Subscribe
  1. Sep 2, 2014, 10:26 PM - UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #1

Hey fellow hunters,
    I just wanted to post this in case anyone needs to get in touch or wonders where i have gone this month, as i will be on only spuratically all month. As some of you know, i have been planning on moving to Long Island New York this year from Brooklyn NY. Its about an hour and a half from where i am in Brooklyn now. The original plan was to be out by June 1st. Well alot has happened, or should i say, NOT happened to delay this until now.

I am moving into the rear part of my inlaws house. Its basically a seperate apt, with our own entrance and full use of the back yard. (A mother/daughter i think its called?) It hasnt been used in years so it needed to be be renovated. We are also building a shed/shop for me with electricity in the backyard so i can do my work NOT in my "bedroom" in my 1 bedroom apt like i do here. I will also be able to have armor parties

My father in law is handy with all of this stuff, so he is doing the most of the work himself with myself and some friends helping when we/they can. But between my mother in laws business and having to travel to trade shows that he goes to as well, and my wifes grandmother gifting them a carribean cruise...things didnt get done as planned and the "ready date" kept getting pushed back.

What made this worse was i had put notice in at my job to leave the original move date, June 1st. It looked like it may be june 15th to July first at that point so i fuigured i could get by for 2 weeks to a month with my commissions, and offically left my job. Well it obviously took longer, as it is now Sept 1st and i havent moved yet, our bills are behind, and there still needs to be quite a few things done to the place before we can make it at least minimally liveable.

So now the move date is Oct 1st. However in order to speed up the process, i will be going there a few days a week to help get everything done. We also are now starting to pack our things. What this means for you guys is that anyone waiting on commissions from me may have a delay in your orders, as i get the new place livable and also start packing up my "shop" The landlord wants to start showing the apt next week and im not sure how to show it with our bed in the livingroom and the bedroom set up as a shop lol.

im doing my best for the next 2 weeks to do any and all of the smaller orders i had lingering (all the shin tools are done) I also have some Fett helmets to get started and 1 in particular with a deadline of Sept 24th. So my main focus will be on that helmet, finishing up mostly done commissions, and the small stuff for the next 2 weeks and thewn im going tohave to pack up the shop to start moving the stuff out.

So if you contact me about an order you may have placed with me anytime this month, i am NOT running from you, or hiding, or trying to take your money lol. Once i ma mostly set up in the new place, i will have a temp place in the basement to work, and i should be online regularly again until i get all of your orders done and out.

thanks for reading and i will see you all soon, and am looking forward to a new workspace to help serve you (and me) better!

-Lou "Darth Voorhees" Platania
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Oct 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM.
  2. Member Since
    Jun 2014
    Sep 2, 2014, 10:31 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #2

See that is how to do it Lou..Keep everyone posted and everything is cool..Good luck with move.
    Sep 3, 2014, 12:18 AM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #3

Sending good vibes your way man. All the best on your move!
    Sep 3, 2014, 3:21 AM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #4

Hope everything goes well!
  5. Sep 3, 2014, 8:55 AM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #5

Thanks all, heading there now to do some work and clear out what will be my temp workspace. This is where the fun begins....
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Sep 3, 2014, 6:19 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #6

Best of luck on the move and with the new set up.
    Sep 3, 2014, 8:18 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #7

Great work Lou!...best of luck with the move.
  8. Sep 4, 2014, 1:50 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #8

Thanks guys! Back home today to do a little Fett work, then going back to the new place tomorrow to clear the bushes/shrubs to make a spot for the new shed/shop. Its going to be small, 10X10, just about the size of the room im using now, but its not in my actually living space which is fantastic! lol Plus i will have storge space in the basement of the house wher ei can store the commissions and do not hazardous things like trim ABS armor n such This is gonna be great!
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Sep 4, 2014, 3:12 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #9

Good luck with the move !
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Sep 8, 2014, 3:10 AM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #10

Best of luck with the move, Lou. Thanks for keeping us updated!
  11. Sep 12, 2014, 12:56 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #11

Thanks for all the luck..imma need it!

Heading out to the new place again today, and likely for most of next week.

So the half downed tree in the back yard has been removed and the ground is leveled for the shed/shop.

My father inlaw is going to lay down a concrete base hopefully soon.

Right now, the spray foam insulation was just finished, and we are going there to finish off the ceilings, and rip up the last of the old flooring.

The steps to the upstairs bedroom will be put in this weekend i think, as well as the outside steps/deck.

New flooring has been ordered and should be here next week. Then we need to tape and Spackle, paint, and lay the floor down amongst other smaller things.

Then the shed/shop needs to be assembled and set up.

Still lots to do...definitely crunch time!!!
  12. Sep 30, 2014, 5:31 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #12

Ok folks, i am offically out of the old place and in the new place sort of.

All our stuff is still ijn boxes in the basement at my inlaws. Our place is still not done...still need to put the floors down. tape/spackle the walls, and paint.....we are hoping all of this will be done in the next 2 weeks My shed will be ordered after the 8th of october and i should have it up and running within a week after that.

I should have the temp shop area set up within a week from today, and trying to get back to the commissions. Please be patient folks. Im not happy about how long this has taken, and it was supposed to be done in July...but no use crying over spilt milk, gotta just get this done! Im going to try to post pictures of where we are at so you can see how far behind we are. It sucks, but such is life...i will be back to business as soon as i can and i apologize for all the delays with the commissions:/
  13. Oct 1, 2014, 4:36 PM - Re: UPDATE: FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our move #13

So i keep getting messages from members wanting to know why thir stuff isnt done. I thought if i showed you the state of the plce i have moved into currently, maybe it would be more clear. Most of you were very understanding, but i have sensed a little frustration with some, i may be wrong on that point, but i figured showing what im doing may help.

our move was not normal as we were renovationg the rear of my inlaws house to move into since noone has lived there for years. We had to gut it completely and redo everything down to the plumbing and wiring. So here is my new place as it stands right now, i took these pictures right before i posted this.

As you can see there is still alot to be done. it is all one long room technically
    here is the kitchen/dining area. that is my fridge and stove wrapped up there. the floor will be done this weekend and runs through the entire apt.

this is out my front door...no stoop/stairs yet

face the other way, and here is here is the livingroom/office area. My desk will be on the wall right by the window, and my wife's oposite mine under the stairs. that is my matrress on the left there and my couch on its side. The steps go up to an attic bedroom which is in the same state as downstairs but no sheetrock/insulation has been installed yet.

and here is the corner of the yard where the 10X10 shed/shop will be going:

So im sleeping on my inlaws couch until this is done. So please bare with me folks...this isnt fun for me either!
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Oct 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM.
    Oct 1, 2014, 7:00 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #14

No worries Darth Voorhees, take your time and do it right.
    Looks like hard work ... but rewarding after you're done.
    The upgrade will be good for the home owners too!
    Make sure you got a warm place to live once winter's bite starts nipping at yer arse in a few months.
  15. Oct 5, 2014, 8:51 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #15

thanks Ty, i apprecaite that. Im doing the best i can! I really want to get back to my commissions/props.
    Oct 6, 2014, 4:03 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #16

Best of luck with the new place Lou!
  17. Oct 6, 2014, 6:52 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #17

thanks bud!

Well we got about 98% of the floor down yesterday...so thats some progression. The shed is going to be ordered in a few days and shouldnt take too long to put togther. Of course my father in law insists we make a concrete base rather than wood, (which is definately better, ut i was ok with the wood just to save time) so we are waiting on him to have his concrete guy come and pour it. ..hes also pouring concrete for the base of our deck. So hopefully this will be done soon so i can get bck to work

i feel awful that ive been out of commission for this long. i know a few people are waiting on me. I will try and make it up to you all once im up and running again.
  18. 3 Weeks Ago - Nov 1, 2014, 10:49 AM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #18

Wanted to update everyone, especially those of you waiting for commissions from me.

The floor is now down! ....but thats all that has really been done. Our kitchen cabinets are now here, but we are assembling them still. I'll try and snap some pics when the wife isnt sleeping on the couch.

So first off, my wife had to have surgery on her ankle/leg because there was a metal plate and some pins and screws in it from when she broke her ankle in high school, and the metal was never removed. It was really starting to hurt her, so that needed to be done. The surgery went well, but now she is on crutches for about 2-3 weeks until it heals. So she needs assistance getting around the house and using the bathroom. After that she will be able to walk around but on a limited basis until shes back at full capacity. Probably about 2-3months total time.

She's sleeping on the couch because our mattress is on the floor in what will be the kitchen area of the house. The attic bedroom hasn't been touched yet. We set up as much as we can in here to be semi-livable, but it is still far from done. The walls are just bare sheetrock still. No tape/spackle or paint. Part of the celing is still not done, as we need to put the heating ducts in. So yes, we have no heat, and its starting to get cold. Been using a space heater to try and keep warm, and sleeping with 3 comforters. Around the windows still isnt framed so we also have no blinds/shades. We cant tack up curtains because the cats just rip em down.

By far the most important part of all of this to you guys, would be my shop. Well my father inlaw saw the shed kit were were getting and said it was garbage and wants to buil it himself. Sounds good to me. For the cost of the pre-fabed shed, we can build one the same size and insulate it and put in a window. We also have the advantage of using a standard house front door , and putting it in a corner rather then having the double barn door thing in the middle of one wall like the pre fabbed shed had. It will also have electricity run to it, and a couple of exhaust vents.

All that said, it was supposed to go up this weekend....but now its raining like crazy and pretty cold out, so we cant do it this weekend.

SInce we cant do the shed, we are going to do the heating ducts and frame out what needs to be framed in the attic bedroom and sheetrock as much as we can.

I know this has been way longer than any of you expected and i apologize greatly. I didnt expect this to take this long either. All of this was supposed to be done in the summer so i could finish you commissions in a reasonable amount of time and during nice weather. Luckily the shop will be insulated and the space heater we are using in the apt will be moved to the shop, which it will heat better than the apt since the shop is 10X10 and the apt is about 30X15. But unfortunately i cant do anything about the time.

My father in law is doing all the work, and he has a regular day job, so he cant really do much during the week when he gets home from work. This weekend getting rained out really sucks..i really was hoping my next post would be "the shop is up and im on the commissions!"...but unfortunately this is not the case

I hate saying this but, here will likely be no updates on any commissions until this shop is up.

I have a small space set up in the basement, anout 4X4 and i can do small work on top of a dresser in the basement, so im getting a blaster commission done and out shortly. I can cast greeblies but thats bout all i really have space for.

Anyway, i really appreciate everyones paience with this situation and in the end it will be worth it, hopefully for both of us!

Hope everyone had a great halloween! I assembled cabinets! ..ugh lol
    -Lou
  19. 1 Week Ago - Nov 11, 2014, 11:43 AM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #19

Ok well we just found out that we have been cut of for money for the renovatrions/shed/shop from my wifes grandmother until possibly January. i am beyond furious about this. My Inlaws arent managing this correctly at all. They keep going overboard on everything. Instead of going with what works, and is decent, they are getting top of the line stuff and now they overspent, so now my wifes grandmother said to stop. I have no shed, no kitchen sink/counter tops, no sink/vanity in my bathroom, the bedroom is still not even started.

We DO have heat now though, so i guess that's a plus.

But you guys dont need to worry yourselves about that stuff...the most importsant part of all of this for you guys is the shed/shop...which may now be on hold until January.

At this point, if i was working id just refund you all, because this is absolutely ridiculous. Its getting colder by the week and by the time we can buy it, it will be too cold to build it.

They have a 6'X8' trailer they want to temp convert to a shop for me but i really dont see how that is going to help. i need my stuff set up so i can get to everything whenever i may need it. this is going to be a huge mess, i can see it already

Because i have no job still, i cant find a way to refund any of you unless i sell whats left of my Fett. If that happens, i am done with Fett because i am NOT going through all i went though again to get a nice Fett, even if just for display.

I am really trying to weigh my options and see what i can possibly do in the 2ft space i have set up on top of a dresser in the basement.

this move was a very bady planned out thing. Because i have little to no space to work i cant make anything to sell to get me any money. So at this point , my bank account is negative, i have 0 in my personal Paypal account, my credit card bill is months behind, i owe my old electric company money i owe a few of you helmets, and i am flat broke. My inlaws just basically ruined my business

I REALLY dont want to sell my Fett but i am running out of options

i ma not happy at all right now
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; 1 Week Ago at 1:08 PM.
    1 Week Ago - Nov 11, 2014, 4:20 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #20

I am so sorry to hear about this, Lou. I really wish I was in a position to help because you are a great dude. I truly hope that something starts to work out for you in the positive. Trials and tribulations, man. Good people don't deserve this kind of misfortune.
    1 Week Ago - Nov 11, 2014, 4:53 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #21

Hey Lou. Very sorry to hear about this. I wish there was something I could do. I don't know where you are, but some cities have these shared workshops called Makerspaces. Maybe there is one near you? Or talk to a local high school/college to use their space? I work at a secondary school and know that we rent out space to the public. Something to look into? I'm sure if you told them your situation, they would be willing to help. Maybe even if you had to do an open workshop/lesson of your own to show kids what you do, that would be more of an incentive to use their space.

Just spitballing.

Keep that chin up bud. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
  22. 1 Week Ago - Nov 11, 2014, 5:09 PM - Re: UPDATES! ..getting the ball rolling on our move/renovation #22

thank you boith for your concerns

I THINK i have a viable option...i am going to refund just the helmets, as i can. The 2 that were other makers helmets i will offer to forward them to another painter, or ship back to them. The others, i will just give full refunds.

I can do the armor in the trailer set up i think, as well as the 1 Jetpack i currently have here. Helmets are just to time consuming and tedious to do in a open trailer in the cold with a heater running.

I will PM everyone about the helmet refunds