Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New members (spamming)

From
    Horten, Norway

New members (spamming)

Is it just me, or is the trend for new members to click on different posts just to add a lame comment? I do believe they try to get up to a post count so they can sell items etc. I find this to be a little bit annoying, since they are just writing things like "good work", or "looks great". And THATS the only comment from the member. Don't take this the wrong way, i welcome new members, but i think they should get to know this forum first, and also they could introduce themselfs in another thread. When you see people joining the forum the same day they post like 15 comments in a matter of a couple minutes apart, it seems a little fishy.

Just a little frustration from my side.
    Comments/thoughts are welcome

From
    I dont even know!

Re: New members (spamming)

Ive noticed the same thing. A lot of the time I notice those type of comments are made on threads that are from years ago as well.

From
    The miserable mill

they must really want to sell something...

i will agree they could at least diversify the comments, but i think the original post count rule is what started it...which i don't disagree with anyway.

either way you're either going to have the at'a'boy posts or tons of junk in the post count limited threads.

From
    OH

I've noticed it too... sometimes it is hard to filter if they are really new members or just spammers

From
    Newport News, VA

Looks great. Good work.

From
    Beaverton, Oregon

Nice.

From
    I dont even know!

I guess this is turning into an "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em" situation

From
    Lawrence, KS

speaking as a new member I think part of it also comes from the fact that in the begining there isn't much that a person can comment on other than to compliment costumes. Most discusions etc on the board are in the sarlacc pit, we can't comment on any of the runs being produced in the cargo hold. So that leaves trying to add information and answers to questions that are asked (which at least for me I felt uncomfortable doing at first as I was new) or complimenting armor that is built.

As per the point that we should look around before we start posting, I can only speak for myself, but I've been checking this board off and on for over a year and looking around before I decided to join, I was ready to post when I signed up. I hope this helps get a little bit out from the other side and maybe provide some understanding. I know for me I never left I comment I didn't feel was deserved, and I apologize if the posts i've made feel like spamming to you guys.

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

To add to what Dr3w stated above, new members have so many restrictions in place that prevent them from posting much else. At least until they have a high enough post count that they can finaly start their own threads. So I can understand, though don't always agree, with the short quips to build up their post counts so that they can officially contribute to the boards.

From
    Temecula, CA

I had a long rant
    Last edited by Chucko; Jun 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: but chose to remove it

From
    Glendale, Arizona

I've noticed this a LOT in the mando-variant section; you get posts that say "good work! nice suit" in a thread that hasnt been posted in since 2007...you see all the bright red dots (unread post indicator thingies) and then you look over and see that the top eight are all from the same person, who now has a grand total of eight posts... guess there is nothing we can do about it though...

From
    Las Vegas, NV

You know... something I have seen implemented at other forums is that old threads get locked... like after one year... Hmmm...

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    I've noticed this a LOT in the mando-variant section; you get posts that say "good work! nice suit" in a thread that hasnt been posted in since 2007...you see all the bright red dots (unread post indicator thingies) and then you look over and see that the top eight are all from the same person, who now has a grand total of eight posts... guess there is nothing we can do about it though...
    I can back this up, there is way to much necro going on in the variant board. Stuff from 2007 just has no business being brought back to life for a "Wow I love your armor!" post.

From
    Horten, Norway

ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    You know... something I have seen implemented at other forums is that old threads get locked... like after one year... Hmmm...
    Can't someone with computer skills do something about that, it was an excellent idea.

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

I don't think computer skills aren't really needed for something like that. I think an option like that is included with the type of forum software used. I could be completely wrong though, but that would seem the obvious way that's implemented.

[edit] The reason why my post count is kind of high is because I'm disabled, so I collect SSDI, which means I don't work, so I spend a lot of time on my computer. Plus, this place is pretty addicting. [/edit]
    Last edited by Mereel; Jun 18, 2009 at 3:17 PM.

From
    ha why ee

super awesome!

i agree!

From
    Murrieta CA

Great comments.

From
    Oslo, Norway

Maybe a thread could get locked after being without posts for a said period of time, shorter than a year even. On another note, allowing a threadstarter to either lock or delete their own threads might clean up the forum of old threads a little.

Another option would be to add a sort of sub-section in each forum where threads older than so-and-so get moved to after a while.

Hmm...I donīt know, just tossing out some ideas of the topof my head. Gotta go watch Cops now :-P

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

Another Forum I'm a member of, but having been active in around two years, has something along those lines and they call it the Recycle Bin. It's pretty much for threads that don't belong anywhere else, or threads that someone had started just to pump up their post count. It seemed to work well enough for them, at least.

From
    Oslo, Norway

Should work, yeah. As long as the threads stay available and arenīt too hard to find, seeing that lot of threads here have loads of tips, hints and information that should be easy to fond. But I guess thatīs why we have the search function

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

Maybe a new sub-forum could be made for members to post tips and the like. Threads a little bit more than the Wiki, if that's possible.

Dr3w said: View Post
    speaking as a new member I think part of it also comes from the fact that in the begining there isn't much that a person can comment on other than to compliment costumes. Most discusions etc on the board are in the sarlacc pit, we can't comment on any of the runs being produced in the cargo hold. So that leaves trying to add information and answers to questions that are asked (which at least for me I felt uncomfortable doing at first as I was new) or complimenting armor that is built.

As per the point that we should look around before we start posting, I can only speak for myself, but I've been checking this board off and on for over a year and looking around before I decided to join, I was ready to post when I signed up. I hope this helps get a little bit out from the other side and maybe provide some understanding. I know for me I never left I comment I didn't feel was deserved, and I apologize if the posts i've made feel like spamming to you guys.

I personally think that this is a mole hill becoming a mountain. We need to remember that Newbie's are just awkard, WE are were.... and we ALL are still

It is typical newbie activity. No newbie should feel bad. It has been the same for most all of the new people to all forums.

I think we need to give them some slack. Welcome them here. If they will be long lasting and valuable members, the will stick around and their posts will be more productive as they settle in.

Welcome Newbies!

Let us "oldies remember that we are one of the kindest forums here. Let's keep it that way!

LadySewforus said: View Post
    I personally think that this is a mole hill becoming a mountain. We need to remember that Newbie's are just awkard, WE are were.... and we ALL are still

It is typical newbie activity. No newbie should feel bad. It has been the same for most all of the new people to all forums.

I think we need to give them some slack. Welcome them here. If they will be long lasting and valuable members, the will stick around and their posts will be more productive as they settle in.

Welcome Newbies!

Let us "oldies remember that we are one of the kindest forums here. Let's keep it that way!
    I agree and thank you for your kind words. I was recently a "New Member" and I can say that it is hard to get your post count high enough for the step up. I wanted to start new posts with questions that I had, but I wasn't able to. I basically had to compliment peoples work, and ask questions in other people posts (related posts of course). I am happy to be a part of this forum, and you all make me feel welcomed and part of the forum. So thanks again to all of you.

Nice work by the way

From
    Horten, Norway

Thellmann said: View Post
    I agree and thank you for your kind words. I was recently a "New Member" and I can say that it is hard to get your post count high enough for the step up. I wanted to start new posts with questions that I had, but I wasn't able to. I basically had to compliment peoples work, and ask questions in other people posts (related posts of course). I am happy to be a part of this forum, and you all make me feel welcomed and part of the forum. So thanks again to all of you.

Nice work by the way
    Hi Thellmann. Like you said here, it is hard to find things to write in the other posts. But if you use the posts for asking questions and writing a little more than "good work", that is exactly the way you should build up your post count. I know when people join this awesome forum they are super-eager to get started with their Fett. But like stated earlier, maybe not post around 15 posts in a afternoon with "nice". Welcome to the forum.
    And......
    Good posting

Doesn't it take 14 days to get access, in addition to posting? Should be plenty of time to find something to write other than "Nice work!". But when you get here as a newbie there is so much amazing to see, so people will comment on that anyway. As long as it's new threads, I'm cool with it.