New members (spamming)

KoRn3000

Active Hunter
Is it just me, or is the trend for new members to click on different posts just to add a lame comment? I do believe they try to get up to a post count so they can sell items etc. I find this to be a little bit annoying, since they are just writing things like "good work", or "looks great". And THATS the only comment from the member. Don't take this the wrong way, i welcome new members, but i think they should get to know this forum first, and also they could introduce themselfs in another thread. When you see people joining the forum the same day they post like 15 comments in a matter of a couple minutes apart, it seems a little fishy.

Just a little frustration from my side.
Comments/thoughts are welcome

Ive noticed the same thing. A lot of the time I notice those type of comments are made on threads that are from years ago as well.

they must really want to sell something...

i will agree they could at least diversify the comments, but i think the original post count rule is what started it...which i don't disagree with anyway.

either way you're either going to have the at'a'boy posts or tons of junk in the post count limited threads.

speaking as a new member I think part of it also comes from the fact that in the begining there isn't much that a person can comment on other than to compliment costumes. Most discusions etc on the board are in the sarlacc pit, we can't comment on any of the runs being produced in the cargo hold. So that leaves trying to add information and answers to questions that are asked (which at least for me I felt uncomfortable doing at first as I was new) or complimenting armor that is built.

As per the point that we should look around before we start posting, I can only speak for myself, but I've been checking this board off and on for over a year and looking around before I decided to join, I was ready to post when I signed up. I hope this helps get a little bit out from the other side and maybe provide some understanding. I know for me I never left I comment I didn't feel was deserved, and I apologize if the posts i've made feel like spamming to you guys.

To add to what Dr3w stated above, new members have so many restrictions in place that prevent them from posting much else. At least until they have a high enough post count that they can finaly start their own threads. So I can understand, though don't always agree, with the short quips to build up their post counts so that they can officially contribute to the boards.

:lol: I've noticed this a LOT in the mando-variant section; you get posts that say "good work! nice suit" in a thread that hasnt been posted in since 2007...you see all the bright red dots (unread post indicator thingies) and then you look over and see that the top eight are all from the same person, who now has a grand total of eight posts...:lol: guess there is nothing we can do about it though...

You know... something I have seen implemented at other forums is that old threads get locked... like after one year... Hmmm...

:lol: I've noticed this a LOT in the mando-variant section; you get posts that say "good work! nice suit" in a thread that hasnt been posted in since 2007...you see all the bright red dots (unread post indicator thingies) and then you look over and see that the top eight are all from the same person, who now has a grand total of eight posts...:lol: guess there is nothing we can do about it though...

I can back this up, there is way to much necro going on in the variant board. Stuff from 2007 just has no business being brought back to life for a "Wow I love your armor!" post.

I don't think computer skills aren't really needed for something like that. I think an option like that is included with the type of forum software used. I could be completely wrong though, but that would seem the obvious way that's implemented.

[edit] The reason why my post count is kind of high is because I'm disabled, so I collect SSDI, which means I don't work, so I spend a lot of time on my computer. Plus, this place is pretty addicting. :) [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a thread could get locked after being without posts for a said period of time, shorter than a year even. On another note, allowing a threadstarter to either lock or delete their own threads might clean up the forum of old threads a little.

Another option would be to add a sort of sub-section in each forum where threads older than so-and-so get moved to after a while.

Hmm...I don´t know, just tossing out some ideas of the topof my head. Gotta go watch Cops now :p

Another Forum I'm a member of, but having been active in around two years, has something along those lines and they call it the Recycle Bin. It's pretty much for threads that don't belong anywhere else, or threads that someone had started just to pump up their post count. It seemed to work well enough for them, at least.

Should work, yeah. As long as the threads stay available and aren´t too hard to find, seeing that lot of threads here have loads of tips, hints and information that should be easy to fond. But I guess that´s why we have the search function:)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back