Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Aug 12, 2008, 12:22 PM - Not quite Boba Fett, but he's on the list #1

Whilst doing research into making my own set of semi-historical hoplite armour, I ran across this site and found a plethora of extremely helpful information.

Without clamoring on and on about what I want to do, I'll get right into it: Which plastic, ABS or Sintra would be good for the chest piece? I want to do a two-piece front so that I can bend over, if only slightly, that attaches to a two-piece back. The upper chest piece would be about the size of football pads sans shoulders. The lower would go from slightly above the upper, but underneath, all the way to below the navel. Being 6'1" and 250 lbs, we're talking about a healthy amount of Sintra/ABS.

The reason I ask is two-fold: First off, will 1/4 inch Sintra warp or lose shape by wearing it all day in 95ish degree weather and second, how easy is it to work with ABS by hand?

I'd like to get started here pretty soon because I want the suit to be done by Halloween/Renaissance. Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. After getting this done, I plan on doing a set of gear based on Canderous from Knights of the Old Republic.
    Aug 12, 2008, 1:32 PM - Re: Not quite Boba Fett, but he's on the list #2

Hello to TDH!

I think that 1/4inch is too thick - you will get into trouble to cut and form it.
    I use 1/8inch foe my armor and itīs easy to work with. Donīt worry about the temperatures. You can form Sintra or Polystyrene-so itīs called here in Germany- only above 70 degrees Celsius. I donīt know how much it is in Fahrenheit, but you donīt get this temperature even in Death Valley :-)))

Greetings from Germany,

Thomas