Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    May 10, 2007, 1:39 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #51

I think we should "clean up" this thread and keep it as informational as possible and trim it down some..........MODS??
    Jun 3, 2007, 11:24 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #52

Quote Predatormv said: View Post
    So here we go. Head to toe. These are for Boba...

I sat down (wait, I'm already sitting - nevermind) and costed-out my *current* costume, and this is the figure I came up with:

Total: $3366.00 (I can post the breakdown upon request)

And keep in mind that it has taken me 5 years to get to this point. Many items have been bought and replaced 2-4 times over the past 5 years as they break or as I find better quality/more accurate items to replace them with.

I made a lot of my parts myself to save money. Imagine how much my total would be if I had've bought every one of them!

I guess since the summer of 2002 I've probably spent somewhere in the range of $4500 - $5000 on my suit, in all of its "incarnations". Of course that was buying a little here and a little there. There's NO WAY I could've dropped that kind of money at one time on a costume. It was done bit by bit, over time.

I have one word of advice for you "new" guys and gals: PERSISTENCE You'll get there. Just stick with it. Do the best you can and get it "wearable", then replace/mod pieces as your budget allows. I've seen over the years that if someone doesn't get their suit wearable quickly, they often lose interest in the process, and they never complete the suit (which turns out to be just a big waste of money then). They're too focused on getting "this part" or "that part", which may be the best parts on the market, instead of just focusing on getting something that they can wear until they can mod/improve the suit later.

I went from nothing to wearable suit to accepted into the 501st Legion in 5 months. Was it the most perfect ROTJ suit ever? Hardly. BUT, it was passable, and because I could wear my suit, I caught "the fever" (we all know what THAT is!!!) and HAD to finish my suit so that I could wear it to more often to events. That was 5 years and 100 events ago.

And to think that I started out wanting to build a costume for a mannequin!
    Last edited by Fetthunter; Jun 6, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
  3. Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Jun 4, 2007, 11:08 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #53

Thanks for the information
    Martin
    Jun 5, 2007, 5:49 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #54

I'm new to this . This is a great post. But with anything Star Wars or any character. And if you want to do it right it is going to cost money. It is also a hobby. I have been collecting Star Wars seriously since 1989. And going into this (me wanting to start a boba fett costume) I'm looking at this as a hobby.
  5. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Jun 17, 2007, 2:09 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #55

Here's mine
    $80 Neck seal, vest, pouches, and spats (plus reworking my jumpsuit) "crazy4bobafett"
    $530 Armor (chest,ab,knees,shoulders,collar,backplate,cod) unpainted "Bobamaker"
    $125 Jumpsuit "Starfortress reworked By crazy4bobafett"
    $15 Girthbelt "Stateline Tack"
    $350 Jet Pack unpainted "MLC2"
    $27 Shin tools "real paterson parts"
    $80 Gloves "REAL Gloves"
    $11 Cape "Army Shelterhalf"
    $15 Aluminum Studs "Russrep"
    $100 Gauntlets "Fettpride recasts"
    $50 Toe Spikes ""Russrep"
    $3 Wookie Braids "99cents Only store"
    $1 T-visor " bought a pack of 12 on ebay for 10 bucks"

The following items were given to me by some dear friends at no charge ;
    Aluminum RF stalk "unknown"
    Aluminum knee darts "Russrep" ?
    Aluminum gauntlet darts 'Russrep" ?
    Aluminum beacon & stabilizer "unknown"
    Boots "Caboots"
    Helmet, "MS2"
    The Following items are also at no cost;
    Blaster, "Hyper-Firm ROTJ made by me"
    Ammo belt, Traded for a Hyper-firm Scout Pistol I made "Pavespawn"
    Jet Pack harness, Made by the same friends

Approximate cost of "freebies" given to me by the greatest friends on the planet;
    $1250.00

My cost excluding paint, time, velcro, elastic, snaps, etc
    $1387.00

Here's what I ended up with minus the blaster
    Last edited by slave1pilot; Jun 18, 2007 at 12:42 AM.
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2007, 4:29 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #56

If it's your first time here, and the first things you want to know are on the lines of "where can I buy a complete costume?" ... then you are in the same boat as me. My costume represents that it is quite possible to do something like that, but having just posted that, I will mention the following:

1) If you are looking for a specific costume component to arrive completed, you MAY be looking at something in the ballpark of what I spent for mine.
    2) It takes some time to get each component. Don't expect it to arrive in 2 days.
    3) I did NOT do zero-work on my costume. Most of the work I did involved a bunch of electronics wiring and modifications, soft armor weathering, and putting everything together.

Before anyone reads my post, I will say the figure I come up with is near the upper end of the range of how much a costume costs. So any newcomer who reads this, PLEASE DON'T TURN AWAY FROM THE PROJECT! The reason I posted this is because most of my costume components came from some of the best propmakers on TDH.:thumbup Also, most of them came "ready to wear!" I am the type that likes to have it ready to go when it arrives ... but that means it costs more since I was willing to pay others to do work for me (like painting and weathering.)

Anyway, here it goes. I don't want to post the marker of each item as he/she may not want his/her prices made public:

Boots: $140
    Boot Spikes: $54
    Spats: $15
    Shin tools (painted): $210
    Girth Belt: $60
    Ammo Belt: $200
    US Divers Belt/Buckle: $40
    Belt Pouches: $45
    Vest: $90
    Jumpsuit: $123
    Gloves: $85
    Neck Seal: $49
    Wookiee Braids: $40
    Armor (knee w/ darts, cod, kidney, chest, collar, back, shoulder) (painted): $849
    Collar studs: $25
    Chest display: $79
    Cape: $31
    Helmet (painted): $630
    Rangefinder & stalk: $70
    Jet Pack (painted): $1,135
    Screen accurate jet pack harness: $700
    Jet Pack Beacon & stabilizer: $70
    Gauntlets (unpainted): $350
    Gauntlet darts: $40
    Blaster: $500
    Voice modulator: $500
    RF LEDs & remote controlled servo: $237
    Mic & Speaker: $75
    -------------------------------------------------------
    TOTAL: $6,443

(The things I did not include are things like velcro, straps, clips, snaps, helmet fans, LEDS, wires, switches ... stuff like that.)
    Last edited by Jimmy BufFETT; Aug 20, 2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Costume upgrade!
    Jun 17, 2007, 11:20 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #57

How much did Fetthunter's suit cost?

Note: some of these parts were bought directly from their respective manufacturers, and some were bought 2nd hand (Cargo Hold, eBay, RPF, etc.)

1. Helmet: $600 MSH1 #7 (painted)
    2. Neck seal: made into jumpsuit
    3. Vest: $75 RA
    4. Armor: $100 FD (painted myself)
    5. Jumpsuit: $209 BM (with mods)
    6. Girthbelts: $35 FD (dyed myself)
    7. Ammo belts $120 PS leather
    8. Belt pouches $45 FD
    9. Jet Pack $450 MO (painted myself)
    10. Jet Pack harness: $10 FD
    11. Knee armor: $30 FD (painted myself)
    12. Shin tools: $20 FD
    13. Boot spats: $15 FD
    14. Boots: $300 MC
    15. Blaster ROTJ: $175 SP
    16. Gloves: $90 S1
    17. Cape: $35 FD
    18. Chest display: $185 SM
    19. Gauntlets(both): $460 custom (painted myself)
    20. Toe Spikes: included on MC boots
    21. Wookie Braids $25 FD
    22. T-visor: included with helmet
    23. Antenna stalk: $20 (RA aluminum)
    24. Voice amp (black Radio Shack): $55
    25. Fett Voice synth: $165 HD
    26. Fett Voice /compressor/modulator: $50 FD
    27. Jet Pack decals: $15 VdS
    28. Chest & shoulder decals: $10 VdS
    29. Aluminum shoulder studs: $20 RD
    30. Resin calc pad: $6 FD
    31. Resin dental expander: $6 FD
    Misc. paints, sandpaper, tools, sealer, and other necessary items: $300
    (and I could have very well forgotten something...)

Total: $3526.00

And keep in mind that it has taken me 5 years to get to this point. Many items have been bought and replaced 2-4 times over the past 5 years as they break or as I find better quality/more accurate items to replace them with.

Also note that a lot of my prices seem REALLY low, such as my shin tools and spats. That's because I made them myself to save money. I could have easily spent an additional $1500 by paying other people to build and paint my parts (good thing I got acquainted with an airbrush eary on in this process!).

I guess since the summer of 2002 I've probably spent somewhere in the range of $4500 - $5000 on my suit, in all of its "incarnations". Of course that was buying a little here and a little there. There's NO WAY I could've dropped that kind of money on a costume all at once. It was done bit by bit, over time.
    Last edited by Fetthunter; Aug 17, 2007 at 1:29 AM.
    Jun 18, 2007, 12:14 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #58

Quote Jimmy BufFETT said: View Post
    Jet Pack (painted): $1,135
    man, and to think i sold JP#2 for $250!!!
    Jun 18, 2007, 12:30 AM - 7602's suit #59

i like the idea of folks each posting their breakdowns... i think it gives people a good idea of the variety of options, and what people spend their $$ on, since we all have areas we put a lot into, and areas we skimp on.

my prices are slightly rounded, since i didn't keep great track of things. in most cases, i'm on my 3rd or 4th version of a part. this just represents the current stuff as of now.

flightsuit: $30, since i made it myself
    vest: around $100 for the tackle twill and sewing (batninja)
    neck seal: $30ish? (tk409)
    gloves: $85 (THE REAL GLOVES)
    boots: $100 (caboots.com)
    boot spikes: i forget... i want to say $50. (omega_man)
    spats: scrap fabric, no cost really
    shin tools: $50ish, including an original patterson squeegee
    knee armor: $30, capricorn armor
    knee darts: $50ish, (russrep)
    ammo belt: $100 (99centTaco)
    girth belt: $30 i think (crazy4bobafett), then dye and straps
    armor: $1100 (partsandtechnical.com)
    chest display: $80ish? (shackman)
    shoulder studs: $40ish? (psberetta)
    rocket pack: $320 (bradleyfett)
    - us divers belt buckle: $50
    - beacon and stabilizer: $70 (psberetta)
    gauntlets: $350 (manowar)
    - gauntlet rocket/darts: around $140, could have been psberetta or russrep
    - dental expander: $10 fettpride
    - mq1 keypad: $150 (original casio)
    cape: $10 army tent
    wookiee braids: $35 (julie)
    helmet: $550 (HS sun)
    - chin cup: $25 (fettpride)
    visor: $20 (bobamaker)
    blaster: $550? (HS webley, elvistrooper barrel, tasco scope, blast-tech fins and sidewinder greeblies)

then probably $100 worth of paint, glue, velcro, etc...

so total is around $4275, give or take a few bucks.

hahaha... i thought i was done! since the original post i finished up the blaster and got a new bucket
    Last edited by stormtrooperguy; Dec 31, 2007 at 5:26 PM. Reason: my fett addiction needed feeding, so new parts were added
    Jun 21, 2007, 10:19 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #60

Quote Rat_Fett said: View Post
    Completed Fett.....Priceless!
    hahaha
    Jun 22, 2007, 5:02 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #61

yeah, i'd say for my jango, I'm lookin somewhere between 3000 and 3500 total, and theres still a few pieces I'd like to upgrade

crappy ebay armor (v1) 150.00
    JD armor - fiberglass helmet and all armor - 500.00 give or take a little
    helmet gasket - 40
    MLC Arena pack - 385
    MLC v2 pack - 385
    blue door gauntlets - 150
    jumpsuit - 70
    vest - 65-75
    gloves - 20
    cummerbun - 40
    belt/pouches/holsters - made myself, and when all was said and done, probably about 150 give or take a bit
    MR westars - 600
    knee darts - 65-85
    reinone boots - 200
    another 100 or so in materials

I'd like to upgrade my gauntlets one of these days, and I'm about due for a new jumpsuit. It's nice to almost have it where i want it, but theres no way i would have been able to drop that kind of cash in one shot. All I can say is be patient, do your research, this forum is a mine of good info and better people!
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 Silver Fett's Avatar
    Jun 23, 2007, 8:17 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #62

Thanks for all the prices. I wish to start building my costume very soon. I've so far saved a little over $2000. I was planning on buying my Boba Fett costume from Star Fortress Production. But due terrible reviews about SFP, I've decided not to. So I plan on building my fett costume and hope I'll turn out just fine.
    Jun 23, 2007, 12:22 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #63

yep, unless you like throwing money out a car window at 80 mph, stay away from SFP. they're bad juju on a pretty grand scale.
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 Silver Fett's Avatar
    Jun 23, 2007, 5:09 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #64

lol, very true abntroop
  15. Jun 27, 2007, 9:27 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #65

Hi everyone.
    I AM new here, but as for sticker shock... no, not really. My husband and I have been doing 'Klingon' for Star Trek for some time, so there really isn't anything that would shock me for a price tag anymore. Seems like DIY can be your best friend sometimes in the world of Star Trek, so we know the feeling. We're going to try to do a Zam (me) and Jango (him), and so far, your board kicks butt for ideas and 'how-to's'. We havent' fully 'evolved' from Star Trek (just try to make him stop! I'm making him a new Klingon outfit now ), and in the learning stages for our new outfits-to-be, but fear not. We haven't met a price tag that drove us off yet; just takes a little extra saving, that's all. We're hoping to be in the bounty hunter game soon enough. Just wanted to say 'hi', since I'll be on here a LOT for ideas. Bye!
  16. Jul 23, 2007, 6:09 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #66

I'm new here too. Sticker shock doesn't happen to me often either. I built my own custom Sith costume a few years back...though that only cost me about $700, and takes around 4 hours to get into. I'm also a comp geek who likes the most bad (and therefore expensive) rigs.

I'm currently designing a custom Mando in what spare time I have over here, and when I get back I'll start construction. I've already estimated the price at several thousand, and prepared to spend more.

One quick side note on weathering. I'm debating if I'm going to weather mine or not, or maybe do a tad bit. I like my stuff being spick and span, and if I were a r/l Mando with my mentality when I'm not working I'd be cleaning/tending to my armor. So what does everyone think? Weather, not weather, or just a little bit?

-Cit
    Last edited by MaulMaus; Jul 23, 2007 at 1:06 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language
    Jul 23, 2007, 11:14 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #67

Quote Citokre Dekanis said: View Post
    I like my stuff being spick and span, and if I were a r/l Mando with my mentality when I'm not working I'd be cleaning/tending to my armor. So what does everyone think? Weather, not weather, or just a little bit?

-Cit
    that's the great thing about customs... you can do whatever you want with it. i think a clean and shiny mando could be interesting.
  18. Jul 23, 2007, 12:57 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #68

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    that's the great thing about customs... you can do whatever you want with it. i think a clean and shiny mando could be interesting.
    Yeah, I think I'll definitely go with a clean Mando...not too shiny though, mine's going to be based on stealth so it'll be more subdued: Dark green, black...want a third color, still deciding.

I'm pretty good at CG art...but that's scenery and stuff...I can't draw or model a CG character for ****. I wish I could draw up my concept to show everyone. I'm probably going to make the majority of the armor out of steel. I'd like all the armor pieces to be steel, but there's some components, helmet especially, that are way beyond my metal working level.

I'm also going to make two beskad to go with it.

-Cit
    Nov 3, 2007, 11:10 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #69

4 hours to get dressed??? Even with all my side fat I can get into Jango in around 20-25 minutes with some help with my girthbelt, backplate and jet pack!!!
  20. formerly The Few the Proud 501st Blackshadow's Avatar
    Dec 4, 2007, 1:55 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #70

So where is the best place to buy this stuff cause i heard about a few places but where is the best
    Dec 4, 2007, 1:58 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #71

Quote The Few the Proud 501st said: View Post
    So where is the best place to buy this stuff cause i heard about a few places but where is the best
    you're there now. this is the best place to go for anything fett related.

as far as specific people / places.. that's all in the eye of the beholder. some people will prefer certain sizes, materials, etc... no-one can really tell you what is the "best"

just read the various threads and see what you like.
    Jan 17, 2008, 2:54 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #72

Thanks for the prices we might spend down the road with this costume choice. I'm a Newbie here but some of you know me from other places. Please don't hold that against me
    Jan 23, 2008, 7:52 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #73

Jumping Johosafat! That's a lot of money! This kind of makes me want to rethink my Boba Fett costume. So far, I have nearly nothing done.
    Jan 23, 2008, 9:01 PM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #74

Well right now my running tally of aquired materials for my ROTJ Fett is $1458. I still need my gauntlets, accessories for the gauntlets, EE-3 blaster, vest, motorized components for my RF and the paints required to finish my helmet and armor. So, I am looking forward to that 07 tax refund check!
    Jan 30, 2008, 12:35 AM - Re: New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend! #75

Long time reader, first time joiner. And glad to be here!

I would like to reenforce the fact that there is no "cheap" way out of a Fett. I know from experience. I was trying to beat a convention deadline last year and work within my budget - which was practically nothing after my divorce - and came up with a fairly decent costume with an odd sort of blaster for about $400 NOT counting the helmet. Before I knew about this forum I did buy a pretty darn decent helmet off ebay but it was another $400 in itself. I had no idea I was paying too much for that repainted Don Post, but I still say it's a pretty good one. I did by a couple of other pieces on ebay - cape from TK409 (which is how I eventually got to this site), wookiee braids and chest armor. The rest was cheap materials and it shows. So there's $800 for a costume that is far from canon but has done me well for the area I live and has lasted through 5 appearances in the last year. But it's definitely subpar.

So for any of the newcomers who see the shots of some of you guys' brilliant costumes and expects to come off easy, I hate to disappoint them to tell them they can't, but they just can't. Which is where I'm at.

I'm probably going to retire my scratchbuilt Fett and start on making something real. And I'm being just as real about it. Like I am, newbies should expect to spend a year or two on their costume just to get one done and years after that upgrading and keeping it maintained, unless you're just going to put it on a mannequin.

We'd all love for this to be easy but it's not. It's about passion. Passion for the uniform. Passion for Star Wars. Passion for the Fett.

And, apparently, according to the number of people in these forums, man, it's simply great!

So if you're new to this forum and, like me, starting your real Fett adventure, then buckle up, adjust your rangefinder, and get ready for the pursuit that leads to the grandest of rewards, no matter how long you have to chase it. Because there just isn't anything better IMO.

And who said the life of a bounty hunter was easy anyway?

Good luck to you all! And may the fo......well...may the bounty come easier than expected. After all, it's worth a lot to me..and all of us.