Troop all day or....?

From
    Norwalk, CT

Troop all day or....?

Here I am in my hotel in Richardson -- getting ready for Star Wars Fan Days II tomorrow. I am v. excited! After lsitening to a voicemail from Alex, it dawns on me:

The costume contest tomorrow is not until around 5pm, but I plan on getting to the convention before the doors open (since I have some setup to check on at the Hasbro Millennium Falcon display). Should I:

a) Get there early, dress early, troop as the Fett for the entire day and enter the costume contest at 5pm?
    b) Still get there early, but bring the costume in a trunk, dress in the afternooon, troop a few hours, and enter the contest?
    c) Just put the costume on now, sleep in it, eat breakfast in it, drive over to the con and troop in it all day to enter the contest with authentic "been chasing bounties and no time to shower" smell?
    I'm wondering if I'm asking too much of myself to be in the outfit for 8 hours or so. It's my first convention, but I have done Toy Fairs in costumes for 10 hours at a time. I think the helmet is the big unknown for me.

Just wondering what people have been able to tolerate in the past. From what I've read here previously, Andy would go for "c", but what about less hardcore BHs?

-Chris

p.s. ATTN ALL ATTENDEES: STOP BY THE HASBRO DISPLAY AND TAKE THE CELL PHONE SURVEY TO ENTER THE MILLENNIUM FALCON RAFFLE!!

It'll make me look good to the Hasbro Star Wars team if we get a load of people taking it!

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

Re: Troop all day or....?

I don't know man, I wouldn't troop that much just as you are wanting to enter a contest. I have trooped for 16 hours straight before, I don't recommend that. (Thank you CIV!)

I would troopp a little before the contest. That way you can make any last minute adjustments or emergency repairs. But not too much prior. Your posture will slump and people can still instinctively read that.

From
    Beaverton, Oregon

I would definitely choose option B and suit up an hour or two before the contest. You will be able to enjoy the convention and be able to see everything without having to pose for a picture every other minute. You will also be much more refreshed and your costume will look better. I find that my posture starts to slump after more than two hours when I troop. The jet pack really starts to weigh you down. Than again, I am a wimp.:o Bottom line; suit up for as long as you can handle it while still having fun.

From
    Jackson, Ohio

I would go for option C myself. But then again I prolly won't even get to wear my suit for a while. My belly has grown over the last year. Thanks McDonalds. I'm gonna at least try and squeeze into it for my son's first trick or treat outing. My wife decided he was gonna be Yoda.

Seriously though. I would go with B.

From
    Norwalk, CT

Thanks for the advice, all! I'm thinking B now, too. Maybe suit up a couple of hours before to take pics, etc.

go hardcore, go for C be a REAL fett! LOL j/k. I'd go with A, simply because I do love wearing my armor, but for just a PMCS, option B should work.

From
    Seoul, South Korea

Certainly go for B epecially for you first time out in it. For all the reasons that have been mentioned, posture being the main one and you want to still feel like your havin fun and not to feel that wearing it is a chore. Unless you've got ventilation in your lid, it's gonna get stuffy in there after a couple of hours. But hey that's just me

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

i'd suggest plan b. in my (limited) trooping experiece i've learned i can be in costume for about four hours before i'm ready to scream get me out of the GD thing. i can't even begin to fathom pulling eight hours in boba.

From
    Deroit

Go for option B, just to be safe. Stay fresh until the contest and then win it.

Got to be C. I once did a week long support of The One Man Star Wars show in London (10 hours a day for 8 days straight)... nothing like that authentic been through hell and back smell for pure realism
    I'd go with option a though. Have some fun trooping the day, being a camera tart and the ego-maniac we all become when we put on our costumes; and then go cap off a great day by winning the contest. Sounds like heaven to me!
    Last edited by OrtharRrith; Oct 25, 2008 at 7:59 AM.

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

I want to say C but...
    But "B" is your best choice, I trooped 2 weekends ago at my local Comic Con and it was only for 3.5 hrs..with the intention of entering the costume contest.
    I was excited, yet tired of the picture taking every 5 feet , and my trapezius muscles were sore as heck, It must have been the harness, its been a while since i last trooped in my sandtrooper (6yrs).
    I couldn't lift my arms. I didn't even get to look at anything...

so Enjoy the con first, then bask in the lime light as Fett a few hrs after.

From
    Fishers, IN

I'm glad I'm not the only wimp in the bunch! That jet pack is a killer after about 2-3 hours. After that, my shoulders go numb and I can't feel it. Not sure if that is a good thing or not!

Go with "B" Chris...you'll enjoy yourself more.

C sounds like fun

10 hours is the most i've done, and i wanted to cry by the end of it

OK, first of all, I've never trooped and am not a 501st member. However, after several years of wearing/making Halloween and theater costumes and make up, I'd say option B.

Troop a little before the contest, so you have a test run. That will allow you to fix anything that needs fixing or tweaking before the costume contest. I would not wear a costume all day. Take it from a guy who had to wear his costume all day at work because he was too scatter brained to remember to take a change of clothes.