[FONT=Calibri]So without saying this is without a doubt the nerdiest thingI've ever done ; )....but what a blast anyhow. So over the Holiday my 4 yearold son acquired some amazing SW items including but not limited to The Vintage Collection AT-AT (I accidently purchased one for myself as well), Black Series Fett, Black series 3.75" Scout and Biggs as well as the little gem you see below.
[FONT=Calibri]Now this being said, I just couldn't get over how great these new sculpts are. In fact, they are so great that I felt it was necessary to display them properly. Although I have quite a bit of my 80's vintage stuff from when I was a kid, I needed to get my hands on the Dagobah playset vehicle(Deadland to the rescue). In conversation Rob graciously offered his up for agreat price. In getting my hands on this missing piece I could strip, refurbish and trick this bad boy out in order to create the organic environment whichcould allow these figures to shine...and so, here begins the ULTIMATE 80's VINTAGE DAGOBAH PLAYSET RESTORATION!
[FONT=Calibri]Above is a nice shot of what we started with. Now, don't let the "POO-brown" fool you! This sculpt is actually beautiful and discussing with the Temecula boys and Thirdthree it was really a shame they couldn't garner a nicer paint scheme...For example,There are 6 reptiles/ insects, a spoon and bowl in Yoda's hut as well as 5 "fruit bulbs" on the foliage I never even noticed... I wanted to bring light to these details. Next, the playset is actually pretty unique in that it represents several scenes simultaneously; Luke in hand stand training, Yoda's hut scene and the spirit of Darth Vader...Pretty cool. And, let's not stop there...once the actual playset is completely restored, why not scratch build a massive base representative of the entire swampy planet of Dagobah?!
In watching a couple impressive videos on youtube by "budgetjedi" (in which he puts together these really simple,yet intricate dioramas using his 3.75" figure collection) I began to think foam and plaster may be the way to go. That being said, for the display base, I decided to go with foam core, floral foam and plaster cloth for my medium. Luckily I was able to carefully dismantle this beautiful piece and begin the paint process w/ my usual Rustoleum primer followed by various model master custom mixes and quite a bit of fictitious organic material from Michaels.
Below are some of the images I used for inspiration along w/ pausing the blue ray edition of ESB several hundred times ; ).
Here are some images showing the paint progression. I should have final photos in the next few days.