Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Jan 13, 2009, 5:25 PM - New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #1

Hey Guys,

Wanted to show you the new locking mechanism I created for my 2009 gauntlets. The standard Velcro closure design has been driving me nuts for years now like it has for a lot of you I'm sure. In it's place I'm using the smallest center release buckle I could find for the overall closure mechanism. The center release or CR buckles are 1/2" in size and stand only 1/8" tall allowing for a very low profile. Each CR buckle is held in place with metal straps and plug inserts as shown in the photos below. You may notice that the CR buckle in the rear doesn't line up with the one in the front. This is due to the angle of the gauntlet themselves. I had to make an adjustment by lowering the front buckle at the wrist. "No big deal". The new 09" gauntlets will also have this hard resin bottom section as well replacing the previous vacuumed formed versions. I sculpted the new hard bottom sections to look just like the vacuumed versions The vacuumed bottoms were just to unpredictable for my taste in the end. I hope you'll like these new resin versions. They've got excellent strength and there's no fighting about putting them on or removing them because we've gotten rid of the Velcro. I'm also going back to the flat metal hinge design too..I tried a Nylon flexible hinge or what's commonly called a "Living Hinge" but the classic flat metal hinge just looked better so there it is. This new locking design works great and is simple to use. You'll have to remove your flame retardant gloves to feel the center release push tabs when removing the gauntlets but it's a small price to pay when compared to fighting with a Velcro closure. I'll be continuing to make ROTJ version gauntlets with these new upgrades and perhaps some ESB's too..Feel free to drop me a PM if your interested in picking up a set or for further details..Best, Christian
  2. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Jan 13, 2009, 5:43 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #2

wow Christian, that looks great! glad you came up with this, i was getting ready to do the attatchment, and may have to try this method...thanks! would need to find sturdy resin bottom halves somewhere in order to do that...got any ideas?
    Last edited by FettDad; Jan 13, 2009 at 9:33 PM.
    Jan 13, 2009, 8:36 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #3

they look amazing. your stuff is always so innovative. keep it up. Ive been wanting to get a pair of your gauntlets for a while now
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jan 13, 2009, 9:10 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #4

Wow thanks alot Christian....Right when I buy your older gauntlets.... Lol The look awesome, that is a very smart idea.
    Jan 13, 2009, 9:11 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #5

Nice Christian. Looks like a great solution.
  6. 99centTaco is offline 99centTaco
    Jan 13, 2009, 10:20 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #6

Those look really great. It looks like it would be so easy to put on and take off from now on.
  7. Jan 13, 2009, 10:36 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #7

Quote 987654321a said: View Post
    Wow thanks alot Christian....Right when I buy your older gauntlets.... Lol The look awesome, that is a very smart idea.

I second that lol hmmm should I get a new back up pair
  8. Jan 13, 2009, 11:43 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #8

Thanks guys for the good feedback..Holding this new gauntlet, I can't help thinking of how functional it looks and feels now..It wears like a tool. I'll have some more photos tomorrow..Thanks again.
    Jan 14, 2009, 12:56 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #9

dang, i didn't even start on your gauntlets i picked up at the end of last year because i don't know how to close them.

this would have been nice, i like the closure system a lot better, and the resin bottoms over vaccuuforming
    Jan 14, 2009, 10:45 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #10

Excellent system Christian. I can't believe no one's thought of this until now, it just makes so much sense!
  11. Jan 14, 2009, 11:39 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #11

totally trick, love it!
    Jan 14, 2009, 12:07 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #12

Great idea christian ....ill be in touch later with you for a set
  13. Jan 14, 2009, 5:00 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #13

Thanks again for the thumbs-up guys..

I worked on the right gauntlet today..I'm hoping to have pictures up this evening..Keep you posted.
    Jan 14, 2009, 5:02 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #14

Brilliant work as always Christian!

G-Fett
    Jan 14, 2009, 5:21 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #15

Congratulations for their work friend!!!!!!!!!
    Jan 14, 2009, 5:22 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #16

Wow thats a great gaunt!!!

Respect - very good idea with the lock! Where can i buy this buckle locks?

Eric
  17. Jan 14, 2009, 5:32 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #17

PM sent...
    Jan 14, 2009, 5:48 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #18

PM sent!!!!!!!
  19. Jan 15, 2009, 10:10 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #19

Hey Guys,

Here's the right gauntlet..The new locking system will now be a standard item on all future Man of War gauntlets. I love this detail.
    Jan 15, 2009, 11:19 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #20

Quote Man of War Studios said: View Post
    Hey Guys,

Here's the right gauntlet..The new locking system will now be a standard item on all future Man of War gauntlets. I love this detail.
    ...and I'm about 3 months late. I guess I'll have to stick with my Poly lowers. Love my MOW gauntlets just wish I would have waited for these but who knew. Looks awesome Christian.
  21. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 15, 2009, 11:46 PM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #21

Very clever and very cool! I know the costumers out there must be praising your name right now!
  22. formerly Sgt. Skirata Huntman's Avatar
    Jan 16, 2009, 12:47 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #22

now one more reason I need MOW guants to go with my MOW jet pack.
  23. Jan 16, 2009, 8:13 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #23

Thanks again guys..

FettDad brought up a good point to me in a PM.."hinge placement"..I mount the hinges where they're most likely not to get in the way due to the swing action of the bottom sections hitting the flame units on the left gauntlet..This applies to both ROTJ and ESB versions. The right gauntlet however seems flexible to mount the hinge either on the inside or outside of the gauntlet..The photos above of the right gauntlet have the hinge mounted on the outside just under the intake hoses..I'm making another right gauntlet with the hinge placement on the inside of the gauntlet this time. I'll post photos a little later.
    Jan 16, 2009, 9:21 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #24

You drive me NUTZ Christin with all your talent!! How much are the newest models gonna run?
  25. Jan 16, 2009, 9:46 AM - Re: New locking mechanism "Gauntlets" MOW #25

Boomer Fett,

The price is still the same..$350.00 shipped in the US. International orders are $375.00 shipped. ETA: 1-2 weeks from purchase. Hope this helps.