So I got my SW collection out of the closet today...

From
    Pittsburgh

So I got my SW collection out of the closet today...

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...lol) my mother had to watch someone's kids for a week and they had to stay in my room so she asked me to take anything of value out of my room so it didn't get destroyed... natrually, they Star Wars collection had to go heh... well I went to college etc... so a couple years later I take it back out to set it up on display in my basement. Unfortunately the majority of my stormtroopers acquired a yellowish tint to them... some are white with yellow on their back... anyone know how it could have happened? I had them boxed up and in a closet, how could my stormies become discolored? All my ships and other figures were fine, just my stormtroopers got discolored.

El1te

From
    Arkansas

Re: So I got my SW collection out of the closet today...

I have no idea why white turns yellowish I have a vintage R2, and it's got some yellowish blotches on it.

From
    Minneapolis

This isn't too unusual. It's just the plastic breaking down or reacting to certain chemicals, and there isn't a way to reverse it. All you can do is store your figures in a cool, dark, dry place and cross your fingers.

The same thing happens with other figures (green-limbed chewy, Leia, Luke, R2 etc.) and the blisters of carded figs. No one expected our favorite figs to last this long when they first came out. Unfortunately, this is what will eventually happen to all of them.

From
    The Cold Widwest

Dengar'd be correct, ALL toys will eventualy do this, because realy, toys weren't meant to last 30+ years.

Most modern toys are made in better quality that their vintage counter-parts, but they to will do it one day. The CommTech Chip POTF2 figures's bubbles started yellowing in just a few years. I expect to find mine the same way someday....unless I can get my magic powers to work by then.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Funny you should mention this, as I am completely cleaning out my basement & going through all my stuff to. Unfortunately, most of my stuff isn't in too good of shape either. Too damp in the basement!!!
    D

From
    Pittsburgh

Man thats unfortunate... I'm gonna try my best to keep em from gettin any worse. They arent too bad now, you cant really tell. For some reason it happened on their backs, kinda odd heh...

El1te

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Keep all of your stuff in a dark place. No one was thinking about UV rays back then. Any light or amonia will do that to your toys. That's why when you buy vintage they state "smoke and pet free". Amonia is in both. If you have a display room keep it cool and no sunlight. Don't smoke or let your pets pee in that room. I have a huge collection and keep it climate contoled. The room has it's own AC unit, windows are blocked from sunlight and i have uv sensitive lights.

dengar99 said: View Post
    This isn't too unusual. It's just the plastic breaking down or reacting to certain chemicals, and there isn't a way to reverse it. All you can do is store your figures in a cool, dark, dry place and cross your fingers.

The same thing happens with other figures (green-limbed chewy, Leia, Luke, R2 etc.) and the blisters of carded figs. No one expected our favorite figs to last this long when they first came out. Unfortunately, this is what will eventually happen to all of them.
    Right. A lot of plastics (especially older ones) degrade and form tiny amounts of acids when they react with oxygen over time; the only "foolproof" way to prevent this would probably be to ship toys vacuum-packed and sealed.

In particular, nitric acid is one of the most common byproducts, which eats away at the remaining plastic and turns it yellowish/yellowish-brown. UV rays will also weaken the structure of the material and cause it to break down.

From
    The miserable mill

all my vintage stormtroopers have done the exact same thing. even my 1995 mailaway han solo stormtrooper has yellow limbs with a white torso

white plastic just stinks when it came to kenner toys

From
    Little Falls NY

b;each them and use a toothbrush, i work restoring NESes and the gray always does this. sometimes cleaning them like this works other times it doesn't. best of luck