Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Jun 19, 2009, 4:30 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #26

I don't get why people are so touchy about bringing back really old posts....I mean if it's just to bump post counts thats one things, but sometimes people have current, relevant info to add to an old topic.
    Jun 19, 2009, 5:48 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #27

just a question. how long do you have to be a member before you quit being new? i still considcer myself new and iv started a thread or two.
    Jun 19, 2009, 5:51 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #28

Quote ShocKWavE said: View Post
    I don't get why people are so touchy about bringing back really old posts....I mean if it's just to bump post counts thats one things, but sometimes people have current, relevant info to add to an old topic.
    I totally agree. Sometimes there are new and interresting info about old topics. I have seen it several times here. But then it isn't a post that is like, "nice".
    Jun 19, 2009, 5:53 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #29

Quote Creon said: View Post
    just a question. how long do you have to be a member before you quit being new? i still considcer myself new and iv started a thread or two.
    Well, when it comes to being new, it is just a matter of definition. A baby is pretty new the first few months i would say. And here i think new is something in the vicinity of the first year. Or maybe the first 50 posts??
    idunno
    Jun 19, 2009, 9:05 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #30

yeah, I am still kinda new... I would like to think I have contributed a little bit in my first year here as a newbie
    Jun 19, 2009, 9:24 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #31

I'm still kind of new here and I think this is nit picking. I don't post unless the topic interests me. But I have posted 'my' thoughts and still don't get any real comments so should I start a thread about being ignored? Or will I be banished for saying this? Really!
    Jun 21, 2009, 9:28 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #32

I couldn't have said it better myself BH Reaper.
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Jun 21, 2009, 10:14 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #33

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creon

Well, when it comes to being new, it is just a matter of definition. A baby is pretty new the first few months i would say. And here i think new is something in the vicinity of the first year. Or maybe the first 50 posts??
    idunno

Hmm, that is a good question. I've been a member here for longer than Mojo-Fett, but as to who has been more productive here, there is no question. My Fett project has been shelved for now, and will remain so until I can finish my Ghostbusters gears. I'll try to be more of an member after that.
    Still, I'd like to add that there are many 'Great work' comments coming from older members too. Is the difference with newbie commenting 'Great work' from an older member that the older knows a little more of what he is saying, whereas the newbie is still learning..?
    It may seem as spamming or futile comment, but a complement is a complement. And the new guys, me along everyone, are still learning. Until it becomes clear that some one is resurecting old threads just to increase his post count, it should not matter. Locking you the ancient threads would work too, it only makes finding them a little harder.
    Not wanting to rustle any feathers here, just my two cents.
    Jun 21, 2009, 10:46 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #34

Noob checking in! Great thread!
    Jun 21, 2009, 12:39 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #35

i like the idea of autolocking threads after a year...then if someone really has something to add a mod could always open back up if notified through a PM
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Jun 21, 2009, 2:03 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #36

Quote BH Reaper said: View Post
    I'm still kind of new here and I think this is nit picking. I don't post unless the topic interests me. But I have posted 'my' thoughts and still don't get any real comments so should I start a thread about being ignored? Or will I be banished for saying this? Really!

AMEN TO THIS!!

This kinda of nit picking is not normally found here and that is what makes TDH better than other forums. This kind of discussion, makes everyone question whether what they post is "valuable" or not. Does it really matter?

I think we need to remember that "the more is merrier", if we start scrutinizing new people on the boards, they will not want to stay. They don't stay and we oldies get old and stale.

I have posted "looking good" now, and when I was first here. I admit it and I am proud of it.

Post on!! The only way not to be new is to hang around a bit and get old.

As far as I know, younger is better. Old is crotchety. Are we Crotchety?

I am only Crotchety when I have a headache and the sitlings are running around screaming in the courtyard.

"get off my lawn"

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

POST ON!!!!!
    Last edited by LadySewforus; Jun 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM.
    Jun 21, 2009, 3:36 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #37

I seem to remember someone here with the signature of
    "You are not your post count". So whats the big deal. You can still see the date they joined if your worried if it's a "noob" complementing you. There are a lot of great costumes here and while some people (me included after all these years) may not know the subtle differences in all the varying parts, they can still look and think, "Thats awesome". We were all new at one point. If they are being rude, thats one thing, but the day I complain about getting a complement, is near immposibility.
    Jun 21, 2009, 4:50 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #38

I am one of the original members and I post "well done, or GJ!" type stuff all the time....Who cares
    Jun 21, 2009, 7:40 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #39

I really don't see the problem with people posting praise or compliments. When I was new here, I searched through TONS of threads and enjoyed giving compliments and still do. I think the only thing that is annoying some people is when a new guy posts "good job" on a thread that is three years old. When that happens, it may seem like that person is trying to get a higher post count. Even then, what is the big deal? This is TDH! This place is known for being a newb-friendly online community. Nowadays, people make a lot of fuss about this type of thing....what good does it do? It just makes em look like jerks.

**I'm not directing this at the thread starter. I have seen this sort of thing on TONS of forums such as the 405th Halo costuming site. Those guys can be down right hostile...which is why I have never posted there.
    Jun 21, 2009, 7:43 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #40

The same can be said for various other forums too, like the Winamp forums. They sometimes get a little downright hostile as well, and honestly, a tad bit too juvenile. That's pretty much why I haven't posted there in two years.
    Jun 21, 2009, 8:44 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #41

Quote Kwally89 said: View Post
    I really don't see the problem with people posting praise or compliments. When I was new here, I searched through TONS of threads and enjoyed giving compliments and still do. I think the only thing that is annoying some people is when a new guy posts "good job" on a thread that is three years old. When that happens, it may seem like that person is trying to get a higher post count. Even then, what is the big deal? This is TDH! This place is known for being a newb-friendly online community. Nowadays, people make a lot of fuss about this type of thing....what good does it do? It just makes em look like jerks.

**I'm not directing this at the thread starter. I have seen this sort of thing on TONS of forums such as the 405th Halo costuming site. Those guys can be down right hostile...which is why I have never posted there.
    I agree completely about the at-a-boy comments! Totally do it I say! Everyone loves a little encouragement and praise for their hard work!!!

But the old post thing IS annoying. some of the members who's threads are getting posted on havent even logged in in three years! I like CombatBaby's idea. lock the thread, and if something important or relevent is to be added, give the mods (and perhaps the thread's author) the ability to bring it back. no harm in that, and it keeps those threads from floating around the top of the lists.

Just my 2cents

A'den

PS- Happy Father's Day!!!

PPS- @Debbi... the way you stand up for things is amazing. I hope we (actually, i hope I) dont come off as crotchety. Just trying to make a more efficient system.
    @all: I hope i dont seem like a newby hater. I'm still a MAJOR noob, and totally think that this site is the most friendly of all the forums I'm a part of! You all are the best!!! :thumbup
  17. Jun 21, 2009, 11:12 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #42

after reading through this entire thread, i was hesitant to even say anything.

but here goes:

I am new here, and i did introduce myself in my own thread...i can say that being new, at first i felt a little odd, maybe even sheepish to ask a few questions because i thought some would think, "you should already know the answer to that"...also, there are some areas where new people cannot post, which makes things that much more difficult...

i do post and compliment people on thier work, and i actually read through the entire thread to see how thier mando/fett/jango has progressed before posting...however, i do like to give people positive feedback and encouragment on thier projects therefore i am guilty of that.

as far as resurrecting dead threads, i could understand how that would possibly be considered aggravating...however, sometimes you have to dig to find a thread to discover inspiration for a femme mando (maybe we could have those stickied (sp?) or placed in another topic field (dont shoot me, or anything like that, just a little suggestion)???

i know that my post count is high for being new, but i work in a call center, and we tend to have alot of down time...therefore, i enjoy spending it seeing what people come up with when they let creativity take over...

the only reason i havent had a chance to even start on my own mando so i can post pics for critique, etc. is because i'm getting ready to move and do not have time to even start on such an endeavor (believe me i wish i did)...the only reason i make any mention of that is because i have a feeling that maybe some people may become upset when a noob doesnt right away start a thread about how well thier armor/bucket, etc is coming along...but if you are chastising (sp?) noobs for making posts that compliment people, etc, that would make those who have been working on project a little hesitant to post thier progress on here ...

sorry if i have upset anyone or ruffled any feathers, believe me i was in no way shape or form trying to rant or anything like that, only to give some insight...i do know that thus far everyone i have chatted with on here has been really awesome, and has answered any question i may have, for that i am thankful...hope you all had a great weekend
    Jun 22, 2009, 2:44 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #43

Quote nah'ima tifett said: View Post
    as far as resurrecting dead threads, i could understand how that would possibly be considered aggravating...however, sometimes you have to dig to find a thread to discover inspiration for a femme mando...
    i totally know what you are talking about! but it isnt the digging for old threads that is the stated probled (im all for mining the forums all the back to this board's begining post to find info and answers); it is just when people uncover those ancient threads, find what they were searching for, then drop a "good going!" reply. THAT is somewhat irritating.
    Jun 22, 2009, 7:26 AM - Re: New members (spamming) #44

Good job

Jun 22, 2009, 4:11 PM - Re: New members (spamming) #45

Hey just my 2 cents here but I feel that there is a limit to saying "good job".

Saying "Good Job" and "Nice Work" are vital for encouragement and support of fellow Fett Heads and their projects. Heck, I've done it myself. I do not think that the members addressing this issue are upset or annoyed with people making those comments. It is when you see a member post like 20+ times in an hour only saying "Good Job" or "Nice" is where it gets annoying.

If you have lots of free time and see 20+ posts you want to comment on, you could always say "Good Job, I liked what you did because...." That way you actually become part of the discussion and can maybe then in turn offer some helpful feedback.

But to address Nah'Ima, I don't think you have to post your progress right away. A Fett takes TIME and to be honest it is probably better to wait before you rush into it. When I started here, I had some armor and 1.5+ years later still am working on mine. I also don't have a progress thread up, but once it is done I will post a showoff. BTW it is looking like version 1 will be done by the end of the summer!!

So thats just my opinion about it.

Oh and to everyone new here.....WELCOME to the MADDNESS....I mean...the FAMILY!!!!

Cheers