Subscribe
    Mar 28, 2012, 7:18 PM - Quitting smoking! #1

Hi all,
    Just a shameless plea for some support as I begin my journey toward being a non-smoker.

I have smoked for about 27 1/2 years. On March 19th I quit cold turkey. I was doing pretty
    well for 9 days. . . until this evening. Pretty stressed out, and I picked up a pack of
    cigarettes a couple of hours ago.

Grrrrrrrrr! Very disappointed in myself. At least I only bought one pack instead of a carton.

Physically I was doing really well. Didn't have any major symptoms of withdrawal and I was
    using mints and gum whenever I would normally have had a smoke. I know how I am, and I'll
    wind up smoking this whole pack over the next day or so. But after that. . . no more!
    9 days is an amazing feat (for me) and I don't intend to backslide into my pack-a-day routine.

Any ex-smokers among the members here? How did you stop? What helped you kick the habit?
    I don't want to use any weird drugs or patches or "nicotine replacements."
    Mar 28, 2012, 9:08 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #2

Good job on wanting to quit and the first 9 days without them. I know that may sound trite, but the desire to quit really is the first step. I have never smoked, so I don't know what it is like. Good luck with your goal. I know you can do it. Try not to smoke this pack, and I think you will feel better about having slipped a little.
    Mar 28, 2012, 9:57 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #3

Good luck bro I want to. The biggest addiction I've ever had. 28 years for me. I've quit harder addictions cold turkey and never looked back. I've been thinking of getting a electric cig. Still bad but atleast no smoke.
    Mar 28, 2012, 10:37 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #4

Ive never smoked so I don't know.exactly what you're feeling... but think of the $ you'll save by quitting. $ that you could use to buy more props! Good luck!
    Mar 29, 2012, 8:50 AM - Re: Quitting smoking! #5

My wife smoked for years. Then one day she watched some program on the T.V. about smoking and it showed the lungs etc. Ever since then she has stopped (Going on 11 years). The biggest tip I can provide is doing what you are doing, with the gum etc. I have a feeling that most people just do it out of routine. For a while I smoked at work only. About every hour or two I would go downstairs grab my buddy and we would go outside and smoke and talk. I have stopped for a while now. Miss the talking with him and stepping away but better. I think if you can find something to help you when you are in that "oh, its time for another one" find something else to do.

Probably not much help but Good Job. You can do it. You will feel better about yourself when you do.
    Mar 29, 2012, 10:42 AM - Re: Quitting smoking! #6

My co-worker smoked for about 30 years and quit cold - she picked up running and has done many marathons since then even a 50K run! Switched one addiction for a healthier one. Best to you my friend, I hope you have the power to do it because it sticks it to the 'man'.

Isn't it ironic that smoking was once considereed an act of rebellion but now it is subservance to corporations and their media campaigns?
    Mar 29, 2012, 12:34 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #7

I am an ex smoker who also quit cold turkey. Going on almost two years now and I can tell you a few things.

First stop kicking yourself for buying a pack, it happens. I still to this day want to buy a pack every time I get stressed. Continue to look forward and not dwell on the slips. Also as long as you want to quit you will do it, just take it one day at a time.
    Mar 29, 2012, 3:00 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #8

Thanks for all the comments! I appreciate the words of encouragement and advice.
    That "backslide" pack is gone and I'm resetting my clock as of about an hour ago. Got me a
    nice pack of Ice Breakers "cool mint" flavored mints and I'll be enjoying my minty fresh breath.
    Mar 29, 2012, 3:25 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #9

You can do it! Or..... Be link Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and eat doggie treats!!!!
    Apr 5, 2012, 4:23 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #10

Well. . . dang. Bought a pack a little while ago. Today is day 17 of my saga.
    Once again, got a little stressed out about school. I'm taking 2 classes and between them I have 4 assignments
    due by Sunday at midnight.
    For one class I have: one test (worth about 20% of my grade), one 1-page paper, and one 2-page paper.
    For the other class I have: one 2-page paper, and one test (worth about 15% of my overall grade).

Grrrrrr. . .

I don't drink or anything else, so I guess 2 packs in 17 days isn't the end of the world. Just disappointed.
    Apr 5, 2012, 4:39 PM - Quitting smoking! #11

Get your A•• bk on the wagon buddy!!! Yes, i wk in sports medicine..that being said, in my undergrad a&p course i had to blow up (using a hose preassure system) a set of healthy cadaver lungs vs smokers lungs...after that lab i was on the phone w everyone i knew who partook in the habit preaching both to and at them lol...best of luck!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
  12. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Apr 5, 2012, 6:55 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #12

Maybe you need a new better for you vice like working out or a punching bag? Gum? Something that isnt going to kill you.
    Apr 5, 2012, 7:20 PM - Quitting smoking! #13

Hey mate im right there with you i quit for 7 years then the city that i live in had a massive earthquake last year i was in a massive state of shock and 1st thing i did was reach for the smokes again. So i been smoking for a year now like a train and i just quit too. Its the hardest thing i've done for ages! I have read a book thats really helped me out its called easyway stop smoking by allen carr google it mate its really helpful. Good luck my friend if like other people have said here dont beat yourself up for caving in. You have the will and the want to stop so you will find your way eventually!!!
    Apr 5, 2012, 7:22 PM - Quitting smoking! #14

Ps i also just get a paint on work on your fett when you get a craving! My buckets my new addiction and any money i save on smokes now goes straight into my build so big wins all round!!
    Apr 5, 2012, 8:34 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #15

hardest thing ever, not there yet. the thought is but cant quite do it. quit drinking, coffee, etc.. those were easy. hope you can..
    Apr 10, 2012, 10:56 PM - Re: Quitting smoking! #16

Hey Superjedi,
    I smoked for about 16 years and quit about 7 1/2 years ago and am proud to say i have never touched one since. I had the nicotine patches as i had tried to quit many times (cold turkey) before and failed. even with the patches i struggled but i did eventually quit. I guess they take a bit of the edge off.
    My motivation was to quit before my son was born, he is nearly 7 and has never seen his dad holding a cigarette. I have 2 boys now and am very glad i quit when i did. Sometimes i miss it (when i have a drink), but nothing that cant be controlled. I always said i would do it when the time is right, I believe that is true for all of us......... you can do it, I thought I would never be able to do it, but i was so sick of doing it and I knew i had the motivation to do it then.
    I never finished the last pack of cigarettes, i left them on the table so i would remember why i was feeling so ******, and having one would prolong the agony. When i beat it i I chucked em!
    The great short term gains is, getting 2 senses back your smell and taste! not to mention all the other health benefits that im sure know full well of. I really am glad i beat it and i am proud of myself for doing it. You will be to, and you should be proud of your efforts so far. I never went more than 5 days cold turkey!
    Stay strong buddy i hope you can keep going and beat that horrible addiction, if you can get to a month to six weeks you'll have nearly beaten it, it will be heaps easier anyway!