Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 19, 2008, 7:25 PM - My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #1

Well here it is, my latest creation. Briareos from Appleseed. It's ready for molding as you see it, and I'm looking for some final critique. Sculpted out of bondo, apoxie sculpt, great stuff, mdf board, pvc pipe and other things. I'll post pics of the finished helm when I'm done. There will be a light kit of red or green and a clear lense for the center eye to see through. Whatcha think?
    Rusell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bri1.jpg 
Views:	1857 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	27481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bri2.jpg 
Views:	1675 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	27482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bri3.jpg 
Views:	2494 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	27483  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bri6.jpg 
Views:	1722 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	27484  
    Sep 19, 2008, 10:03 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #2

WOW Great work Russ
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 20, 2008, 12:13 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #3

gorgeous mate! been searching web hi and low for ages - and was surprised to find no one had done one?!?!

I have been researching this for a while now myself - and was planning a clay sculpt come Nov. You've also based it on the recent updates ie the appelseed CGI movies rather than the original anime/comics - which is wot my research was on and the look I prefer!

My original plan had been to do a 2-part lid, the face/ear modules; and then a helmet bit; and have the 4 lens bit as a resin cast attaching to the ear mold. I was worried abt the detail being lost whilst molding as a one-piece.

Not that I could do better - but wot abt detailing where the small double lens meets the ear pience anteriorly? Not a huge image - but looked liked it was a little more grooved here

you seemed to have got the subtle curves at the back where the rabbit-ear ball and socket joint meets lid - very nice.

How did u solve problem with the rabbit ears? I was worrired abt weight myself?

soz abt all the comments - its stuff that been bouncing abt my own head for a while. It is truly a gorgeous sculpt, top class. Am I glad someone with skill did it rather than wot would have a poor attempt by a part-time sculptor like myself :P

I waanttsssesss it, I neeeeedddsseesss it....ppprrreeeecccciiiiooooouuusussssseess

Nate

ps u still doing ur cool iron man lids as well ?
    Last edited by Star Wars Chick; Sep 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM. Reason: Language- keep it family friendly.
    Sep 20, 2008, 4:42 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #4

That's incredible! I own this movie! ^_^

El1te
    Sep 20, 2008, 4:49 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #5

I think I love you, looks awesome!! Are you... planning on doing a run?
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 20, 2008, 5:32 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #6

hey man - if u needing "interest" list to consider a run - colour me interested!

pending cost and ability to ship to old blighty ofc

Nate
  7. Sep 20, 2008, 8:55 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #7

Russ. Amazing work yet again! Love it.
    Sep 20, 2008, 10:20 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #8

Thanks all for the compliments. You were right about it being more grooved where the double lenses meets the ear, but I had to cheat it out a little to make sure there was room inside to make it wearable. As far as the weight of the ears, I'll have to see what works best, solid cast or hand lay fiberglass.
    When I've finished the mold and get parts from it, and have a finished piece to show, I'll post an "INTERESTED" thread. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!
    Russell
    Quote Heatshock said: View Post
    gorgeous mate! been searching web hi and low for ages - and was surprised to find no one had done one?!?!

I have been researching this for a while now myself - and was planning a clay sculpt come Nov. You've also based it on the recent updates ie the appelseed CGI movies rather than the original anime/comics - which is wot my research was on and the look I prefer!

My original plan had been to do a 2-part lid, the face/ear modules; and then a helmet bit; and have the 4 lens bit as a resin cast attaching to the ear mold. I was worried abt the detail being lost whilst molding as a one-piece.

Not that I could do better - but wot abt detailing where the small double lens meets the ear pience anteriorly? Not a huge image - but looked liked it was a little more grooved here

you seemed to have got the subtle curves at the back where the rabbit-ear ball and socket joint meets lid - very nice.

How did u solve problem with the rabbit ears? I was worrired abt weight myself?

soz abt all the comments - its stuff that been bouncing abt my own head for a while. It is truly a gorgeous sculpt, top class. Am I glad someone with skill did it rather than wot would have a poor attempt by a part-time sculptor like myself :P

I waanttsssesss it, I neeeeedddsseesss it....ppprrreeeecccciiiiooooouuusussssseess

Nate

ps u still doing ur cool iron man lids as well ?
    Last edited by DangerRuss; Sep 20, 2008 at 4:10 PM.
    Sep 20, 2008, 10:39 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #9

To Heatshock, I still make the Iron Man helmets upon request.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 20, 2008, 12:02 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #10

very nice. pm'd
    definately put me on an interested list. Although I may have to raid my fund for gettin a TE2 finished stormtrooper lid

oh forgot to ask - size wise; is this as small as the iron man helmet? or made for a more generic "big lug"?

Nate
    Last edited by Heatshock; Sep 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM.
    Sep 20, 2008, 1:27 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #11

I don't know the character but my gods... this looks so stunning, your sculpting skills are more then amazing... how do you go about the casting proces now then?
    Sep 20, 2008, 2:12 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #12

As far as size goes, it's much bigger than my Iron Man helmet. Unless you are Andre the Giant you'll probably have no problem. Measurements are; 35" in diameter at center,10 1/2" wide(9" at deep groove in ears), 13" from chin to top, 9" from behind jaw to top,the ears are 15 1/2", and it's 11" from the center eye to back of head.
    As far as molding and casting, as we speak I'm determining my seam lines for the mold, probably two part silicone, and three to four part mother mold. I may be able to cast it as on whole piece through the helmet opening. The ears will be seperate and cast with all-thread and then bolted in place.
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 20, 2008, 2:43 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #13

roger that russ ta for replies. Nah - I got me a standard head, measurements look spot on. Only other Briareos lid I've seen before was the PA one at D-Con.

RBF - if u dont know the character; have a look into either the manga or CGI movies; both are amazing bits of work, DR's work definately fits in well there. Surprised that there wasnt more available for the characters helmet over the years.

I would also like take this opportunity to publically apologise to community and moderators for my language in my 1st post in this thread. No intentional offense was meant. :o Reviewed COC, soaped my mouth and forewarned for next time.

ps Russ - u quoted my remarks in ur reply to me which still containts the offending word right at the start - would u mind editing out for me too pls

Cheers
    Sep 20, 2008, 10:33 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #14

I just watched Appleseed ex machina and wondered if anyone attempted this yet. Nice work. .
  15. Sep 21, 2008, 4:22 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #15

MAN oh MAn!!!!
    Definitely tnterested in this one!
    Sep 21, 2008, 4:38 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #16

That looks awesome! i barely saw the movie today.
    Sep 21, 2008, 11:54 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #17

Russ,

That is awesome bro!!! Very very NICE!
    Sep 21, 2008, 12:25 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #18

So sick!!!
    Sep 21, 2008, 12:30 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #19

Man, that looks sick! Very very nice work! I'd like to see how it all comes together with the lights. Good luck on casting!
  20. Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Sep 21, 2008, 7:53 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #20

Wow, excellent sculpt! I want one. pm or email me when its available. email
    r24kids@hotmail.com
    Sep 22, 2008, 10:07 AM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #21

that sculpt is just amazing. great work
    Sep 22, 2008, 10:17 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #22

Definitely amazing work on your Bri helmet sculpt! It's great to see Appleseed getting some love.

I'm currently in the planning stages of a movie-verse Deunan, so color me really interested if you happen to do a run of this helm!
    Sep 22, 2008, 11:40 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #23

wow fell in with movies and now I want the Hot Toys figure.
    Sep 22, 2008, 11:42 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #24

I'll put you on my list and thanks.
    Deunan huh... Head sculpt, costume or what? I'd love to have one for my Bri. I was considering making a wig for my wife and trying to put costumes together. Her hair style is really cool but not sure how it"ll transilate into actual wig prop.
    Color me interested if you make something wearable, or static bust would be nice too. Hmmnn. let me know what your up to.
    Quote Resilient said: View Post
    Definitely amazing work on your Bri helmet sculpt! It's great to see Appleseed getting some love.

I'm currently in the planning stages of a movie-verse Deunan, so color me really interested if you happen to do a run of this helm!
    Sep 22, 2008, 11:45 PM - Re: My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet #25

I love this toy from Hot Toys. Amazing quality and acuracy. Looking to get thier Iron Man 12" lite up figure.
    Quote SoulAssassin said: View Post
    wow fell in with movies and now I want the Hot Toys figure.