Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 9, 2008, 9:00 AM - SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #1

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks for all the wonderful help I've gotten so far from you all. I am close! Halloween is drawing near, so it's crunchtime! To make my deadline shorter, my girlfriend (unbeknownst to me at the time) bought a ticket for and entered me into a costume contest.

The contest is at Dixie's Tavern in Charlotte, NC on the 25th. The party is called the GraveDigger's Ball, and it's hosted by Katy Perry (of "I kissed a girl and I liked it" fame). Apparently it is going to be the biggest costume contest in Charlotte, with the first place winner to be award $1,500 CASH.
    For info, see http://www.dixiescharlotte.com/ .

Now, I am thinking, that since I've got everything in now, just waiting on a few things to arrive that were promised by the 31st, I can definitely win this. IF I can get it all together in time. I've got a ton of work to do, but I think I can do it. If my costume looks decent, then that 1st place prize is as good as mine, assuming of course that the judges like and know their Star Wars characters.

I'm worried, however, that they will all vote for the skankiest dressed girl there. Don't really know who is judging, or if it will be left up to the crowd. But I am sure to turn some heads at least.

Now on to the costume itself... Nothing special right now, only have a few pics so far.

Parts list/details:
    Helmet = Sgt. Fang, painted by me.
    RF stalk = BKBT
    RF lights = mrgr8ness
    RF = need to get another hollow one to fit the lights...
    Vest/Flightsuit = LadySewforus, weathered by jawafive
    Boots = CABoots
    Girthbelt = picked it up second hand from escho
    Ammo belt = CostumeBase
    All armor and gauntlets = Ruffkintoy, fresh out of the box, will be painted by me.
    Side pouches = Rimshot (his mother actually, but purchased through him)
    Spats = I forget but I will check on it
    Gloves = TK409's sis
    Cape = His name was Mike, but i forget his username on here
    Wookiee braids = some horsehair ones I bought secondhand from jawafive
    Boot spikes = BobaMaker
    Blaster = HotShot
    Jet Pack = not going to worry about that for a while...

My original budget was $600 (I had no idea at the time) but I stopped keeping track when I doubled that. Haha, oh well.

Now for some pics. Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone. My digital camera is broken, and I couldn't borrow anyone else's.

My helmet it the early stages,
    Freshly cut visor and green welding shield taped in

Just a little bit of paint on it (ignore the gauntlets in foreground, they are a different pair than the Ruffkin ones I just got)

Months later with more paint on.

Really unhappy with the paint on the mandibles, not accurate at all, but it gets the point across.

Closer view of front left side.

Here it is today, last bit fresh on the back, going to peel the masking off tonight. Should look good. Debating on whether or not I will add the small grey spots yet. Won't take much work, but I'll see tonight when I take the masking off. All thats left to do on the lid is the ears. Then attach everything, RF, Stalk, and visor, and padding on the inside.

Test fitting the vest the day I got it, a little small, but it's my fault for giving Debbi bad measurements

The armor laying on top of the vest for a little sizing up.

I'm too poor right now to get a bigger vest. Since the armor currently kinda hangs off over the armpits, I am thinking of trimming the edges down a bit to make everything fit. Still need to add dents.

And the rest of my armor and gauntlets.

That's it for now.
    Please comment on my paint job. I know the helmet does not look that great, and my paint skills are not doing Sgt Fang's helmet justice. While not BAD, it doesn't look half as good as some other people's. It IS my first paint up tho, and just so long as it gets the point across that, yeah I'm Boba Fett, that's all I care about right now.

Thanks,
    Last edited by LostSonOfSparda; Oct 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
  2. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 9, 2008, 11:32 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #2

awesome, Petey!!! looks really good! i see what you were saying yesterday about the armor and the vest...you are a little guy, arent ya!! hey, your voice makes up for it brother... nah, man, great job so far, looking awesome!! i would like to say, the mandibles are ok, and i think what would really make them look better, eventually, is to really focus on the finer details and scratches...get a 000 or similar paint brush, and really finely tune the damage areas...but man, great job for first time...remember my Rubies***? ya, you'll be amazed at that second attempt with the painting...
    Oct 9, 2008, 11:38 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #3

Hahaha, thanks Darrell. I actually DID forget about your Rubies, and thought your Sgt Fang was the first paint up you did. Thanks for reminding me, now I don't feel half bad about my painting skills (or rather, the lack thereof).
    I do need to add more red on the mandys. If I have time, I suppose...

Just got off the phone with a manager at Dixie's, and YES! they will allow me to bring my blaster. All I have to do is paint the tip of the barrel bright orange (Ew!) so when they inspect it at the door they can deem it Okay.
    Oct 9, 2008, 5:29 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #4

My only suggestion would be that if you plan on going out to a bar for this costume contest, be sure to take a spotter with you. All you need is some drunk a** messing with you and your stuff! Just something to think about!
    Oct 9, 2008, 6:01 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #5

Yeah thanks for that, I'll be with at least 3 or 4 other people all night. Need to have one covering my 6!
    Oct 10, 2008, 7:21 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #6

Only got a little bit done last night. Was hoping to get to the armor, but didn't have time.

First bit done on the ears

And the back of the helmet as it looks right now. Need to add the grey still. Also need to do some more grey and silver scratches on the back of the dome too, will do that tonight.

Here it is from the sides.

Still really nothing special yet. I'm unhappy with the way the back turned out. My masking fluid is giving me problems. Doesn't really peel where it needs to, then other parts where there IS NOT fluid, some how manages to peel off.

A little bit of progress, is better than no progress.
  7. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 10, 2008, 9:21 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #7

hey, that is great, bud!! much, much better than my first attempt!! i dont know why you are having issues with the masking fluid, though...what are you using to pull the mask off? looking really, really good...as i said before, alot of your detail is...well, kind of in large sections....ya with me? i mean, once you peel of the layer, go back and use a very small paint brush, 00 size, and really touch up those areas to define the damage more...coming along nicely, brother!!! wish i could go to that party with ya...that would be awesome!!
  8. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 10, 2008, 9:24 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #8

hey, just looked at the kill stripes, those are great!!
    Oct 10, 2008, 9:25 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #9

Haha, thanks, they actually look really bad up close!
    Oct 11, 2008, 1:37 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #10

Not much to share, just working on the ears a little bit, as well as adding more silver and gray scratches to the dome.

Will post pics of the back of the helmet once I take off the masking. Right now its covered in tape and newspaper.
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Oct 11, 2008, 2:13 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #11

Lookin' good Peter

I really hope you win the grand prize. Wouldn't that be great!!

I will be rooting for you in the TDH sidelines!
    Oct 12, 2008, 1:48 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #12

Thanks Debbi, I appreciate it!

I trimmed some of the armor plates today, need to do a little bit more, so that they will all fit on my vest. I hate being a short Fett! Slight problem, this gets rid of the lip around the edge on the sides that i trim. Thus, reducing that raised look, and no depth. Don't know what I'm gonna do to solve that.

Finished painting the left ear. Not perfect, but I'm satisfied with it.
    Oct 13, 2008, 9:17 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #13

I've got the ears stuck on with JBweld, sitting in clamps right now til I get home from work.

Also working on putting hinges on the gauntlets. I've got them trimmed to where they should fit my spaghetti arms perfect with some foam padding on the inside of the shell. Once the hinges are stuck on, I will reinforce the insides of the gauntlets with fiberglass to strengthen them up. Thanks to FettDad for the tips on how to do so.

Also, once I've got the ears taken care of, I will attach the rangefinder with a bolt, and put the ear cover on with some rare earth magnets.

I should have my Fettronics light display by weeks end, so hopefully before then I will have the armor dented, then I can trim the slots to appropriate measurements, then start painting.

I'm still not making as good of progress as I'd like to; that deadline is beginning to become more and more daunting everytime I think about it.
    Oct 13, 2008, 9:37 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #14

To quote Rob Schneider:

"You can doo eeet!"

Good luck!
    Chris
    Oct 13, 2008, 9:41 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #15

"All night loooong!"

Thanks, Chris. I'm gonna need it!
    Oct 13, 2008, 9:44 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #16

Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post

I'm still not making as good of progress as I'd like to; that deadline is beginning to become more and more daunting everytime I think about it.

Keep pluging away...

Here is a pic of my ESB suit 2 weeks prior to the Manitoba Comic Con here in my city, and Jeremy was going to there, so I had to still paint my friends helmet add padding(my FPH is on hold till Chris and Pam gets better),
    Paint my Jet Pack add hooks and lighting, make the vest, Sidearm, scratch build the RF top,paint the knees, make shin tools, scratch build the right ear cap, add snaps, details/greebs and weather. all this WITHOUT a test fitting before the Con.

and finished product (just to get you inspired!!)
    and I still have to add the small markings in the RF caps and rocket pack...doh!

If I can do all that and have a full time job, survive the wrath of my wife..lol.
    YOU CAN DO IT.
    just breath and relax once in a while! its all good.
    keep up the great job.
    Last edited by Sixxgunn13; Oct 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM.
    Oct 13, 2008, 9:51 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #17

Wow, talk about beast-moding it! Yours turned out great! You must work well under pressure.
    I'm doing a semi-rush job, but still trying not to cut corners and have it come out shoddy looking. I'm working as fast and as hard as I can, so I hope mine turns out at least HALF as good as yours.
    The way it's looking right now, I might not have a test fitting until the day of, or right before the competition.
    Thanks, Sixxgunn, you're an inspiration.
  18. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Oct 13, 2008, 10:05 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #18

good job Petey!! keep it up man!! that prize money will awesome to put back into the costume!! very excited to the finished product!!
    Oct 13, 2008, 10:06 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #19

Lol...thx,
    Do what you can BUT don't stress your self over small details... My wife taught me that cause you can always finish those after the event.

99% of the time ppl dont know what is right or wrong on the suit, so get all the main parts done.. and as a whole ppl will be in awe, just to quote some dude who stood in the middle of the con and blurted out... "Coolness of the Fett."
    Oct 13, 2008, 10:14 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #20

Haha, thanks guys.
    I'm gonna worry about making the helmet more accurate later, much later.
    I won't worry about making the gauntlets perfect either, just so long as they are functional, and look decent.
    I'm gonna take my time on the painting of the armor and gauntlets, but won't worry about making it 100% accurate. I highly doubt anybody there will have a trained eye like we do, so nobody will be able to tell a difference.

Getting the point across, thats my main goal.

And I'm really betting on the RF lights, and chest display to make me stand out, and give me an extra edge over the competition.

I just hope seeing out of the green visor won't be too hard in a club. It'll be like wearing sunglasses at night.
    Oct 13, 2008, 10:30 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #21

Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    I just hope seeing out of the green visor won't be too hard in a club. It'll be like wearing sunglasses at night.
    Depends on the visor, but generally the green visor is very good to see through, so donīt worry.

Ever tried to look through the black Vader-Eyes when standing inside of a smoke-fogged pub?

Thatīs worse. haha

the green visors are good to see through ... even when itīs a bit darker.

Good work on your costume! Great.

cheers,
    Manuel
    Oct 13, 2008, 10:50 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #22

Thanks, Manuel! I appreciate it.

The main thing that I should worry about, not seeing out of the visor, but instead, some drunk moron messing with me while I'm at the club/bar. Need to make sure my gf is watching my back. I've never worn the helmet out in public yet, so I think hearing and speaking might be an issue too. Don't have a voice amp yet.

And now that I think about it more, I may even leave off the hoses and greeblies off the gauntlets for now too.
    Oct 14, 2008, 7:28 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #23

So I figured out the attachment method on the gauntlets, and I reinforced them with fiberglass. The stuff was messy and smelt bad but it was pretty fun to work with.
    Again, the lighting is bad, pics taken with my phone. Ignore the hinges and bolts for now, going to work on making that less visible later.

Tonight I plan to attach the RF stalk to the helmet, and some of the greeblies on the gauntlets, and go shopping at Lowes for some hoses.

Maybe if there is enough time I can start to dent the armor... Also need to trim the back plate some. It's so big on me, makes me look like a Ninja Turtle!
    Last edited by LostSonOfSparda; Oct 14, 2008 at 8:19 AM.
    Oct 14, 2008, 11:56 PM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #24

A little bit more for today.

I was not happy with the progress i was making with the gauntlets (practically nothing today) and the RF. So I shifted my focus to the rest of the armor.

I attached the RF stalk, and had to carve a small hole out of the back of the RF ear, haven't stuck that on yet. Gonna still try to use earth magnets, but need a countersink bit first.

I trimmed the back armor a bunch so it isn't as big anymore. Didn't bother to take pics; it looks basically the same, just with a bit taken off the edges to make it fit me better.

I dented the armor using a lighter and a Sharpie. Then put a coat of primer on all the pieces except the left chest. Going to wait until I get my Fettronics light display and trim the slots.

Anyway, heres some pics, not much to really show tho. Forgot to take pictures of the helmet, but just imagine a shoddy looking ESB with no visor and an ugly bolt to hold the stalk on.

The bottom left of the chest piece isn't bent, thats just my shadow.

Can't really see the collar dent, but it's there.

Thinking the ab dent needs to be a little bigger, but with weathered and layered paint, it will look more pronounced. And the little dent by the tri-holes is not supposed to be there. Came like that; could use bondo or body filler to fix it, I guess, but I'm too rushed right now to really care. Did I miss a dent on the bottom edge of the ab? My memory may just be bad right now cuz I'm tired.

For tomorrow I want to get the vest attachment done on the armor and then maybe put a coat of paint on the armor, get some greeblies put on the gauntlets, like the left gaunt hose connector, then maybe go shopping for some elastic straps for the knees and the thong, as well as pick up some foam padding for the inside of the the gauntlets and helmet.
    Horrible run on sentence, ;alskdjf;laskdjf.

Comments are always welcome!
    Last edited by LostSonOfSparda; Oct 15, 2008 at 12:04 AM.
    Oct 15, 2008, 8:49 AM - Re: SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive) #25

nice job, man!! you are doing great. good luck in the contest.