need help, gen knowledge

need help, gen knowledge

hi all, this doesn’t pertain to star wars any but from what I’ve seen on the forum here there is a wealth of knowledge that deals in exactly what I need help with and hope some of you might be able to help me out. I’ve tried sending a few PM's but have not received and responses so I decided to make myself a post. I’m looking to make myself a army of two type helmet, my design doesn’t really look anything like theirs other then general shape but its a good reference to those of you who know what it looks like. alright the thing is I have absolutely no clue where to start, I’m already talented at sculpting with clay and I’m thinking that that will transfer over to this but I don’t know what you guys are using to make these plastic items or if they're even plastic? What are you casting these things out of? How is it done?

From
    Middlesbrough UK

Re: need help, gen knowledge

hi and welcome
    I am pretty new here myself - but guys on here tend to be really friendly.

however, like most forums - people tend to like to know who they are talkin to; so an intro post like u have done above defo improves things!

being a good sculptor helps. I am pretty new to all this "actually making stuff". although the question of how do I make stuff is really difficult to answer cos there loads.

try lookin up the company called smooth-on; they've got a lot introductory vids on some of the basic mold making and casting techniques.

Or u can consider using Fibreglass etc - I myself have started a thread askin how-to go abt this.

Look up the prop workshop and use the search tool.

I am sure more expereinced people will be posting on here eventually.

Good luck man

thanks man ill look that up.
    to all else reading all info is much appreciated

From
    Native of southern California currently in New York

yay, i'm a friendly person
    well, i haven't casted a lot personally but people around here usually cast items in resin or fiberglass. often, if that becomes too costly, vacuforming is usuallly done. it's a process where you take an original sculpt of what you want and form a iece of heated plastic over it with vacuum. never played army of two tho so i wouldn't know where to help ya out on that one

alright most of that went right over my head...so i take the item i wish to recreate, in this case i would make the mast from clay or something then vacuum plastic over it? *is lost*

thanks for the help thought

From
    Native of southern California currently in New York

yeah, the heated plastic is suctioned around your original mold and then you pop the plastic off, trim it and you have a decent copy of what you made out of clay (or similar hard material)
    look it up on google or youtube. you'll find out a lot.
    TDH help me out here. i just want to make sure i'm saying this all right