Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New Project - My Son's Desert Skiff Bed

From
    Arizona

New Project - My Son's Desert Skiff Bed

So last week my son walked up to me and said, "Daddy, will you make me something?" I figured he was just hungry and wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I then asked what he wanted and he said " a bed". When I asked him what kind of bed he showed me this toy of his:

I so don't have the skills to pull off something like this so I humored him and said "we'll see", thinking he would forget about it in a day or two. When I dropped him off to school later that week he said, "you go work on my bed". I said OK, and shrugged it off. When I went back a few hours later and picked him up, the first thing he said was "Is my bed done yet?"

That's when I realized I had no other choice but to try and pull this off. So, my R2-D2 project is on hold for a little while and away we go.............

I quickly learned this was beyond my skill level. The design, as you can clearly see, needed heavy modification to fit my expertise level. My son is so excited each day we work on this (despite only having a vague similarity to the toy) and seeing him smile is all that matters.

This is 2 days of work, I have more in store, including the control panel with switches, LEDs, and some sound and I have an idea for one of the sail wings. We also picked up the paint today, more to come...........

From
    FLORIDA

Re: New Project - My Son's Desert Skiff Bed

This is pretty sick!! What a great DAD!!!

I think I had that toy. Good luck! Looking great!

From
    Australia

That looks fantastic mate! Can't wait to see it finished.

From
    Galati, Romania

What could you wish more in life than this: father and son working together, making a kid's dream to come true! Excellent start so far!

From
    Brisbane, Australia

That is awesome mate...well done

From
    Cheshire, UK

Look forward to the progress on this!

From
    Arizona

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

From
    Cookeville, TN

Have you considered making a drawer that pulls out of the bottom that could be the plank?

You are a good definition of a father. That bed is amazing! It shows that you have not forgotten what it is loke to be a child.

From
    Kentucky and/or Tennessee

That is so cool!

From
    Eastern Canada

man you got some skills in the wood department. if my son asked me to make anything with wood, i wood half to go for the sandwich idea.

Nice job so far..

From
    Arizona

Muad'Dib said: View Post
    Have you considered making a drawer that pulls out of the bottom that could be the plank?
    Thanks guys. To be honest, that's an awesome idea, but probably not going to happen!

From
    Arizona

Today I wanted to work on the first part of the sail fin, as well as some trim work. I bought a wood plate from Michael's and two rebar caps from Lowes. I mounted the rebar cap to a wood block, then to the wood plate.

I also picked up this replacement foot rest leg, mounted it as the top piece.

I then mounted the wooden dowel to the plate.

I also bought some schedule 40 connectors, luckily the larger piece just barely fit the over rebar cap. A little glue and a few wacks with the mallet and it's secure as can be. The smaller coupling fits into the larger piece.

Here's how it looks mounted. I am a little bummed, I made it just a bit shorter than I wanted, but oh well. I think it will look much better when painted.

Next I'll finish the rear part of the sail.

From
    Murrieta Ca.

...This is awesome!!!

From
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

This looks fantastic mate, once it's finished, you should paint a desert scene on his bedroom walls!

You are one of the best dads ever.

This is looking great.

Craig

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Awesome project!

Relish this experience!... My older guys are out of Star Wars (for now) and I'm waiting for my youngest to get into it.

...actually we all watched the last 5 episodes of Clone Wars last night... and had a great time! (I know they still like SW but they have to act independant)

From
    Washington DC

That's really great. I have twin boys about to get into small beds. Looks awesome.

Awesome bed!! Well done! Have 2 lil 2 year old boys. Looking forward to introducing them to the starwars world someday soon

From
    Rainbow Beach QLD Australia

****.... Can you be my dad?

Awesome!

From
    Northern VA

This is a great project

From
    Arizona

Thanks guys!

I did some more work today, and I will say this, this sucker almost defeated me today! Everything that can go wrong, practically did. My control box got completely screwed up, I made a mistake with my design and I split a chunk of wood off, but I worked around it.

The first thing I did was worked on the audio. I was looking for something inexpensive and easy to work with, so I got these audio discs from Build-A-Bear (the same one I used on my Jawa), they're about $8 each. But this time I messed around with it. I removed the push button and soldered a momentary on/off button from Radio Shack. It actually works pretty good, you'll see later in the video.

I bought 3, 2 for separate blaster sounds and 1 for an engine sound. The only thing that sucks is you only get about 10 seconds, so the engine sound was cut short. The blaster ones are perfect.

Here's the button that I mounted to a plug, these go on top of the piloting sticks.

I mounted the speakers to the inside of the control column. I also used schedule 40 PVC for the handles.

Here's a view with the column nearly complete.

Here's the control panel lit up. I managed to get a broken oil gauge from the local auto parts store and back lit it with a white LED. I also added 2 lighted switches, one controls the red LEDs and the other the blue. I added another momentary on/off switch, this one controls the engine sound. The two switches below the yellow lights control the yellow lights and oil gauge and the other controls some red LEDs on the side of the bed.

Here's a video of how everything works. All the LEDs are powered by a 9V battery, the sound is controlled separately by the internal batteries of each disc. The pilot control handles move forward and back.

Star Wars Desert Skiff Bed.MPG - YouTube

I think tomorrow I wil start painting, it's pretty much ready for paint, save a few minor touch-ups and detail work.

My son and daughter loved this, they played with those switches for half the day. My son kept pretending he was taking off and landing, it was priceless and makes this all worth while.
    Last edited by azheat01; Feb 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM.

From
    Arizona

Here's a better view of the control sticks, used several pieces of PVC pipe.