype is that males are less inclined to communicate than females in our society.

And as far as my "MAN CARD" is concerned......I'm have no worries of losing my "man card" because it's tucked safely away in the top drawer of my wife's armoir!
    Wait!!! Hold on a second? You know where she hid yours??
    Oct 6, 2008, 6:48 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #45

I'm not even married yet (late dec ) and she's already got mine hidden somewhere awfully horrible and evil.
    Oct 6, 2008, 7:50 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #46

well, again... my personal opinion only... is that consolidating the information about sellers is a Bad Idea. both for the fact that TDH could be brought into something that it needn't be, and because you really don't necessarily want 100 reviews of your awesome, unlicensed, technically illegal to sell prop to be discovered by a license holder.

i don't sell stuff on any particularly noteworthy scale, but imagine eFX decided to hunt down anyone else making clone helmets and sue them. you come here and see 50 reviews of how awesome mine is... then you know who to sue

people who post run lists are taking their lives into their own hands... they have no-one to blame but themselves if they get sued. but other people posting like that could be bad. remember that there are boards that don't even allow you to talk about sales or sources at all!

i know i'm always defending bad sales practices, and it's really not that i think people should be ripped off. i just feel that we are, essentially, selling stuff out of our trenchcoats in a dark alley. and regulating dark alley trenchcoat sales is just not a good idea (imo)
    Oct 6, 2008, 8:05 PM - Re: Vendor behavior and ethics #47

well, again... my personal opinion only... is that consolidating the information about sellers is a Bad Idea. both for the fact that TDH could be brought into something that it needn't be, and because you really don't necessarily want 100 reviews of your awesome, unlicensed, technically illegal to sell prop to be discovered by a license holder.

i don't sell stuff on any particularly noteworthy scale, but imagine eFX decided to hunt down anyone else making clone helmets and sue them. you come here and see 50 reviews of how awesome mine is... then you know who to sue

people who post run lists are taking their lives into their own hands... they have no-one to blame but themselves if they get sued. but other people posting like that could be bad. remember that there are boards that don't even allow you to talk about sales or sources at all!

i know i'm always defending bad sales practices, and it's really not that i think people should be ripped off. i just feel that we are, essentially, selling stuff out of our trenchcoats in a dark alley. and regulating dark alley trenchcoat sales is just not a good idea (imo)
    Ok now that makes sense. I can see what you are saying. You are right I know some forums that won't let you into the vendors forum unless you are already 501st approved. I think there are good arguments to both sides.