Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2009, 2:42 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #26

Rogue Studios pointed out to me that in Batha Tracks #5, one of the first time Boba was seen, the pack is labeled a "rocket pack."

As I was looking at that, it made me wonder if the "rocket" in "rocket pack" is not referring to the propulsion system but to the fact that the pack has a rocket/missle on top? Again, I know, super-nerdy, but is this actually a "rocket carrying jet pack"?

Thanks to Rogue Studios for reminding me of the Bantha Tracks labelling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 04a.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	34321  
    Jun 17, 2009, 2:45 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #27

That is cool Art. I have never seen that particular Write-up about Boba. Thanks for sharing!
  3. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2009, 2:54 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #28

It is certainly one of the very earliest mentions and is very cool.
  4. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jun 17, 2009, 3:14 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #29

Just one Q Art, where are the Rocket Pack controls (#2)?

I had never seen this, nice
    Jun 17, 2009, 3:14 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #30

In that labeling they also give the spike sticking out the top of the pack the label of "Grappling Hook"
    Since we know this was what it was originally intended to be both by design and designation by the people in the supertrooper video, but also would come to be known as a "missile" or "projectile rocket" of some sort I think its a matter of what nomenclature you want to use.

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000743.html

In this video which I would say is the very earliest that the Fett costume is talked about, the name "Jet Pack" is used twice. Bantha Tracks would have been after this video and alot of their terms seem to be different then other official terms.
    Like #4 "Camel view & finder" and using the term "climbing spikes" for the toe spikes which have been called other things in their time.

I think its all in what people want to use. Jet Pack seems to get the vote and there is also a substantial argument for that term.
    Jun 17, 2009, 3:23 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #31

While we are on the subject of this nerdy stuff, I always wondered about the magnetic grappling hook part??? So the purpose of that, would be to shoot it at something above you, (like a catwalk or other structure), and then presumably use it to propell yourself up via an attached cable. Well why the heck would you need to use that if you have a JP??? LOL

I guess to save your JP fuel??? LOL
  7. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jun 17, 2009, 3:42 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #32

I completely agree!
  8. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2009, 4:28 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #33

Quote Jango's kid said: View Post
    While we are on the subject of this nerdy stuff, I always wondered about the magnetic grappling hook part??? So the purpose of that, would be to shoot it at something above you, (like a catwalk or other structure), and then presumably use it to propell yourself up via an attached cable. Well why the heck would you need to use that if you have a JP??? LOL

I guess to save your JP fuel??? LOL
    GREAT question! Didn't quite think that one through did they...
  9. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2009, 4:30 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #34

BTW, I think a lot of these terms must have originated with Jose Johnston as there are concept drawing with the toe spikes being used as climbing spike and the grappling rocket being used as such...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnston 0219 Sketch.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	34324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnston 0220 Sketch.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	405.3 KB 
ID:	34325  
    Jun 17, 2009, 4:38 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #35

Although I haven't quite figured out the purpose of the grappling hook, I subscribe to the double feature theory of the rocket. That is, the top part of the rocket can shoot separately as a grappling hook. Alternatively, the entire rocket can fire as seen in AOTC.

The conical shape of the rocket lends support to the idea that the rocket is an armor buster. The conical shape is based on the Monroe Effect, which is designed to focus all the energy in a particular direction, and detonate it a slight distance (inches) away from the target, causing the greatest armor piercing effect. That is why all modern RPG's, or other similar explosive devices are shaped in that way. The grappling hooks could also actually just be stabilizer fins, like a modern RPG has.
  11. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jun 17, 2009, 4:40 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #36

I think that's the first time I see the second pic That's good
  12. The Sniffer is offline The Sniffer
    Jun 18, 2009, 9:16 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #37

Perhaps when the Fett breaks wind there is a connection from hid hind part to the Jet pack "itself" . . . therefore that is where the fuel is and a mechanism in the jet pack to light it up. As we all know. Flatulence is combustable.

And there you have it my friends!

LOL
    Jun 18, 2009, 9:35 PM - Re: Super Nerdy - Jet Pack or Rocket Pack #38

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    Rogue Studios pointed out to me that in Batha Tracks #5, one of the first time Boba was seen, the pack is labeled a "rocket pack."

As I was looking at that, it made me wonder if the "rocket" in "rocket pack" is not referring to the propulsion system but to the fact that the pack has a rocket/missle on top? Again, I know, super-nerdy, but is this actually a "rocket carrying jet pack"?

Thanks to Rogue Studios for reminding me of the Bantha Tracks labelling.
    Rogue Studios also lists the armour as being that of an Imperial Shocktroper, which we all know is inacurate as well......"Jet Pack" just sounds better....