Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. The Sniffer is offline The Sniffer
    Dec 7, 2007, 4:38 PM - Re: Newer member names? #26

Who are we to judge my brothers and dear friends. A name is a name. For you see, there can only be one Sniffer!

LOL!
    Dec 7, 2007, 4:40 PM - Re: Newer member names? #27

Quote The Sniffer said: View Post
    Who are we to judge my brothers and dear friends. A name is a name. For you see, there can only be one Sniffer!

LOL!
    Man.. that is deep!

Dec 7, 2007, 5:10 PM - Re: Newer member names? #28

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    my guess is kar'buir = karen traviss , the author that wrote the mandalorian language.

i think this is sort of like that ever popular split between movie accuracy nuts and customs.

some of the folk here are recreating a specific thing from a movie (like, say boba or jango!), and don't care much about the books / backstory / EU that surrounds it all.

then others are really into the expressive stuff... customs with backstories and language and all that sort of thing.

i've read a couple of the EU books with heavy fett stories, but i don't really get into it much.

Right there with ya. I like the Fetts onscreen, and too have read a few of the Boba Fett stories in books, but have never once even tried to go looking for a "real Mandalorian language" to speak ( to whom? ). Boba's the original from the movies, I'll just stick with him, thanks.
    Dec 7, 2007, 6:04 PM - Re: Newer member names? #29

I dunno...it all seems very Trekkie to me. I thought they had the corner on the whole imaginary language thing with the Klingon stuff. C'mon people, in the whole Geek hierarchy, Star Wars has always been above Star Trek.
    Last edited by hansoloway; Dec 9, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Dec 7, 2007, 6:18 PM - Re: Newer member names? #30

Quote hansoloway said: View Post
    I dunno...it all seems very Trekkie to me. I thought they had the corner on the whole imaginary language thing with the Klingon stuff. C'mon people, in the whole Geek hierarchy, Star Wars has always been above Star Trek.
    -Arguably valid point.

Ripcode, that was too funny.
    Dec 7, 2007, 6:43 PM - Re: Newer member names? #31

Quote hansoloway said: View Post
    You said exactly what I was thinking...just you said it with tact...I would have gotten banned!
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Dec 8, 2007, 12:17 PM - Re: Newer member names? #32

Wow, I officially love this thread...
  8. formerly joNich
    Dec 9, 2007, 12:25 AM - Re: Newer member names? #33

Meh, you guys are just sad you didn't think of it first.
    Dec 9, 2007, 2:01 PM - Re: Newer member names? #34

Personally, I put Karen Traviss on the same level of writer as Tolkien. If you know anything about the guy, you know he created multiple languages and an entire history of Middle Earth, not just the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. The languages (Sindarin, Qenya, Khuzdul, Black Tongue) help the reader to develop a deeper understanding of the world he created. Same thing goes with Karen's writing. The addition of Mando'a and all the cultural elements she writes into the stories give them so much more realism than a lot of SW authors. Her characters actually feel like real people with families and jobs and relationship problems, rather than the flawless heroes that so many people in the SW universe are.
    Dec 9, 2007, 3:38 PM - Re: Newer member names? #35

Hehe there are three kinds of fans - movie fans, EU fans and the-whole-dish nerds such as meself :-)

But I agree, I always was into Star Wars having a language, and I'm glad it's Mandalorian. For me, Boba is a bounty hunter though... never got him in my mind as being a Mandalorian -- he just wears the uniform of a Mando Protector. That's one of the things I disagree with Traviss (Making Boba Mandalore), but I think she's a great writer and has contributed greatly to the SW saga. But each has different opinions, and there's respect hopefully between these groups.

Oh and one thing - even though your costume can't be "screen" accurate, there's no reason it can't be realistic and interesting. There are a couple of Customs that are great, and a couple that are terrible.

My name's Icelandic though.
    Dec 9, 2007, 6:48 PM - Re: Newer member names? #36

hi, the republic commando books have alot of mando language in them, triple zero has a reference in the back of the book to help translate, i think it adds depth to the mando culture.
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 7:44 PM - Re: Newer member names? #37

I th'ink Ka'ren T'rav'iss' he'ad h'as got'te'n a' lit'tle t'oo big'. S'he's be'ing wo'rship'ed an'd sh'e l'oves 'it.
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:00 PM - Re: Newer member names? #38

I think thats kinda childish of you to post that honestly. She's an author thats helping promote the idea that your costume comes from...Star Wars.

Before people start taking this thread somewhere it shouldn't go, we need to realize two things. 1. There are different types of fandom. 2. Someone who is helping drive the universe your costume comes from shouldn't be trashed for her hard work. Karen doesn't care for the fame honestly as she has said her job is to write books, perhaps you should get to know her before making presumptuous statements Andy.

For anyone who has a problem with people using Mando'a names...I say get over it and learn to respect every facet of what Star Wars has to offer people. I would think this community wants to be friendly with all Star Wars fans, because working together and being tolerable is what helps Star Wars costuming grow as a whole.
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:11 PM - Re: Newer member names? #39

I have met Karen Traviss several times in the past, as well as being her personal bodyguard for an hour at C4 because she didn't want to be alone for fear of a fan attacking her due to the Mara Jade fiasco. I have met, worked with, hung out, and have personal contact information to scores of other celebrities, and what I have learned in the past is that most celebrities want to be treated like normal human beings.

Karen Traviss is an extremely nice woman, she's just getting a TON of attention for a little language that seems to be taken way too seriously. If her work disappointed her fans, she would feel bad, but she's constantly been succeeding and from what I've seen, she enjoys the attention way too much.
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:18 PM - Re: Newer member names? #40

Quote NovallTalon said: View Post
    I think thats kinda childish of you to post that honestly. She's an author thats helping promote the idea that your costume comes from...Star Wars.

Before people start taking this thread somewhere it shouldn't go, we need to realize two things. 1. There are different types of fandom. 2. Someone who is helping drive the universe your costume comes from shouldn't be trashed for her hard work. Karen doesn't care for the fame honestly as she has said her job is to write books, perhaps you should get to know her before making presumptuous statements Andy.

For anyone who has a problem with people using Mando'a names...I say get over it and learn to respect every facet of what Star Wars has to offer people. I would think this community wants to be friendly with all Star Wars fans, because working together and being tolerable is what helps Star Wars costuming grow as a whole.

Amen to that Brother.
  16. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:21 PM - Re: Newer member names? #41

Then if that's the case...why would you post what you did? I'm sure if she saw that she wouldn't appreciate it at all.

She actually uses mando'a quite a bit on her message group. She's very passionate about her characters, just like many Mandalorian costumers are passionate about their characters. Why people want to ridicule another for using a Star Wars language to describe their Star Wars costume, or even post on a Star Wars related forum is honestly beyond me.

These kinds of comments only alienate a part of the Star Wars costuming community that has as much right to do what they like as you do. If you don't like reading posts with mando'a in them, learn the language or browse over them. Otherwise it's going to fire up ALOT of people when they see posts such as these.
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:25 PM - Re: Newer member names? #42

I'm not trying to start a flame war, you took the defensive too quickly.

These kinds of comments only alienate a part of the Star Wars costuming community that has as much right to do what they like as you do. If you don't like reading posts with mando'a in them, learn the language or browse over them.
    Just because I don't pay much attention, or let alone study the EU doesn't make you any more of a costumer than I am. Costuming an reading books have nothing to do with one other.
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:30 PM - Re: Newer member names? #43

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I th'ink Ka'ren T'rav'iss' he'ad h'as got'te'n a' lit'tle t'oo big'. S'he's be'ing wo'rship'ed an'd sh'e l'oves 'it.
    From what i see this comment started it.
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:34 PM - Re: Newer member names? #44

I have met Karen Traviss several times in the past, as well as being her personal bodyguard for an hour at C4 because she didn't want to be alone for fear of a fan attacking her due to the Mara Jade fiasco. I have met, worked with, hung out, and have personal contact information to scores of other celebrities, and what I have learned in the past is that most celebrities want to be treated like normal human beings.

Karen Traviss is an extremely nice woman, she's just getting a TON of attention for a little language that seems to be taken way too seriously. If her work disappointed her fans, she would feel bad, but she's constantly been succeeding and from what I've seen, she enjoys the attention way too much.

Well I see we have the same things in common, ie. Bodyguards to the stars and having personal contact information to them.. But keep in mind there Fame is what WE thrust upon them. Also, Keep in mind George Lucas has given Karen the Rights to write these books.. No pressure there. And as for her enjoying it, How could you not when you have the greatest fans around coming up to you at conventions. And SW fans are the best. Just hang out with (I have) and ask Peter Mayhew, David Prowse or Duel with Ray Park for the fun of it (just to name a few). These people Love Us and show it. (Sorry Peter, David, Ray, to throw your name around.)
  20. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:34 PM - Re: Newer member names? #45

Just because I don't pay much attention, or let alone study the EU doesn't make you any more of a costumer than I am. Costuming an reading books have nothing to do with one other.

I beg to differ...

Kal Skirata
    Waylon Vau
    Vhonte Thervo
    Ram Zerimar

These are all Mandalorian costumes that come from books. Unless you read them (the books), you don't really have any idea how to make them. I'd say the books and the costumes have alot to do with the other.

You said the magic sentence, knowing the EU and not knowing it doesn't make anyone less of a costumer then the other. I'm glad you realize that, because thats the exact point I'm trying to make.

Now, the reason I take the defensive on threads and posts like this is because people here don't realize that they hurt other's feelings with these kinds of posts. Luckily, I'm here to make sure that people know it is hurtful to others, and I will continue to make it known until everyone wakes up and sees it for themselves.
    Dec 9, 2007, 8:58 PM - Re: Newer member names? #46

I beg to differ...

Kal Skirata
    Waylon Vau
    Vhonte Thervo
    Ram Zerimar

These are all Mandalorian costumes that come from books. Unless you read them (the books), you don't really have any idea how to make them. I'd say the books and the costumes have alot to do with the other.

You said the magic sentence, knowing the EU and not knowing it doesn't make anyone less of a costumer then the other. I'm glad you realize that, because thats the exact point I'm trying to make.

Now, the reason I take the defensive on threads and posts like this is because people here don't realize that they hurt other's feelings with these kinds of posts. Luckily, I'm here to make sure that people know it is hurtful to others, and I will continue to make it known until everyone wakes up and sees it for themselves.
    Nicely Said.
  22. I helped at SDCC '08 Silver Fett's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 10:46 PM - Re: Newer member names? #47

23. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2007, 11:53 PM - Re: Newer member names? #48

I am not even going to bother...
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Dec 10, 2007, 12:06 AM - Re: Newer member names? #49

Whoa, I didn't even know there was a whole Mando language that has been put together. That's pretty amazing. I thought there were just a word or two, I had no idea there was a whole vocabulary.
    Dec 10, 2007, 12:09 AM - Re: Newer member names? #50

Costuming an reading books have nothing to do with one other.

So it's acceptable to costume as a character from a movie, but not a book? A person can't use their own creative license to design and build a suit of armour based on written description? Must they stick to accurately replicating a costume that was made for a movie rather than using their own imagination? Andy, I'm trying to see where you're coming from, but I really can't see things from your point of view. Don't get me wrong, I love to see a well-done Boba as much as the next guy, but characters from literature have their place too.