Photoshop, which version?

From
    Helhoughton, UK...real place!!

Photoshop, which version?

Hi, Im trying to get into drawing ect using my computer. I have got Paint Shop Pro, but that is really only good for colouring something you already have drawn and scanned in. I have just baught a little graphics tablet, but was advised to get photoshop but have no idea which version to get. Does anyone have any Idea?

Re: Photoshop, which version?

Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite 2 (CS 2) is what we use here at work. CS 3 is the latest version/release of Photoshop. However, since it is the latest, all of the bugs may not be out of it yet.

Older Photoshop versions like CS and Photoshop 7 may be more than adequate for a beginner. You can probably find them cheaper than CS 2 or CS 3. PM sent.

Really, it all depends on what you want to do, but I would recommend getting CS2 or higher, if you are wanting full blown Photoshop. CS2 has a lot of really great features that they don't have in CS or lower, such as multi select layers, vanishing point, etc.

Elements is a really good program as well, and you can't argue with the price at all.

From
    Roanoke, TX

If you can get CS2 cheaper then get that but CS3 has some great new features, cant go wrong with either.

Photoshop Elements is very good, you can download a 30 day free trial from the Adobe web page.

I'm running CS3. Keep in mind that if you're buying this stuff, you're looking at big $$$. If you can get an educational discount somehow that will save you a lot.

From
    The Cold Widwest

Not to highjack your thread, but what would you guys recommend for mabey making Forum graphics? I'm trying to get into it, but I only have paint.

From
    Silver Spring, MD

CS2 and CS3 extended are pretty awesome. Illustrator is also good. And if you are a student or teacher or know a student or teacher there are academic software sites where you can purchase CS3 extended for only $280 as opposed to the retailed $999 or whatever it is these days.

for a free but powerful graphics tool, check out the gimp

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

From
    Helhoughton, UK...real place!!

Thanks guys, I will look into your suggestions! Not so sure about doing site graphics, I dot think my dragons or pheonix would be very suitable