Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For real??

From
    San Antonio Texas

For real??

OK I just got back from checking out a new apartment place. I really like it alot but after doing the app I was denied. The reason why.... I'm self employed. Everything is fine its just that...

I explained that I make more money now than I ever have working at a full time job. I make leather items for the Alamo and San Antonio Missions and some other contract jobs. Along with what I do online. And I can show proof.

I asked, "ok, so what do I need to do so that I can qualify?

She said, in a very calm way " Uh..first you need to get a real job. Then hold it for at least two years and then come back."..

????????????????????

I just sat there with with a puzzled look on my face....
    I than asked what if I gave 6 months of rent up front?
    She looked at me weird and said "Get a job first."

???????

I guess money doesn't talk anymore???

From
    I dont even know!

Re: For real??

That is crazy. Many people (including myself) are self employed. Even more so now with the state of the economy. If you have proof of steady income, and a large enough income to pay the rent, then there should be no reason for them to deny you.

Account Deactivated

wow...i guess the whole idea of a "pay stub" has alot of bearing...have you tried maybe buying your own home? 6 months of rent would make a great down payment...

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

I would contact the local Housing Authority immediatley. That's a form of discrimination. On the most extreme level, she could have asked for 2 years tax returns to verify income.

From
    San Antonio Texas

Exactly! I didn't want to jump the gun but I thought I might have been discriminated. I think the only other thing that might have hurt was that I had closed my bank account with my old bank Washington Mutual last Nov, because they accidentally misplace alot of my money, I got it all worked out about a week later but didn't like the way they handled it. So I closed the account and just haven't had the time to get a new account at another bank. And with all the news going on about banks in trouble its kinda hard to make a decision on where to go next. But she didn't mention anything about it.

From
    Boston, Mass

Maybe its a blessing in disguise, If they act like that before you move in what do you think it would be like living there , my advice would be to say see you later sucka and find something else.

From
    Northfield, VT

"get a real job"?

Geez, has this woman no idea that approximately 28% or more of the US population are (gainfully) self employed?

So, self employment is not a "real job", given the millions of US citizens that do the same?

IMHO, she better check herself at the door, or else she may wind up looking at being "self employed" herself in short order...

Yooks, you don't know Bernie Madoff do you?

"You know Bernie Madoff?"
    "Yeah, he got my cash and Made Off with it..."

From
    Australia

I know how you feel mate.

I'm self employed and got the same treatment. I offered to pay 6 - 8 mths in advance but they still wanted to look at my bank statements!8)

I told them that is an invasion of privacy and discrimination and I would be contacting our ombudsman. They didn't like that and asked what I did for a crust and I calmly looked at them and said "I watch and record people committing offenses for a living" PI. ha ha ha it was priceless. The next day we received a call from them ......... the house was ours!

Yeah, that's a clear form of discrimination against you, Taco, and I'm pretty sure you can fight that and have a good shot at winning. Whistle8mp had a great comment though-you have to consider a future of dealing with that kind of person if you did get that apartment.

From
    Sunshine State, USA!

My brother had a 750+ credit score and 20+ grand in his bank account. He was still denied a loan for a home because he was self employed. Three banks later, he finally got approved! Fettdad is right. You may have personal reasons for going into an apartment, but a home may be the way to go at this time. Good luck, man!

Why should it matter what kind of job you have? A job is a job and if he can clearly afford the apartment what would be the big deal? Why are so many against self employed workers?

I hope it works out for you Taco

El1te

Of course there's nothing wrong with being self-employed. But like it or not, for realtors and prospective employers, there is a negative connotation to the term "self-employed". People tend to equate 'self-employment' with unemployment. It's also a term they hear used often by people who are unemployed.

It's better to say something like "I run my own business, here's the name, I provide this service, I manage all the finances, etc; I'm the proprietor/general manager" I bet if you can add to the conversation by mentioning how you handle the taxes associated with running your own business, or how you do most of your business over the internet so you don't need a store front, etc., you may be better received by potential property management places or landlords.

Good luck!

From
    San Antonio Texas

I really don't get it either. I never thought about just getting a house. I figured, if I can't get an apartment, how in the heck am I gonna get a house. A house would be much better though. I could turn the garage into a shop.

From
    Boston, Mass

99centTaco said: View Post
    I really don't get it either. I never thought about just getting a house. I figured, if I can't get an apartment, how in the heck am I gonna get a house. A house would be much better though. I could turn the garage into a shop.

Do you have a business acount with your bank such as a DBA or self proprietor and if not then you should do it as well as getting some kind of commercial umbrella insurance policy for your business. Just my 0.2

From
    San Antonio Texas

Yeah I might have to... Looks like I gotta do some upgrades to my business

Oh and I forgot who pmed me but what I do for the Alamo here in SA is alittle bit of restoring some of the original items there. Kinda like restoring them alittle so they last longer.

That is re god **** diculous

you should probably think about forming an s corp for your business. It's technically not much different than self-employment, but looks totally different on paper to creditors, and prospective landlords (a woman such as you described would be blown away in a dizzy stupor of awe). Ask your accountant about it. I also second the recommendation to report your experience to the Housing Authority. Your experience is outrageous.

From
    Glendale, Arizona

go for the house!!!

formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    From
    Hoth wisconsin

yeah ,and now is the time to buy , because everybody else is broke ,and hey taco .can i borrow some money ?

From
    Mandalore,NC

wow,thats....yeah im sure we're all thinking the same words. what a crazy freaking place the world has become,get a real job? does landlord even count as a real job? i agree with,uh everyone report her and your experiance.the customer is always right!!!

on a side note,karma. what goes around comes around...... hope she knows that.

From
    The Cold Widwest

One thing, when you say "I've got 6 months worth of rent right now", what she's thinking is "Where will the next 6 months worth of rent be?"

In all honesty, knowing quite a bit about renting,etc. Its just how it works. There's no one way that someone "must rent to you",etc. Of corse, I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went, but I don't see any descrimination at all. She didn't say "Your this color, I hate you.",etc. She proboly just feels that without having a job that pays you "regularly", your not the best canidate for the apartment. I totaly understand her logic. If she dosen't feel that your the best person to rent to, then that is her choice.

Calling it descimination,etc. Isn't going to make her think any better of you either. If anything, I'd think it'd proboly make the matter worse. Alot of people feel this way though. When someone dosn't accept their application, its a crime. But the final decision is the owner's, like it or not. I don't doubt that you can afford the place, and would take good care of it. But when you don't have a secure job (wait...a what?) it dosen't show good on applications. I hafe to take the homeowner/landlord's side on most cases, renters usualy just don't understand how tiresome it is.

EDIT -

I don't head anything by any meens, and of corse I'm no expert, but just hafing to listen to people whine, and make excuses, and make things hard is sssssoooooo tiresome. Alot of the people are so disrespectfull and crazy it makes me wish I didn't hafe to listen to any of it. Alot of people think they have the system beat, and can get in, stay, leave the place a mess, and then leave all the bills. The home/land owner MUST take care of these bills and repairs.

So by seeing that you don't have a "secure job", its very risky renting to you. If you leave bills, she'll hafe to pay them. If damages outway your deposit, that money must come out of pocket. People who choose to have rental don't do it out the goodness of their hearts. They do it to keep afloat. No one understands this. When the renters pay their bills, it pays the payment of the owner, and hopefully, they'll get to keep a little. But of one person *insert rude word here* the owner, then all profits might go to repairing that one place, one time. People think that landowners and landlords,etc. are the "bad guys" of renting, but IMHO, most renters don't just don't get it. They don't do it because they're bored, or because they want people to have a place to live.

So when I see people saying " contact the local housing authority immediatley!", I immediatly think of how most people just don't get it.

EDIT the 2nd :

Another thing, because today I'm mad and I just need a place to rant....People always think the rent is a "back burner" kind of thing. They pay their TV bills, they buy new cars, they buy brand new clothes, and grills, and a bunch of stuff. Then when the payment day comes around, suddenly they don't have it. Why? Oh because little Jimmy had a birthday, and I wanted him to have a *new* HD TV. Well guess what, little Jimmy's birthday is evry year, same time, EVRY YEAR. So save a little each month, or skip little Jimmy's new HT TV, and give him something he realy needs, a house to live it.
    Last edited by jodo; Jan 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM.

From
    San Antonio Texas

So what your saying is, in order for me to call my work a job, I need a paystub?

Ah..you edited to a "secure job". Gotcha..

From
    Arkansas

That's stupid. If you can keep up with you payments, then I don't see any reason to deny you. I guess I should remeber this when I move out. I would rather be self employed, being that I'm a I-take-orders-from-only-me kind of person.

From
    The Cold Widwest

99centTaco said: View Post
    So what your saying is, in order for me to call my work a job, I need a paystub?

Ah..you edited to a "secure job". Gotcha..
    Had to rant some OT stuff.

To be totaly honest (I'm turning into Simon Cowel here...), I don't think you'll be able to change this person's mind. The way she sees it, is that your a risk. And in this economy, evry risk you take may spell disaster, short and long term. Of corse, I think if you had a landlord who understood you don't need a "secure job" to rent, they'd understand more.

If anything, when you turn your application in, or send it,etc. You may include a letter explaining your work, send a buisness card, copies of receipts,etc. (Most people shred your info if they deny your application, but be sure they will, ask beforehand,etc.). I remember a while ago, someone put their job down, their income,etc. And then wrote they also made money on Ebay. Yet they had nothing to show for it. I'd call it "invisible income" or something, because thats what it is. He had absoutly nothing to confirm this. Thats sort of a red flag IMO, because he said he did, yet had nothing to show for it.

So if you haven't tried doing a few things like that, showing you are a real buisness, you make money doing so, etc. You may try that. But like I said before, you may never get through to this person. They may feel its risky to rent you, and if they feel that may, then thats all there is to it.

EDIT - Note to self...Deny Sarth Dorn's application. :

Edit 2 - For one thing, reciepts,etc. can be easily faked. Unfortunaly, you can get them at Wal-Mart,etc. So I don't know if receipts would be the thing to do. You could contact your places you sell to and ask if you could use them as refrences. Just include their number, person you deal with,etc. on your letter. Owners will prefor background and ref. checks, so the more refrences you can provide that aren't in your family, and are "heads" of places you sell to the better.

I see now above it says you can prove it, so you proboly already sent contact info,etc. For that matter, you may have even failed the application in some other way, and mabey she wanted to be as least confrontational as possible with you.
    Last edited by jodo; Jan 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

From
    San Antonio Texas

Well I guess its just something I'm gonna have to deal with...

Edited per TDH rules.
    Last edited by 99centTaco; Jan 27, 2009 at 11:34 PM.