Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Jan 10, 2008, 10:20 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #26

another version??..hmm i don't know if my wallet can handle another one. However i'm sure i'll get it since i'm an addict
    Jan 10, 2008, 10:20 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #27

SEEKER said: View Post

I love you man
    Dude, my name aint, Jo-se or Lew-is! I'm sorry but the extent of my commitment ends at Xbox Live!

Well, I'm rooting for HD as I love my Xbox too much.

"Blue Ray" just sounds like something I should be ordering grilled, with the rice pilaf, and a side of mixed veggies at Fisherman's Warf!
    Jan 10, 2008, 10:24 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #28

I can't really understand all this HD and blu-ray either.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 10, 2008, 11:01 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #29

Everything is going HD anyway, I don't see a future for Blu-Ray. Could go either way though. I voted for HD-DVD, popular vote doesn't always win.
    Jan 10, 2008, 11:10 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #30

Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    There are no real differences in the format. The Blu-Ray disk is larger in capacity, but HD-DVD is working on multiple layered disks that are even larger...so that's kind of a moot point.
    BluRay has a larger capacity and also uses double layered discs that still have more capacity than HD-DVD.

BluRay discs are also thicker than standard DVDs (and HD-DVDs) so they are very scratch resistant.

It is the same format (1080p) and the same technology, it's just that BluRay has a different lense to refract the beam to a smaller area. HD-DVD was around first, but Sony split because they weren't developing the technology fast enough.
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:41 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #31

About a week or two ago, Warner Bros claimed their dropping Hd-dvd and sticking with just Blue ray, which from what it sounds like, is enough to end the war right there.. I read New Line Cinema and a few others did the same days later..

I have both, so I didn't care who won, but I think Hd-dvd will be dead soon.. I don't think they need a poll.. They're gonna put it on blue ray..
    Jan 11, 2008, 1:51 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #32

Yep, another HD voter here. I have a 360 and got the HD-DVD player for it for XMAS and I've got 12 movies now. If we don't start getting other movies, like from sony and disney, I may eventually have to get a ps3...solely for the blu-ray player. and if SW is only released on Blu-Ray, that will be a definite. It really sux that Warner is going BR only, but rumor has it Disney and 20th Century Fox may be jumping ship for BR, which was why they got warner to do the switch. Besides, i'm happy with Universal...we get BSG, and in the future, we also get Back to the Future
  8. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:09 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #33

Cruzer said: View Post
    No, PS3 online gaming sucks from what I hear. I'll stick with my 360 Live.

I voted HD already.

So what are the differences then?
    online gaming is fantastic, and will only get better with home.
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:10 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #34

Delta75 said: View Post
    What makes you think HD-DVD will be gone Turo?

Sony created Blu-Ray and to this day, no original Sony created format has lasted.
    The formats are pretty much identical Cruzer.
    Everyone is supporting bluray. After Warner Bros. joined em last week, it was clinched... aside from that they outsell the other 3:1
  10. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:11 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #35

Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    There are no real differences in the format. The Blu-Ray disk is larger in capacity, but HD-DVD is working on multiple layered disks that are even larger...so that's kind of a moot point. The reason Blu-Ray is now "winning" the war is that it is backed by more studios. But it's also way too expensive still, so it'll be a while before people fully embrace it.
    BluRay had higher sound quality because it's uncompressed... MAJOR DIFFERENCE
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:11 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #36

MandoMan said: View Post
    Is HD-DVD considered evil? It's being represented by a red saber...

I've got a 360, so if we get a better TV, I'd rather just get the HD drive and be done than drop $500+ on a system with games I can already play on the 360.
    Don't waste money on this generations betamax. Go bluray...
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:17 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #37

CaptJono said: View Post
    To answer a couple questions...
    Both HD & BR have the same picture specks, and almost identical audio, so from this point of view they are equal.
    Both have horrible DRM built-in, not slapped on at the last minute like DVD.

HD DVD's main advantages are :
    1 its cheeper to produce for manufactures
    2 Its format was much better defined at time of release

Blue Ray's advantages
    1 Much bigger capacity per layer & more layers
    2 Its got the movies.

If you get a PS3 you can update the BR drive's firmware to the latest standard and delete point 2 from HDDVD's list.

My vote is for both formats to fail, the DRM is too brutal.
    Just wait till you try to play your own home movies on these players via HDMI, and get a message from your TV saying you dont have the right to watch this movie. This has already happened to people.....

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Audio is better on Bluray... uncompressed= better sound
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:21 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #38

askywalker98 said: View Post
    You can download them in HD already via torrents. Sorry Seeker, but what games on the PS3? Blu-Ray has the optimal quality, if you can tell the difference, so I'm going to have to vote BR. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see a dual format release, as well as a special special edition.

Vote wisely!
    Don't make this a gaming debate. This is about a superior movie format. The games are a bonus.
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:23 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #39

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Everything is going HD anyway, I don't see a future for Blu-Ray. Could go either way though. I voted for HD-DVD, popular vote doesn't always win.

Blu ray and HD DVD are both HD. Oh, and there's a huge future in Bluray. Seriously... look at some stats, or possibly the studios and their exclusivity.
  15. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:24 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #40

Tension113 said: View Post
    About a week or two ago, Warner Bros claimed their dropping Hd-dvd and sticking with just Blue ray, which from what it sounds like, is enough to end the war right there.. I read New Line Cinema and a few others did the same days later..

I have both, so I didn't care who won, but I think Hd-dvd will be dead soon.. I don't think they need a poll.. They're gonna put it on blue ray..
    New Line is owned by Time Warner, so Warner bros an New line were apart of the same transition.
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:40 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #41

Pizzaman, there's a Multi-quote option.
    Last edited by Cruzer; Jan 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM.
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:45 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #42

pizzaman24 said: View Post
    Audio is better on Bluray... uncompressed= better sound
    Betamax was made by sony. :o
    Jan 11, 2008, 12:47 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #43

Dang pizzaman, you come off as quite the Sony fanboy there. Funny you say that HD-DVD will be this generation's betamax when betamax was Sony's "superior" format to VHS.
    Jan 11, 2008, 1:36 PM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #44

Geez pizzaman. That's a handful of posts there.

I wasn't trying to make this a gaming debate. Hopefully people will just vote for what they want/the player they have right now. I vote bluray, because it's the easiest to rip, compress, and torrent. I don't have much intention of paying $25+ per movie.
  20. Jan 12, 2008, 12:08 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #45

voted, I would have voted for both, considering the question said tomorrow. Besides, I thought 2oth Century Fox backed HD-DVD, of which they are the original distrubuters of the Star Wars films, one of which they own.
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Jan 12, 2008, 12:27 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #46

You guys keep fooling with your Blu-Ray and your HD-DVD...Lazer Disc will come back, and when it does, you guys will be handing me moneh.
    Jan 12, 2008, 1:01 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #47

This is pretty much a VHS vs. Betamax debate. One may be better quality than the other, but it all depends on consumers.
    Jan 12, 2008, 2:13 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #48

The Clayster said: View Post
    You guys keep fooling with your Blu-Ray and your HD-DVD...Lazer Disc will come back, and when it does, you guys will be handing me moneh.
    I've still got my laser-disc copy of the original trilogy!

Now all I need is a laser-disc player...
  24. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Jan 12, 2008, 2:52 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #49

TeamFett said: View Post
    This is pretty much a VHS vs. Betamax debate. One may be better quality than the other, but it all depends on consumers.
    And to the average consumer it is going to come down to price. What will be cheaper..?
    Jan 12, 2008, 10:48 AM - Re: StarWars.com High Definition Poll - Go vote!! #50

Jun Garros Fett said: View Post
    And to the average consumer it is going to come down to price. What will be cheaper..?
    As for the movies themselves the same price for new releases. As for the player the HD-DVD player is about $80 less than the BluRay. Consumers will normally pay alittle more for (what they think) is a better brand. Right now it all comes down to price point.