Phoenix "Cactus Con"!! (Pic heavy)

From
    Newport News, VA

Phoenix "Cactus Con"!! (Pic heavy)

Hi everyone!
    Had an amazingly fun day yesterday! I went to the Phoenix Cactus Comic Con as a guest of the 501st Dune Sea Garrison. Thanks so much, DSG!! This was the first Con I've been able to go to in about 4 years, and it was a blast!
    Size wise, it didn't compare to something like SDCC or any of the "C's", but there was a great crowd, and a lot of stuff to see and do.
    The 501st had an area set up in one corner with a Death Star corridor style backdrop (which they made) and had people rotating all day to take lots of pictures with fans. Everyone who got a pic with the guys in costume had such huge smiles on their faces, especially the kids! They all looked like they were having a ball.
    Several of the 501st guys are also members here. Here's some shots from the show. These first 2 are just about all the DSG members in front of their Death Star backdrop just before the doors opened at 10:00. I couldn't even get everyone in one shot!

Here's some of the guys in the main lobby in front of the gigantic banners.
    That's Jimmy BufFETT in the Holiday Special suit!

Here are Jimmy BufFETT, me, and firstsonofsolo (Chris).

There was a space behind the Death Star backdrop where the troops could rest or grab some water, and we set up a little Mando helmet comparison. From left to right is my FPH, Chris's MSH-1, and FettBobaFett's reworked DP95. (I think it was a DP95. . . if not, I'm sorry! :o)

EDIT: Chris corrected me on this in post #14. From left to right it's: FPH, MLC 1, MLC 2 (Thanks, man!)

Chris's MSH Jango was pretty big! I tried it on at one point, and my eyeline was about where the forehead arrows are.

Did I mention there were a bunch of celebrity guests there also? Well, there were! Here's a Mando group shot with the OG Boba himself, Jeremy Bulloch! (He was in "civilian" clothes, so I didn't feel too bad about getting in the pic. )
    From left to right, it's me, Psydaz, Jimmy BufFETT, JB, Firstsonofsolo, and FettBobaFett. (Light-Tech was there too with his scratchbuilt ESB Fett, but I don't think he got there till after we took this pic. He had some good looking gear, though!)

The 501st had a couple of things going on all over the show. They had a group of troopers outside doing "Trooper Training" for the kids. They had an obstacle course, Nerf guns and some other stuff. It was Star Wars Boot Camp! The kids were having a lot of fun (and I'd say the troopers were, too!)

There were a lot of other people in costume as well. Here's Aayla Secura doing battle with Chris.

The Rebel Legion was there as well, and some of their Jedi Knights did some lightsaber training against some pretty tough opponents! Luckily I didn't see any severed limbs.

A 501st guy brought a little friend with him to the show, too.

From the moment he rolled into the show, R2 was mobbed by Paparazzi! He probably had more photos taken than any other character! People just love R2! The unit that this guy Ray built looked superb! It had an amazing electronics package. All the sequencing lights in the dome, spinning dome, radio control. . . the works! It was excellent.

There were lots of other celebrities there as well. A whole bunch of comic/graphic novel artists, including Tom Hodges, who's drawn some SW stuff. There were some Star Trek actors: Walter Koenig, Wil Wheaton, and Tim Russ. Their table had a big crowd all day, so I didn't even get to get one picture. . . Lou Ferrigno was there. What a huge guy!
    And here's a pic of Noel Niell, the original Lois Lane from the old B/W George Reeves Superman! She was very gracious and had quite a few people lined up to meet her and get an autograph.

Of course, the Star Wars celebs were there as well. Jeremy Bulloch, Peter Mayhew, and Felix Silla, who also played Twiki on Buck Rogers!
    I posted these already in my helmet thread, but I got Jeremy to sign my FPH helmet! That was just fantastic!

About 7:30 PM, the 501st hosted a dinner at a restaurant right next to the Convention Center, and the SW celebs were guests of honor. Jeremy, Peter, Tom, and Felix were made honorary members of the Dune Sea Garrison. Here they are receiving their presentos.

There are many more pics in my Photobucket album. Feel free to take a look.
    http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...%20Con%202008/

It was a terrific show, and I'd like to thank the DSG again for making me feel welcome!
    Eric
    Last edited by superjedi; Jan 28, 2008 at 9:40 AM.

Re: Phoenix "Cactus Con"!! (Pic heavy)

Good stuff..!!
    Glad Jeremy got to see the new FPH up close..
    looks like you guys had a great time..

From
    Hartselle,Alabama

What a fun event it must been
    In photo two,what is the name of character in the dark grey armor???

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Hey... I know those guys!

Looks like everyone had a great time out there. Love the pic with the kids in the trooper buckets! Wish I could've been there to see it myself. Thanks for sharing the pics superjedi! Glad you had a great time!

From
    Newport News, VA

It was great. I used to go to a lot of shows when I lived near Dallas. Good times.

Lopero, I think that's a Republic Commando. I'm not really "up" on all the Clone variants.

From
    San Diego. CA/ Hertfordshire, England

looked like a great show and thanks for sharing the photos Eric.

From
    Mesa AZ

Yeah it was a great time. It was my suits inaugural run so thanks for the kind words. It was great to meet some of you that day. Well here's the pic of me in front of the wall.

Hope no one got to wet today with all the rain.

-Chris

From
    Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19462

REALLY nice shots eric!!!

Indeed. It looks like it was a fun event.

Eric it was good to meet you. Good times man!

Kata

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

Man, Eric ... you got a lot of pictures! I'm so glad you were able to make it out to the convention and mixer! And as always, I was drooling over the painted FPH helmet.

Light_Tech said: View Post
    Hope no one got to wet today with all the rain.
    Well, this came in handy!

From
    Newport News, VA

Oh that's funny!
    I remember we were talking about all the electronics in your ESB Boba and how you would explode if you got caught in the rain.

Hope the Sunday showers didn't cause anyone too many problems.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Looked like fun! Sorry I couldn't attend, school and the "lack of cell phone," got in the way.

OK the helmet comparison shots Eric flubbed a little bit......

its from L-R

FPH, MLC 1, MLC 2

the only big one missing is the MSH2.

I had a great time hanging out with everyone.

Colleen it was a pleasure trooping with you, theres not too many lady fetts and yours was great!

Eric thanks for making it out with us for a troop!!!

Chris your fett is looking great remember the few tips I gave you and if you need some help PM me and I will do what I can.

Scott.................SIDE FAT!!!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

I wonder what bloopers you have been watching... i love it where is the video tho?

Jimmy BufFETT said: View Post
    Man, Eric ... you got a lot of pictures! I'm so glad you were able to make it out to the convention and mixer! And as always, I was drooling over the painted FPH helmet.

From
    Newport News, VA

firstsonofsolo said: View Post
    OK the helmet comparison shots Eric flubbed a little bit......

its from L-R

FPH, MLC 1, MLC 2

the only big one missing is the MSH2.
    Dang! :o Thanks, Chris. . . too many abbreviations floating around inside my brain. I'll go back and edit my post.
    Hope Sunday was great for you guys!

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Nice photos Eric, glad you got to go to a con.

Great suits everyone, and nice job 501st Dune Sea Garrison.

From
    Northern Illinois, about 90 miles NW of Chicago and 30 mins from the Wis-Ill line

Jimmy BufFETT said: View Post

Well, it's technically a canon accessorie.... colors might be off, but that's never 100% important.

I wonder if you can get is approved as a "Behind the scenes Jango"

Great pics overall. Always cool to see JB, PM, and Noel Niell.

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

This was a great event ... I had a great time trooping and meeting everybody. This was the first event I had busted out all 3 of my Fetts. I also met Jeremy Bulloch for the first time ever. He said my costume was "very impressive." And that was a compliment-and-a-half to get from him! Here are a couple more pics from the con:

The DSG recently got a pre-suit Vader. But whenever he troops, I like to catch him off guard as :

From
    Northern Illinois, about 90 miles NW of Chicago and 30 mins from the Wis-Ill line

Yeah, yeah.... always pcik on the new guy, eh?

C'mon, jedi (or sith) need to feel accepted, too

From
    Mesa AZ

Wow I had lots of fun there myself, but next time I need to just get out of work cause seeing all of your photos I missed out on a lot. Either way it was lots of fun and great meeting you guys.

-Chris

you know... we're really lucky in the boston area. jeremy has been at a bunch of events out here. i forget sometimes that there are so many fett that haven't had the pleasure of meeting him!

From
    Massachusetts

Great pics! Its awesome that you got so many Mandos there!