Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 15, 2008, 9:11 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #26

excellent, PETE!! great work, and i wonder who helped ya out with the fiberglassing!!? awesome work! keep it up, and you'll get that 1st prize....
    Oct 15, 2008, 9:46 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #27

Thanks Darrell, and mrbungle!
    I also want to try to attach the flamethrower unit to the left gaunt, as well as the missile. See if time permits tonight...
  3. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 15, 2008, 9:57 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #28

you are all over it, PETEY!! just give me a shout this weekend if you need any help on those gauntlets...
    Oct 15, 2008, 10:05 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #29

Come on!!! hUrry up man, I need pics to entertain me!!!
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Oct 15, 2008, 12:09 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #30

Dude, if I can build my girlfriend a set of metal mando armor out of steel in 22 days, you can do this by the 25th.
    Oct 15, 2008, 12:12 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #31

Yeah thanks, I am making better progress, the more I work on it the better I feel about it.
    I'm feeling good about working on it tonight.
    I think I may get food poisoning to buy myself some more time
  7. Oct 15, 2008, 6:41 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #32

Dude, that Grand Prize has your name written all over it.

Btw, this is Jason.. told you I'd return
    Oct 15, 2008, 6:45 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #33

Goblin_Whirlwind said: View Post
    Dude, that Grand Prize has your name written all over it.

Btw, this is Jason.. told you I'd return
    Dude... I wouldn't get his hopes up, Though we all know Boba Fett is the coolest thing out there. weirder junk (bad costumes) have won over Fett.
    Oct 15, 2008, 7:22 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #34

Ha! Thanks J-Bot, I'm working hard to make sure that it happens.
    Oct 16, 2008, 7:40 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #35

Pretty mad about my lack of progress last night. Just one frustration after another.
    Spent way too much time looking for stuff while out shopping and only had about 3 hours to work once I got home. It was about 11:30 when I called it quits cuz my parents as well as the neighbors started to yell when they heard all the drilling and cutting.
    Didn't even touch my gauntlets last night, so nothing new on those.
    Tried to use Goop to stick in the visor; that was a mistake, should have just tried the bolt in method. Gonna have to go back to Lowes to get the right kind of t-bolts for that.
    Put a coat of aluminum on the armor. Nothing special.
    Got some foam (which took me forever to find, 2 out of three craft stores didn't have what I needed) to pad the gauntlets and helmet. Hope to do that tonight, after I bolt in the visor. Hope to put the flamethrower on tonight too.
    The only good thing that i did, was to install earth magnets on the helmet and the RF ear.

Messed up visor, yay:

And my messy and cramped workstation:

Starting to get really pessimistic about the costume contest. The advert for the Grave Digger's Ball doesn't actually specify that the grand prize is $1500, rather it just states that $1500 will be awarded. So that could mean that yeah 1st place gets alot, but the left over will go to the runner ups. Guess I was excited and just assumed possibly the wrong thing. But I'm not sure yet, will just have to wait and see.
    Oct 16, 2008, 8:35 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #36

Chin up bruv... we all hit a wall from time to time.
    And remember progress is progress after all?
    Oct 16, 2008, 8:43 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #37

That's right; a little bit of progress is better than none at all!

Thanks, Mojo.
  13. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 16, 2008, 9:00 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #38

keep it up, PETE!! you can do this, brother! looking good so far, and ya, i would do the t-bolt thing for the visor... that way it can be removed if you need to take it out...just give a shout when/if you get to that wall with the gauntlets!!
    Oct 16, 2008, 9:36 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #39

Your suit is looking really good!! Keep it up. On that contest though....judging from experience here, Its tough to say on that. Definately keep your hopes up, but as you mentioed earlier, the judges may very well pick the scanties clothed girl there. I have gone to a number of different contests over the years thinking I would have it sewed up. A few times I did win, but twice i got beat by chicks in swimsuits, and one time i got bead by a guy with a plunger on his head and a sign that "condom man"!!!!! Again, not trying to dash your hopes, just don't be to too bummed if you don't win. The main thing is that you have fun, and that you enjoy your suit!!! Even if you don't win this particular one, there will undobtedly be others that you will win!!!!! I'm pulling for you on this one though!!!
    D
    Oct 16, 2008, 9:49 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #40

Thanks, Darrell & Jango's Kid!

I'm definitely not counting all my chickens before they hatch, but am still keeping my hopes up at least a little bit.
    At least I should have a lot of photo ops and turn some heads.

This weekend I may lose some time to work on it all, since I will be out of town. Won't be able to paint, glue, or cut anything.

But I can take the armor and vest and helmet with me and work on vest attachment, and padding the gauntlets and helmet.
    Before that tho, I need to make sure I get the visor in tonight, and the flamethrower unit and hose connectors installed.
  16. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Oct 16, 2008, 10:15 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #41

I too have experienced the loss at a costume contest
    Wore my TK last year at work
    Got beat out by a pie.

Yeah, a pie.
    2 Driver's made a blackbird pie out of a child's swimming pool & a tan blanket.

anyway, glad you made some progress
    Oct 16, 2008, 10:24 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #42

A PIE?!?!?
    I'd be insulted.

Progress is progress after all, thanks.
    Oct 16, 2008, 2:11 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #43

Just got word of another costume contest in Charlotte on the 31st. This one is definitely giving $1,000 to the 1st prize winner. Only issue tho, it's at a Country bar. Not sure the audience of people attending would recognize or appreciate my entry. But I'll look into it and give it a shot maybe, unless I catch word of other contests or better parties are happening closer to home on Halloween night.
    Oct 16, 2008, 2:21 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #44

On the visor: quick and easy method is a hot glue gun. Used it on my old Fang. Put the visor in where you want it and put "beads" of glue on the corners on the inside. Less mess than Goop and you can do it in about 15-20 minutes. The bolt in method takes longer and I went through several visors before I got it right....
    Oct 16, 2008, 2:34 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #45

Keep in mind too, (again, speaking from experience,) that bars are not always the best place to wear your newly finnished suit!!! I've had a number of run-ins with intoxicated people who tug on this & that part of your suit. Had one guy pull my JP missle out once!!! I also had a very drunk lady take off with my blaster while I set it down to rest for a minute. Lucky I got it back!!!!! if you do go into a bar environment where there are potentially very intoxicated folks, its a good idea to have 1 or 2 buddies go along with you so they can keep an eye out for folks that might give you a hard time. Just a heads up!!!
    D
    Oct 16, 2008, 2:37 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #46

Oh yeah thanks Mad. I may try that too, I already ruined my last two visor screwing up on the bolt-in method I thought the Goop would work the best, but the curve of the visor isn't the same as the helmet, and my arms and hands got tired of holding it in there, so as soon as I let up pressure the visor just bent to its normal curve and slid right out, smearing Goop every where.

And yeah, Jango's Kid, that is one thing that still has me slightly worried. Don't want drunk morons messing with me, but I will have a few people watching my back.
    Oct 16, 2008, 2:51 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #47

Goop takes waaaaay too long to set for the visor. I always like hot glue best myself.
    Oct 16, 2008, 3:05 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #48

Thanks all. Guess I need to work on cleaning up the visor then, if that is even possible to get the Goop off. Any suggestions?
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Oct 16, 2008, 3:28 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #49

Acetone? I would probably NOT go that route though because it may eat through the visor. The stuff is pretty strong.

Hot glue or epoxy putty, epoxy putty if you don't want to worry about it coming loose...ever.
    Oct 16, 2008, 3:38 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #50

Ah, thanks NovallTalon!
    I'm going to get some epoxy putty when I am out at Lowe's tonight, and some epoxy putty too. Going to try just a teeny tiny bit of acetone first, to see the results before it messes up the visor even more.
    Preesh.