Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

New Member Darklord Tries to Build a Better Boba Action Figure

From
    Austin, Texas

Re: New Member Darklord Tries to Build a Better Boba Action Figure

Wow this is fantastic, that is really nice I have the Vintage Original Trilogy Collection Boba Fett: (2004) the Legacy Evolutions / 2010 Vintage Collection Boba Fett and POTJ Boba Fett 300th Figure Special Edition : (2001) And those aren't half as detailed as this.

- the rangefinder stalk is too thick, out of scale
    - the brown wookie scalp is wrong, and too thick, out of scale
    - fetts jumpsuit does not have a pocket on his right arm, yours does now.
    - the double arm sleeves are missing, a key feature on fetts jumpsuit
    - the red on the helmet too bright
    - shin tool pockets are too big now, out of scale and only hold two oversized shin tools
    - the plastic glued onto the back of the helmet is too thick, out of scale, and does not go all the way to the bottom of the helmet, as seen in your pics
    - the vent on the helmet is painted incorrectly

From
    Brooklyn, NY

Thanks Volkerc!

I'll take your keen observations under advisement.

From
    Northern California

This is really fantastic! I've been a collector since '95 and this custom blows away anything made before it. Have you considered repainting all the armor by hand? The red on the helmet seems especially bright.

From
    Brooklyn, NY

Greetings Tsophika!

Nice to meet you. And thanks so much for the kind words about my custom action figure. Greatly appreciated.

The helmet on this action figure is definitely one of the areas that has undergone (and will undergo more) changes since these photos were taken. Some of those changes were performed weeks ago, but I was unable to document them due to a damaged camera.

In my upcoming (and final) photo updates, you can expect to see the helmet's rangefinder stalk shortened by about 2 scale inches, the helmet's cheek stripes painted in the correct dark shade, the 14 yellow stripes at the crown of the helmet added as water transfer decals, and the red ridge at the rear of the helmet re-worked to be much thinner than it appears in these photos.

The shade of the red T visor is actually one area that I am seriously considering leaving as is. I realize that it is not accurate to the much darker, grimier shade of red on the actual helmet, but there is something "toyetic" about the shade as it currently exists that appeals to me... at least for the time being.

But who knows? After I re-paint the helmet cheek stripes, I may end up changing my mind about the T-visor's shade of red. It's kinda hard to say.

Also, for the sake of neatness of paint deco, I do most of my work with an airbrush. However, the final stage weathering of the armored pieces and helmet (exposed metallic silver under flaked paint, etc.) will be done by hand.

From
    Brooklyn, NY

As most of you know, my camera was down for about a month, preventing me from documenting some of my work on this figure.

I was therefore unable to document some progress steps that occurred during the camera’s repair time.

Since those updates on the figure will be evident in the photos that I’m about to post anyway, I will list what those updates were.

1) The rangefinder on Boba’s helmet was shortened by about 2½ scale inches.
    2) The cheek stripes on the helmet were re-painted in the correct flat black.
    3) The T-visor on the helmet was re-painted in a darker shade of red. (Note: this T-visor re-paint was something that I was originally NOT planning to do . But admittedly I did change my mind about the desirability of the “toyetic” bright red after I saw it contrasted against the new flat black cheek stripes.
    4 The minor paint rubs on the utility belt have all been touched up.
    5 The armored shoulder bell for Boba’s left shoulder has been re-painted in the correct canary yellow. Knee pads and right armored shoulder bell have been left orange yellow.

Alright… onto to yesterday’s work…

A couple of months back when I performed the operation to change the profile of the figure’s helmet, I did a lot of filling work with plastic shavings to fill the gaps between the two helmet halves.

There was still a seam visible from the operation that I wanted to make disappear.

I began by using a line of Krazy Glue. I laid down a sealant directly on the seam, and waited for the glue to dry and set.

Once the glue dried and hardened, I sanded the seam smooth with 500 grit sandpaper, and then I did a fine wet-sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper to make the dome as smooth as possible.

I will air-brush the dome tomorrow, once and for all, effectively making the seam vanish.

Undoutedly, the most time-consuming operation I performed yesterday was converting the Imperial Scanning Trooper’s arm sleeves into Boba Fett’s correct double sleeve (sans arm mini pocket).

The first thing I did was to use an X-acto blade to carefully shave away the mini-pocket molded to the right arm. I gave the area a fine sanding to smooth it off, and then I got to work making the upper arm double sleeve.

I used some sewing thread to layout the edge of the upper sleeves by carefully gluing it down around the circumfrence of both arms. Then, with my trusty razor (God, what would I do without that thing?) I re-sculpted the lower sleeve into a narrow taper that appears to emerge from underneath the upper sleeve.

The guide thread at the edge of each new upper sleeve is only TEMPORARY. They will be replaced by micro-thin ribbon to simulate the sleeve cuffs.

Boba’s right arm weapon gauntlet features a clear power tube that tucks underneath his right arm upper sleeve.

I used a big needle to make a hole underneath the upper sleeve ridge that I created. I then made a second hole in the coupling on the wrist weapon gauntlet. These would be the two connection points for the gauntlet’s power feed tube.

I looked around the house for a suitable item to use as the tube. A tiny white / clear plastic binder on the bundle of new sox that I just bought was something that I thought might do the trick. In the end, I rejected it because it did not look like a tube to me, it seemed a bit small in its scale, and it did not have the flexibility I was hoping for. It kept popping out of the sleeve connection point every time I posed the figure’s elbow.

I knew I was going to need a far more flexible material to resolve that issue.

A frantic search ensued in my wife’s closet, and as luck would have it, I located a brand new cashmere sweater that my wife bought for herself. The tag was still attached to the garment by a small clear rubber string! Yes!! Back in business.!!!

I cut a fragment of the string and installed it on the figure. The thicker size, the clarity, and the flexibility of the “tube” were all PERFECT!!

My next order of business was to add the straps for Boba’s armored knee pads. A reasonably straight-forward operation. I used some Plastruct strip styrene to create the straps and glued them into place behind the knees, making sure that the leg articulation was un-affected.

So… a brief re-cap…

1) Helmet’s face colors have been corrected to correct shades
    2) Helmet’s rangefinder has been shortened to correct height
    3) Utility belt paint rubs have been repaired
    4) Armored shoulder bell for left shoulder has been re-painted in correct yellow
    5) Helmet seam has been filled and sanded (awaits air brushing)
    6) Arm pocket has been shaved off / arm sanded smooth
    7) Secondary upper sleeves have been layed-out and sculpted for both arms
    8) Power tube for right weapon gauntlet has been installed
    9) Rear fastening straps for armored knee pads have been installed

Custom Boba as of January 9th, 2011, 7:30 AM:

Coming up next: WOOKIE SCALPS

From
    north carolina

WOW! great work. but it hurts me to see you cutting mr fett all up

From
    Brooklyn, NY

Oh, he's tough. He can take it.

From
    NYC

Loyal follower of this thread....

From
    Jacksonville, NC

Wow! This is intense devotion.....I am in awe! I would so do this if I had the patience and steady hands. I can already picture numerous trips to the hospital to sew my fingertips back on!!!!!

This is going to be a great one of a kind figure, but i must say, to even do this you've GOT to be the most insane person here. My ADD would have me looking fo rsomething else to do within a few hours. Kudos to you, any thought of doing runs?

From
    Galati, Romania

I saw this thread today... And I was speachless on what you've done so far. So much details on a small piece... If you will correct all helmet problems with the proportion and colouring, I think that GL whould be glad to use it in any future Star Wars projects where small sized models are used. Keep up the fantastic work on this!

Respect!

From
    Brooklyn, NY

Thanks a million for the kind words, guys!

I just wish that I could work on this figure daily and get it finished in a timely manner.

Unfortunately, my work schedule only allows me to work on it maybe once every week.

But the good news is, it shouldn't be too much longer now.

just looking at the full body pic above, and i noticed that the ear with the rangefinder attached should come down a little bit, this will make both look a bit more how it should be.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

yeh its like 3 scale inches to high

From
    Brooklyn, NY

Hmmm. I think both of you are correct.

Making adjustments to these tiny details in this small a scale can be a real pain in the rear!

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Well at least you came to the right place for nit pickers to get it perfect seems like you want it to be the best you can make it

From
    Brooklyn, NY

Sigh... I'm tryin', brother. Believe me, I'm tryin'. I sometimes feel like this action figure is really kickin' my ***.

Holly cow! You are very skilled indeed cause that looks great. makes me wanna bust out some xato and carve mine up

From
    Lewis Center, OH

This is absolutely amazing!! I cannot wait to see it finished. It is really too bad we don't have more people like you working at Hasbro!

From
    Clarendon, AR

DarthVeach said: View Post
    This is absolutely amazing!! I cannot wait to see it finished. It is really too bad we don't have more people like you working at Hasbro!
    Agreed. But if they charge close to $6 a figure now, image what that would jump to if they started pumping out figrues of this quality.

From
    Lewis Center, OH

I would pay $10-12 for one definitive Fett figure of this quality any day instead of the 5 or 6 different ones I have bought over the years at $5-7 a piece!

From
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Just seeing this for the first time... all I have to say is WOW!
    This is so incredible!

DarthVeach said: View Post
    I would pay $10-12 for one definitive Fett figure of this quality any day instead of the 5 or 6 different ones I have bought over the years at $5-7 a piece!
    I dont think I would have a problem paying around 50$ for a figure of this detail.

From
    Kamino (also known as Seattle)

Keeps getting better and better! Nice work.

From
    uk

really amazing work bud....