I've always wanted to build one to add to my mini theater, thinking it wouldn't be nearly as expensive or complicated as my Boba Fett or HIC. I told my wife I could do it for under $150, lets see how it goes.
The body frame is being built with 1/2 schedule 40 pipe. The head is a styrofoam ball from Walmart.
After stepping back I noticed the frame was a bit too wide and a bit too broad at the top of the shoulders. I am using my 3 and 5 years old to get some approximate sizing. I decided to take the top of the shoulders in a bit and pulled about 2" out in the body width.
I am using the same trick for the eyes that I used on my HIC panel. Those 25 cent toy machine dispenser capsules, the small ones. I bought 2, drilled holes on the bottom, and added 2 orange LEDs on a resistor so I could power them with one 9V battery. I then partially filled then with hot glue to help diffuse the light.
I shaped down the head, added the eyes, and placed a toggle switch at the bottom that can be accessed from under the Jawa's cloak. I also wrapped the head in black duck tape.
I bought some real cheap fabric, $2.00 a yard, that I'll wrap the head in. It has a pattern that you can see in front of the eyes that I think looks real good.
I knew the most expensive part would be the bandoliers, I have seen them going easily for over $100.00 each. I am not spending that much, especially since screen accuracy is not something I worry about. I went to my local Army Surplus store and after walking around for about a half hour I found these ammo pouches and straps. I figure I would be able to dye these and use paint to weather / highlight.
I bought 6 pouches, only 4 of which are the same size, and 2 straps. After dying them and touching them up with some acrylic paint, I think I am satisfied (I will still be weathering these with some tan and brown colored paint as well as some black charcoal). I was going to try and lighten them, but after holding them against the fabric I bought for the cloak, I think I like it darker. Any lighter and it would be too close to the fabric for my liking.
For the gun, I am requisitioning my son's Disneyland "Pirates of the Caribbean" pistol. Santa was good this year and he is intrigued by this project, so I don't think he minds.
I disassembled the pistol and removed the electronics.
After removing the electronics I noticed the gun was very light, and by the time I add the PVC pieces, it will be front heavy. So I hot glued a bunch of nuts and bolts into the handle and near the barrel to help balance it. I bought a 5/8" wooden dowel and used left over schedule 40 to build out the barrel.
I bought a few more plumbing fixtures of various different sizes and finished out the barrel. I also took a piece of scrap wood and shaped it so I could add it as a magazine.
The barrel end is just a bit shorter than I would like, but I am about to take a trip to Home Depot / Lowes to see if I can extend it a little. If not, it will have to do. I am also looking to add some other odds and ends to finish out the entire gun.
Although the pistol is something I already had on hand, I need to figure it into the cost. It was about $20.00, and the plumbing fixtures and wooden dowel were another $9.00.
So far here is where I stand on budget:
Pipe and Connectors - $8.00
Head - $10.00
Eye Capsules - $1.00
LEDs and Switch - $8.00
Black Duck Tape - $2.00
Fabric - $2.00
Bandoliers - $32.00
Dye / Paint - $5.00
Pistol - $20.00
Plumbing Fixtures - $9.00