Some assembly required...
Inspired by a question on the 501st NEG board about painting in the winter, and funded by a generous gift from my boss, I built myself a shiny new painting room in the basement.
This area used to be a coal room at one time (our house is 100 years old, back from the days of coal furnaces).
This section sticks off the side of the basement, and has a 6" raised concrete floor, making it an awkward corner in general. But there is a window right there, formerly used for coal deliveries.
Last winter I did a quick job over there to make it paint friendly. Replaced the window with plywood and put in an industrial strength fan, vented out through said plywood.
This year I finished the job
Here is the corner with the floor down. the floor was real simple.... 2x3s on the flat with 1/2 plywood (19/32 if you REALLY want to quibble) on top. It's on a concrete slab, so it's not like I really needed to build a load bearing floor.
Here is the old wall that used to be in that corner. In my rush to build, iI tore it out without first capturing it. When I ripped it out, I actually found coal from when that used to be the coal room, many many many years ago!
These are my walls to be. I used 2x3s rather than 2x4, since it is a small space and I wanted the extra couple of inches.
Framed with rough wiring in place. Nothing fancy power-wise. 3 outlets on the walls. 1 switch to control the overhead light and 2 fans. The fan is a plug in type, so it goes into a switched outlet on the ceiling.
This used to be the window. I removed the glass and replaced it with plywood. The 2 silver tubes go up to the fans in the ceiling. Liberal use of spray foam and caulking ensure a nice tight seal all around.
Oooh, so industrial!
Here is one of the fans. Note that I used duct tape on a DUCT! Crazy, huh? The strapping on the ceiling is there because the heat pipe is *just* beyond flush with the surface of the joists... like, 1/8" or so. I could have squished the pipe insulation a bit and made it work, but having that gap seemed better, and it's only losing 3/4" of height or so.
Next is insulation. I only insulated the exterior walls, since I didn't want to spend another $30 on more pink stuff for the interior.
And last, the paneling. chosen for it's quality, durability and aesthetic appeal (ok, so chosen for price), we have faux oak paneling, $9 a sheet, on the walls and ceiling. Also chosen for the same reason is the lovely plastic accordion door.
You can see the paint on the older fan... so they definitely work. The inside of the fan assembly was NASTY! I've got to remember to clean them out more often!
The outlets are at an odd height. My feed wire was only long enough to get down to there (it used to be in the ceiling). I didn't want to re-run the line back to the breaker, nor did I want a junction box. So I just put the outlets a bit high. I did the other 2 that way as well, so that it looked vaguely intentional.
The room is 7' x 8' x 5.5' and there are 2 180 cfm fans in there, so more than enough power to keep me happy. The only down side is that you have to paint sitting down, since the ceiling is low. But that's ok. I can live with that
The last piece is some cheap peel and stick tile on the floor, since plywood alone will get really gross really fast.