Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nominated for Legion Commanding Officer

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Nominated for Legion Commanding Officer

Dear TDHers,

Today I woke up and saw the amazement that I was nominated and seconded for Legion Commanding Officer of the 501st legion. At first, I thought it was quite entertaining to see that someone thought of me as being fit for the job, and was wondering who was messing around with me.

However, I did not decline the nomination, I figured that I would sit on it and ask around the general membership over the next 6 days to make my decision. I've been sitting around for the past 3 years with an LCO that I honestly don't have any faith in, and for the past 3 years I have been wondering if there were any way I could do, and today might have presented me the answer. I honestly don't expect I have any chances of winning if I do choose to run, since Albin Johnson, the founder of the 501st Legion is running.

If I do accept the nomination, I will keep Albin as the Legion Executive Officer. I fully support Albin, he's an outstanding guy, and I think that he deserves to hold a Legion Officer job, even though this little monster he has created might have outgrown him. As for Legion Membership Officer, I would once again put Thomas Spanos in, in my opinion, he is the best man for the job that the Legion has to offer. As for the other three appointed positions, Legion Web Master, Legion Public Relations Officer, and Captain of the Guard, I will have to think about who to appoint these positions to; they may even have the same people as this year if I believe they are best fit for the job.

What have I contributed to the Legion in order to be suited for Legion Commanding Officer? Well that I believe is up to the eyes of the beholder. I have been the Garrison Membership Officer for the past two years, and as I believe, I have done an extremely good job as GML. I have tried to be fair to everyone, and have always refered to the 501st Legion Charter if I have ever had a question. I also would like to stress that if I do accept the nomination, I wouldn't be doing it for any selfish act, it would be for the membership. Over the past few years, the LCO has turned into someone who is receiving almighty power in the Legion, and I have been openly vocal about stripping said powers away from the LCO. As LCO, I would make sure garrisons didn't have to worry about having events stolen from them, and would look out for everyone else, not my own agenda.

I know I am only 21 years old, but everyone I have talked to about this has given me some kind of support in one way or another. I want everyone to tell me what they think I should do, based on your experience of me being on The Dented Helmet for just over 3 years now. I'm sure most of you have been able to figure out a pretty good opinion of me, and I'd like to hear it. What ever is on your mind, let me know

Andy
    TK-1287

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Re: Nominated for Legion Commanding Officer

Rock on!!! Judging by the way you handle yourself around here, I would say that you would make an excellent CO!!!! If I was in your garrison, I'd vote for you!!
    D

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Not for the Garrison, the LEGION

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Man thats awesome and what an honor. Speaks highly of you man! Good luck.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Not for the Garrison, the LEGION

OHHH!!!!!!!!! OK then!!! I can vote for you!!!!
    Good luck man!!!!!
    D

From
    Mandalore,NC

WOW!! congrats ner vode. i say go for it,as im not a member of the 501st i cannot vote but i do support you,ive read and seen your post here on TDH and you seem to be a fair and just guy,and seeing as that i support ya! my only comment is to beware of politics for the darkside lingers there. lol sounds funny but its true,you can do it vod!!!

By the time he was 21, Alexander the Great had become King of Macedonia and was just beginning his campaign that would lead to conquering the known world.

Just a thought.

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Dear TDHers,

I know I am only 21 years old, but

Andy
    TK-1287

Wow! That's amazing Andy, congrats...I say go for it!!!

G-Fett

From
    Anchorage, AK

Good luck. The legion needs fixing, I hope you can change it. I would vote for you but I have parted ways with the legion.

From
    Phoenix Arizona

You've got my vote bro

From
    California, US

Ive only met ya once at c4 but from those few days you seemd very mature for your age. You should run either way even if you feel you wont get it, because people will remember your name and in the future, it might pop up again. Plus if you have ideas to make the 501st better then do it make your voice heard somehow!

Account Deactivated

I got nominated for Garrison CO myself.
    Obviously, someone is toying with me.
    The only position I'd even contemplate is GML.

From
    Fishers, IN

Congrats on the nomination!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps you might leave your campaigning to either your Garrison board or the 501st board. It just seems, IMHO, that this board should be left out of the whole equation, even though I know that plenty of 501st members are also members here.

I think that posting the fact that you have been nominated is fine, and again congrats, but perhaps it should just be left there.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Congrats... although I am not sure I can say I envy you...

Account Deactivated The Sniffer's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, Georgia

"Yours Truly" has blessed this post.

Sniff on my dear brother. And keep representing the most exclusive costuming club on the planet.

Personally, I would not vote for an LCO who had not already served on the Legion Council as a CO/XO for at least a couple of years.

Nothing against you, but I'd want someone more experienced in the role.

From
    Norwich UK

Way to go Andy well done

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    Personally, I would not vote for an LCO who had not already served on the Legion Council as a CO/XO for at least a couple of years.

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear

Account Deactivated

stormtrooperguy said: View Post

Andy, I like you dude, but listen to Brian on this one.
    Work your way up and get used to all the garbage.

From
    Germany

Congrats Andy!

Do you have a job? If not - its a job to be elected as a Legion Commanding Officer!

Much time you have to spend for it... no money earning...
    BUT FUN + very much accountability!

21 years old? Hm - sorry perhaps 10 years older and you will be a Legion Commanding Officer!

Think about it!

Eric

Wes said: View Post
    Andy, I like you dude, but listen to Brian on this one.
    Work your way up and get used to all the garbage.
    As a forum admin I have the "pleasure" of getting involved in some of the Council unpleasantries... setting up tribunal sections, things of that sort. I've occasionally been asked to chime in on a council thread when a tech thing came up (I have access to it, but just Don't Go There on the honor system).

The council is a full time job just to be a part of it... never mind chairing the council, which (IMO) is what the LCO does.

I know just enough about it to know that I don't want to know anymore about it

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    Ditto.

Andy, I do have to say that in the last 2.5 years you have really grown up quite a bit from the person I got to know originally. You wear your kit with pride, I saw that at SDCC and I am confident that you are genuine in your desire to maintain and help others have the best kit they can get.

While I have no doubt that you would make an excellent leader, I will say that the longer you can stay out of the inner-circle and just troop...the better off your going to be. When it becomes a job it slowly begins to lose it's fun. There are many days when I really do look forward to one day being just another guy in mando armor. Because of that I will give you these words: If you really want to make a difference in your organization, then the best place to start is at your local chapter. Being an organizer and inspiration with your local area garrison is what makes you the biggest asset to the Legion as well as future members.

Thats all I got, and congrats that people are ready to put faith in you. Even if you aren't ready or don't win...the fact that people put faith in you means a lot about your character.

The Sniffer said: View Post
    "Yours Truly" has blessed this post.

Sniff on my dear brother. And keep representing the most exclusive costuming club on the planet.
    You will win now. You have recieved the Sniffers blessing.

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Thank you for all of your input guys I have gracefully declined the nomination.

From
    Annandale, VA

ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    I've been nominated this year for Legion CO as well, and I was nominated last year. I've also been nominated for MEPD DL and CloneTroopers.net DL.

I plan to run again for MEPD, because it's working out. But I declined the Legion and CT.net nominations.

Word of advice - The Legion CO position requires a lot of dedication, especially these days when the CRL is still not resolved and now even further complicated with all the new Clone variants. It will require an enormous amount of free time, remember you are in command of 4,000 + people, and you would have to delegate and make tough judgements that others can't or won't make. You'll need to spend countless hours reading Legion forum threads and deal with the beuracracy of the Council... a squabbling and ineffectual council. Ideally, this person would also be single, because the amount of time required for the LCO position will strain any existing relationship.

I've only been in the Legion five years, but I've served in command or leadership positions for the past three. I've seen the legion grow leaps and bounds and hope that any new LCO can commit the huge amount of time and serious decision making that's required. And as a few others have mentioned, you should ideally be much older and work in a professional environment where you have real-world leadership duties and maturity.