Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 8, 2008, 11:08 AM - Mrgr8ness costume so far #1

I put on the jumpsuit last night to fit the cod piece/kidney armor assembly and knees, to mark out where I need to sew some velcro in to help hold these armor components. Since I was already putting stuff on, I decided to go ahead and suit up with what I have so far. A lot of people are asking how I am doing. I think a lot of folks are wondering if I even have a costume Here it is so far-

Overall I am pretty happy with the first fit. It has taken me 2 years to get to this point. Mostly, because I have a lot of scratchbuilt stuff there, plus I have been very casual with my time spent on it. Also doesn't help that I have re-done a lot of the items at least once already. I am open to critism. Please remember that I threw it on quick without help, so the position of some components are a little off. Plus my camera flash at nighttime has twisted the colors a little. Really not too bad though, mostly in the bells and knees. They came out a little more orange that actual. Here is a better pic of one of the bells in more natural light-

So here is what is left-
    1) jet pack(still is the base colors but no detail stage)
    2) right gauntlet hose(have the hose, just need to weather it and attach to jumpsuit)
    3) shin tools(going to scratchbuild, have the plans but haven't started)

Then it will be time to start upgrading. Already wanting new knees and armor. Starting a new pair of scratchbuilt gloves already. Want to put more detail in the ammo belt. Will be doing new ankle spats that will be more accurate. Will probably do a new helmet eventually. I have a mystery helmet I am working on, but it will likely not become my replacement bucket.
    May 8, 2008, 11:15 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #2

Can you list what is scratchbuilt and what was purchased? Can you also say where you purchased some pieces as well? I'm in the process of buying some parts and making others so I'm interested in that. Your whole setup so far looks great! Thanks.
    May 8, 2008, 11:16 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #3

I gotta say it's amazing.

Quick question though, is your costume based off of the Magic of Myth exhibit? Thats what I'm guessing, as the colors of the gauntlets and cape are obviously ROTJ but the bucket is painted ESB. Is that right?
    And also, can you get 501st approved with that?

Thanks,
    -Pete
    May 8, 2008, 11:28 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #4

Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post

Quick question though, is your costume based off of the Magic of Myth exhibit? Thats what I'm guessing, as the colors of the gauntlets and cape are obviously ROTJ but the bucket is painted ESB. Is that right?

Thanks,
    -Pete
    It is mostly based of the AOSW exhibit, but some pieces are painted toward the MoM exhibit. Knees, shoulder bells, gauntlets are painted more toward MoM, when I started it was going to be a ROTJ version. Most of the rest of the armor is geared toward AOSW. It is basically a SE edition Fett. Yes, it is 501st eligible.
    May 8, 2008, 11:29 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #5

Quote mrgr8ness said: View Post
    It is mostly based of the AOSW exhibit, but some pieces are painted toward the MoM exhibit. Knees, shoulder bells, gauntlets are painted more toward MoM. Most of the rest of the armor is geared toward AOSW. It is basically a SE edition Fett. Yes, it is 501st eligible.
    Ah I see now. Thanks, you're the man!
    May 8, 2008, 11:30 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #6

Thanks,
    -Pete
    this costume is considered the "special edition" fett. esb helmet on rotj armor, et al. since this version has been seen in all three special edition versions of the films it is 501st acceptable, and is the most popular version of the costume. people really seem to love the esb helmet, and the rotj armor has by far the most reference material available out there. but i'm all about full on rotj, no mix'n'match fett, lol. don't believe what they say about rotj fetts kicking puppies, that's just an urban legend .
    May 8, 2008, 11:34 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #7

Thanks,
    -Pete
    501st is that picky now?
    Looks like what the veterans here call Special Edition to me, same look I'm working on.

Looks AWESOME and very accurate

I'm tk25, but wasn't going pick a screen accurate FETT look consider the cost of the outfit I wanted it my way
    Last edited by Mikey Fett; May 8, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
    May 8, 2008, 11:36 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #8

thanks saint_nasty for clearing up my question, I missed your post
    May 8, 2008, 11:36 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #9

Here is a parts list-

flightsuit- skygunbro
    vest- skygunbro
    helmet- MSH1 painted by me
    gauntlets- Ruffkintoys painted by me
    chest armor/ab plate- mrgr8ness painted by me
    collar- mrgr8ness painted by me
    shoulder bells- mrgr8ness painted by me
    backplate- FP ver2 painted by me
    codpiece and kidney- mrgr8ness painted by me
    girthbelt- real mohair dyed by me
    ammo belt- mrgr8ness
    gloves- mrgr8ness
    braids- mrgr8ness
    knees- Ruffkintoys painted by me
    spats- skygunbro
    boots- CA boots weathered by Spideyfett
    toe spikes- mrgr8ness
    side pouches- mrgr8ness
    cape- army half shelter
    blaster- TD4242 painted by me
    neckseal- TK409
    May 8, 2008, 11:39 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #10

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    this costume is considered the "special edition" fett. esb helmet on rotj armor, et al. since this version has been seen in all three special edition versions of the films it is 501st acceptable, and is the most popular version of the costume. people really seem to love the esb helmet, and the rotj armor has by far the most reference material available out there. but i'm all about full on rotj, no mix'n'match fett, lol. don't believe what they say about rotj fetts kicking puppies, that's just an urban legend .

Thanks a ton for clearing that up for me as well. That last sentence made me hit the floor laughing, quotable material right there.
    All you guys are awesome. Thanks to you all!
    May 8, 2008, 12:07 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #11

I think it's all coming together extremely well. I think it looks wonderful and you have to be pleased !! Well done !!
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    May 8, 2008, 12:39 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #12

Great looking suit! It's coming along very nicely. I would suggest moving the knees down just a bit. Very good work.
    May 8, 2008, 12:40 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #13

Very impressive bro... that lid looks awesome!
    May 8, 2008, 12:43 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #14

Just noticed: The shoulder bells look a tad too low. Move them up a bit maybe? I'm no expert really, so I don't know for sure how they ought to be.

Perhaps it's just a result of putting everything on by yourself without any help.
  15. May 8, 2008, 12:52 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #15

Looking awesome!
    May 8, 2008, 1:01 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #16

Very nice...even though its not ESB

get that rockepack done!
    May 8, 2008, 1:35 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #17

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    don't believe what they say about rotj fetts kicking puppies, that's just an urban legend .
    yeah. legend.

*walks slowly away from the puppy*
  18. Wes is offline Wes
    May 8, 2008, 2:40 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #18

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    yeah. legend.

*walks slowly away from the puppy*
    We prefer kittens

Nice suit MR!
  19. Admin Staff obi sean kenobi's Avatar
    May 8, 2008, 2:40 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #19

Really great work man!!
    Looks awesome! Especially that first pic!
    Sean
    Last edited by obi sean kenobi; May 8, 2008 at 3:35 PM.
    May 8, 2008, 3:30 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #20

Awesome!
  21. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 9, 2008, 10:37 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #21

Looking good nic..
    May 9, 2008, 2:23 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #22

Suit looks fantastic! I really like it considering you have some of the same parts I do.

I have to give you credit for you painting skills. VERY impressive! I love that close up of the shoulder bell and Sean's right, that first pic ROCKS!
    May 9, 2008, 2:33 PM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #23

Awesome looking Fett there mate!
    May 16, 2008, 10:01 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #24

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I love the first pic myself with no flash. I would try to photoshop it with a different background it I knew photoshop at all. The cool thing is now I can put by pic side by side with the AOSW ref pics and compare and contrast. So now, I can criticize myself Overall I like most of my colors. My armor is self built sintra, that overall looks decent, but the shapes are not perfect. I will be upgrading eventually. I did notice that my chest and ab plate seem to have too much curvature to them, when they should sit flater and not conform to the body quite as much. I will be fixing that this weekend.

On a side note, I have much more appreciation for you guys that troop a lot in these things. A 15 minute quick suit up and snap a few pictures, and I already put a ding in one of my gauntlets that I had to repair and touch up a little, and I ripped a stitch in my flightsuit. I can just imagine what you troopers go through. You must have to make small repairs after every outing.
    May 16, 2008, 11:04 AM - Re: Mrgr8ness costume so far #25

Quote mrgr8ness said: View Post
    I did notice that my chest and ab plate seem to have too much curvature to them, when they should sit flater and not conform to the body quite as much. I will be fixing that this weekend.
    you know you have the accuracy bug when you say things like "this fits too well, it should look more awkward"

I can just imagine what you troopers go through. You must have to make small repairs after every outing.
    yup. after every event i run through and look for things that need fixing, and eventually you just end up repainting it all.