Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Recasting discussion

From
    San Antonio Texas

Re: Recasting discussion

Question!!....y question is similar but kinda different. I am construction my new functional ammo belt pouches. It will be more than likely nothing but wood and hardware but if I come up with a specific way of doing it, can someone copy it for resale purposes here and it be ok? Just wondering, I wouldn't care too much if they wanted to do it for themselves but I just wouldn't want to be blamed for a bad belt not done by me that has my new design. Which I also redid the pattern for the leather. Just askin.

From
    Pottsville PA

Boba Fett said: View Post
    Wow last night we set a new record for the most members online at the same time.
    The Dent reset the counter 2-3 days ago, there's a thread in updates about it.

99centTaco, as hard as it is for a lot of people to work with fabric, leather requires an even more specialized skill, I don't think there's a huge risk it will happen, but I would say it was inappropriate if it happens.

-x

eighteendelta said: View Post
    The Dent reset the counter 2-3 days ago, there's a thread in updates about it.

99centTaco, as hard as it is for a lot of people to work with fabric, leather requires an even more specialized skill, I don't think there's a huge risk it will happen, but I would say it was inappropriate if it happens.

-x
    Yeah I believe because the old count would have never happened.

From
    Bay Area

99centTaco said: View Post
    Question!!....y question is similar but kinda different. I am construction my new functional ammo belt pouches. It will be more than likely nothing but wood and hardware but if I come up with a specific way of doing it, can someone copy it for resale purposes here and it be ok? Just wondering, I wouldn't care too much if they wanted to do it for themselves but I just wouldn't want to be blamed for a bad belt not done by me that has my new design. Which I also redid the pattern for the leather. Just askin.
    Well, if you decide it's not okay, then it's not okay. The TDH members would side with you if it was a clear copy of your work, regardless of the quality of the knockoff.

Personally, If I was the one making and selling a belt, I'd be inclined to also post the pattern. People have different budgets and tools and skill sets and materials. The product quality of whatever people show/sell here will be judged based on craftsmanship and accuracy. If some kid makes one based on your pattern, but it's made out of spray-painted cardboard, it may be perfect for his own costume. But, nobody would confuse it with your work, and nobody would pay the same price for it.

That way, you still get to provide the premium product, but you also get to enable other folks to build on your contribution. Maybe someone will figure out a better fastening system, that you can add to your product later.

/all about the open source