TDH Insider Ad Update- Ad was declined by LFL-See post 12

From
    San Antonio Texas

Re: TDH Insider Ad Update

ahh...thanks...missed that one.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: TDH Insider Ad Update- Ad was declined by LFL-See post 12

I for one think this might be all about timing. This comes way to close to the same time that the British courts ruled in favor of LFL for copyright infringement. We, who are in this community understand the distinction between Ainsworth and us, While most at LFL understand that distinction as well, it's the timing of the add in conjuction with the ruling. There are plenty of people who sell items here. Why are we allowed to buy and sell copyright infringed items here while Ainsworth isn't. We know why, most at LFL do, some of LFL lawyers might, but they still need to be able to think like people who may not understand the distinction. Ainsworth and others who have had action taken against them could easily point to our ad and have some sort of legal leg to stand on to claim "why are they allowed but I'm not"

If we don't get some sort of response of something that needs to be changed, I say wait 6 months, change something minor and resubmit it.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

NEF, you hit the nail on the head. I feel like this could be exactly the reason, and can't really fault LFL if it is. They have to do what they feel is best for the defense of their copyright. While it may be frustrating for us, we would probably do the same things if we were in their shoes.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

never_ending_fett said: View Post
    I for one think this might be all about timing. This comes way to close to the same time that the British courts ruled in favor of LFL for copyright infringement. We, who are in this community understand the distinction between Ainsworth and us, While most at LFL understand that distinction as well, it's the timing of the add in conjuction with the ruling. There are plenty of people who sell items here. Why are we allowed to buy and sell copyright infringed items here while Ainsworth isn't. We know why, most at LFL do, some of LFL lawyers might, but they still need to be able to think like people who may not understand the distinction. Ainsworth and others who have had action taken against them could easily point to our ad and have some sort of legal leg to stand on to claim "why are they allowed but I'm not"

If we don't get some sort of response of something that needs to be changed, I say wait 6 months, change something minor and resubmit it.
    My thoughts exactly!!!! Still, kind of a bummer.
    D

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaahhh.. Thats right.. completely forgot about him actually. Yeah id say that'd do it.. :P

Its funny, everytime i hear of that guy i think of the chef from 'Cant Cook, Wont Cook' Ainsley Harriot.. and that Red Dwarf episode he did... but enough of that, back to topic.

Id have to say its a bit of bad timing on our part.. im sure a little later down the line the opportunity may be able to be presented once more, but i suppose that will be a waiting game. Pity, i was hoping to put in for the next chance of being in an add.. :S

never_ending_fett said: View Post

Sorry guys..but I'm of the mind that TDH Fett costumes present in the ad probably looked better than the LFL Fett costume they're planning to release. It's my humble opinion that they would prefer us to be consumers of they're new costume line rather than builders of our own.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Hay man of war, do you know if the new costume they are gonna release, as it comes, will be '501' approved. Im going to have to cackle if its not Wouldnt that be just the most i-mo-ronic case ever

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

This is definitely a shame. I didn't see it coming especially after being at the table when Steve said he was optimistic and even gave his reasons behind his optimism. Nonetheless, thanks a whole bunch for continuing to pursue this and the reasoning behind its disapproval.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

We defintiely haven't given up yet. We are looking into several avenues to see what, if anything, can be done. Lets keep hoping!

From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona

Please, let's make sure that we do not turn this into a bash LFL thread. We exist only by their good graces, which we are thankful for. It is unfortunate that the ad was declined, but hopefully there is something we can do differently. If not, that is their decision and their prerogative. Again, we are thankful that they allow TDH to exist and if we never get to do an ad, it certainly won't be the end of the world or of TDH.

Re: TDH Insider Ad Update

Sorry to hear about this, I hope that they don't leave us hanging with no reason behind it, even if you are right on your presumptions.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to see how the ad looks.

G-Fett

All I want to know is if the ad doesn't run, do I still get paid??

Just kidding, I'm TDH's design/branding slave and I know it.

Here's to hoping we gain some understanding not only for this instance, but for future reference as well.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    NEF, you hit the nail on the head. I feel like this could be exactly the reason, and can't really fault LFL if it is. They have to do what they feel is best for the defense of their copyright. While it may be frustrating for us, we would probably do the same things if we were in their shoes.

I definately don't fault LFL for it, I can see exactly where they are coming from on it. Glad we are on the same page, great minds think alike ! Like I said, 6 months down the line the exact ad just might get approved. But if you've got other avenues to check before waiting it out, definately give that a try!

From
    Las Vegas, NV

OK, I got the "official" scoop, thanks to Philip Wise and Steve Sansweet. LFL has nothing against this group or the ad. However, due to broader issues (not pertaining to us at all) that unfortunately won't be resolved any time soon, they don't feel it would be in their best interest to allow the ad to run. Lets not speculate or dig into it more than that as LFL has given their reasons and that is that.

While I am disappointed, I respect and support LFL's decision and appreciate 1) them allowing us to exist at all and 2) giving us an answer and not leaving us in limbo. With all of that being said, here is the final ad as we submitted it. The original concept was created by TK409, with heavy modification and final design by Gino. I also want to thank Bubba Fett for helping us get the ad in the first place. He did a lot of behind the scenes work to get adspace for us at a very comtetive rate. Also, thanks to all of those who were featured in the ad as well as all of those who volunteered to be featured in the ad. As I have said before, your continued support of this site is what makes TDH a great place to be.

On a final note, here is the ad as we submitted it. Hope you like it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tdh_ad_final_layout-jpg  
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; Aug 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

Thanks for sharing the ad Art, it looks great. Thanks to everyone who contributed to a very professional looking piece of work.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Wow, that's an awesome looking ad Art...you really outdid yourself. I don't understand why an ad pertaining to a Star Wars fan group isn't in the best interest of LFL...but I guess they have their reasons.

Did they give any hope of this happening at all in the future?

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Well, it certainly was one heck of a beautiful ad!!!! Would have really fit nicely in the insider!!! Hopefully they will let us have it in there at a later time!!
    D

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

I set that image as my desktop background. It looks great! Great job, everyone involved! Anyone mind if I spread this around various bulletin boards?

From
    Orange County, Ca

everyones suits and the ad look amazing. understandable on lfl's part. As hard as it is to not get defensive we all should be thankfull we can do this.

From
    New Orleans

Sorry it didn't make it. The ad looks fantastic, great work on it guys!

From
    Massachusetts

Sorry to hear that it was denied however it doesn't surprise me in the least given the sensitive nature of the fine line we all tread on.

Great work EVERYONE involved! Kudos to you all!

Art, you should totally take that ad and make it into posters or fliers or SOMETHING for the next TDH table wherever it may be!

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Well it was worth a try. Thank you all for trying so hard to make it work. Perhaps we can use it as a flyer to have on the TDH table at Cons?

From
    Newport News, VA

It's a shame the ad was disapproved, it looks fantastic!
    I'm going to print it out and glue it into an issue of the Insider anyway.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Darn you Bob!! lol
    Last edited by zxwing; Aug 4, 2008 at 7:22 PM.

From
    The Cold Widwest

Yes, thats dissapointing that TDH didn't make it to the Insider. I had sworn not to buy another issue about 3 or 4 years ago, but I hands down would of picked up the Insider with the TDH ad in it.