Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 21, 2008, 6:17 PM - KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #1

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starw...ublic-revealed

I hate MMOs. They should have just made KOTOR 3.
    Oct 21, 2008, 6:30 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #2

I totally agree with you. I loved KOTOR and the sequel(not as much as the 1st) but I'm not an MMO type of guy.
    Oct 21, 2008, 6:38 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #3

Gee. just another game that requires a monthly bill.
    Yeah, I agree they should have just made a KOTOR 3.
    Oct 21, 2008, 8:23 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #4

Please excuse the ignorance of this question as I haven't been into games for nearly 10 years as my last purchase was X-Wing Alliance for the PC....with that in mind, what is an "MMO"?????
    Oct 21, 2008, 8:27 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #5

DL44 Blaster said: View Post
    Please excuse the ignorance of this question as I haven't been into games for nearly 10 years as my last purchase was X-Wing Alliance for the PC....with that in mind, what is an "MMO"?????

Massive Multiplayer Online.
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Oct 21, 2008, 8:31 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #6

heh.... should be interesting ... although it will have to be rly good to get me to drop WoW
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 21, 2008, 9:04 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #7

pizzaman24 said: View Post
    heh.... should be interesting ... although it will have to be rly good to get me to drop WoW
    I hope it kills WoW, then Blizzard might actually make a WarCraft IV. A game that doesn't suck.
    Oct 21, 2008, 9:19 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #8

Warcraft will always be an RTS to me. I love the original warcraft games.
    Oct 21, 2008, 9:42 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #9

I hate MMO's as well.

*checks above posts to see what MMO is*

Ya....I hate MMO's as well. I hate KOTOR actualy though too....So its like...double hate. Don't hurt me!
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Oct 21, 2008, 9:43 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #10

I worry when I see concept shots of jedi in what looks to be mando armor. *sigh*
    Oct 21, 2008, 9:48 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #11

That's disappointing. I was looking forward to a regular KOTOR 3 RPG.
  12. formerly Sgt. Skirata Huntman's Avatar
    Oct 21, 2008, 10:02 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #12

Uh WHAT!!!! I want Kotor 3 the RPG not some moneygrubbing,pay bythemonth MMO. Loved the first two. But If I want to role-play with other people Then I will invite them over to my house. That way i am sure the 8 year old will watch his mouth and behave with manners because acting like a jerk in person has repercussions.

First no force unleashed for the PC

Now the PC game is an MMO

wake me up when they make something the fans HAVE been asking for. Have they just stopped listening to the fans or what?

What a let down
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 21, 2008, 10:24 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #13

NovallTalon said: View Post
    I worry when I see concept shots of jedi in what looks to be mando armor. *sigh*
    I hate how people mix those two together. Sugar works with tea, honey works with tea, but tartar sauce doesn't.
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Oct 21, 2008, 11:28 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #14

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I hope it kills WoW, then Blizzard might actually make a WarCraft IV. A game that doesn't suck.
    must...resist....urge....to......feed.....troll... ...
  15. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Oct 22, 2008, 12:11 AM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #15

pizzaman24 said: View Post
    must...resist....urge....to......feed.....troll... ...
    Why even post that?

Anywho, I didn't like KOTOR that much, I was young and didn't have the patience. MMO's I don't like, I feel that if I already BUY the game, I shouldn't have to PAY to PLAY the game I already BOUGHT.
    Oct 22, 2008, 1:32 AM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #16

hurray another SW mmo just whats needed so they can screw that up like thet did star wars galaxies,a game that was supposed to be really good,but hey things dont have to make sense lol they really should have just made it an rpg its more interesting that way ,besides i want to know what the hell has revan been up too!!!!! i agree with Sgt Skirata,they just arent listening any more,i wanted a bounty hunter2 game maybe with boba fett this time ,i know it doesnt sound exactly wonderful but itd be kool as hell! i always wanted to play the mission that led to Vader telling Boba "no disintegraqtions" everytime he sees him ^.^
    Oct 22, 2008, 2:09 AM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #17

I have to say I'm not surprised that they went for an MMO. The business model is just too tempting. I think the most dissapointing thing is the art style. It looks like someone decided that if they marry the Star Wars universe with elements of the WOW art style, they'll have a winner. Luckily, it's early enough in development that the art style will evolve. The question is, did they learn anything from the debacle that was Star Wars Online . . .

HH
    Oct 22, 2008, 10:03 AM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #18

I have to say I am really excited about it. It's the announcement I had been waiting for since i first be Sith Lords when it came out a few years ago.
    I never got into MMOs previously, because I feel that If I pay to own the game, I shouldn't have to continue to pay just to keep playing it.
    I wanted to get into SWG but unfortunately didn't catch wind of it until after SOE nerfed it.
    But looking at BioWare's track record (NeverWinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, etc.) I am confident that I won't be disappointed. They know darn well that anything with the name Star Wars will be eaten up, so they are bound to make loads of money. And I too hope it will be the WoW-killer.
    Then again, they did just announce it, and it's in pre-alpha stages currently, so the development process is barely getting started; way too soon to make any judgments on it.
  19. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Oct 22, 2008, 5:43 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #19

The Clayster said: View Post
    Why even post that?

Anywho, I didn't like KOTOR that much, I was young and didn't have the patience. MMO's I don't like, I feel that if I already BUY the game, I shouldn't have to PAY to PLAY the game I already BOUGHT.

Personally, I enjoy MMOs, and have no issue paying $15 a month. In that given month, I can easily get over 100 hours time in if I really wanted to. The majority of games people spend $60 on only have about 20hours of gameplay, and that is being very generous. That alone is more than enough reason in my opinion to play. And really, when compared to going to the movies (which is $10 for a ticket then whatev u buy) isn't that bad at all.

If someone doesn't like that gameplay, then fine.... but if the only thing holding you back is the monthly fee, take what I said into consideration. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this will be a great MMO.

Side note: before the SWG gameplay changes, what did people think of the talent trees etc
  20. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 22, 2008, 7:31 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #20

I'd rather troll than be a sheep, but anyways.

Paying $15 a month for a game you drop $50 on is ridiculous, and to top it off, a new expansion pack comes out every half a year which is worth $30. You end up paying $300 your first year just for the game.

The other reason I hate MMOs is that they are multiplayer. Nothing is worse than having a bunch of noobs running around trying to be "cool." Next thing you know, you kill some 14 year old, and then you get flamed to death. I used to be ranked in the top 300 on Warcraft 3 and the top 100 in Command and Conquer, believe me, online games are nothing but trouble.
    Oct 22, 2008, 7:49 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #21

The story leaves interesting questions. However, I'm still disappointed about it being an MMO.

http://www.swtor.com/info/story/setting

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.
    Oct 23, 2008, 5:12 AM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #22

I'm not surprised the force unleashed wasn't released for the pc... with everyone being able to download games and stuff, the money needs to come from some place. I'm sure it will be on the pc, but only after the console versions cashed in enough for Lucas to take another holiday.
    Same as Capcom's: no, resident evil 4 will never be on the playstation 2... it's a Cube only game... wait... there's even a wii version now...

Anywho, MMO... same story.... copies of games lose their value with all thw download services available... for roughly 9 euro's per month you have acces to just about every movie, game, cd out there, why even bother to buy a copy? (seriously... I buy official copies, because especially with series like STAR WARS I want to complete the collection) These monthly pay up's is what gives them their money...

Even if the game is cool and all... I just refuse to pay something for it every month. Same reason why I've never gotten myself an XBOX live account... I mean... common... PS3 online gaming is free...

here's hoping this game will be free of charge after purchase too, on the PS3... then I might buy it.
  23. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Oct 23, 2008, 1:04 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #23

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I'd rather troll than be a sheep, but anyways.

Paying $15 a month for a game you drop $50 on is ridiculous, and to top it off, a new expansion pack comes out every half a year which is worth $30. You end up paying $300 your first year just for the game.

The other reason I hate MMOs is that they are multiplayer. Nothing is worse than having a bunch of noobs running around trying to be "cool." Next thing you know, you kill some 14 year old, and then you get flamed to death. I used to be ranked in the top 300 on Warcraft 3 and the top 100 in Command and Conquer, believe me, online games are nothing but trouble.

Ah, it all comes together. You don't like multiplayer games because a sour taste was left in your mouth from having to interact with people. If it is any concellation, the online community doesn't like the pretencious, angry crowd anyway. Have fun paying $60 for 13 hours of gameplay, I'll stick to social gameplay
    Oct 23, 2008, 1:22 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #24

Heh, $15 a month isn't bad, Ok so you spend $50 on the game, and then $15 a month afterwards... how much do you usually pay for a game? $40-$60? And how much gameplay do you get out of it? Depends on the game I suppose but games like Assassin's Creed or Halo takes a couple days to beat it then you're done (unless you play online but I don't hear people whine about xbox live accounts). $15 a month to continue to play a game with thousands of people for as long as you want isn't bad considering the patch content found in them and the interaction with other people. People will spend $60 on a game that they may play through twice for a total of a week's worth of gameplay, when you can pay $60+15 for two months of continuous gameplay (first month is usually free). I've also had so many free months with things from blizzard. I think it's a personal preference but people who say WoW is a bad game confuse me... yeah everyone has their opinion and you may not like it, but something has to make it one of the biggest AAA titles of all time. As far as this new KOTOR MMO, I think it will be interesting. Nobody likes to pay a monthly fee for anything but if you really break it down, the content you get is neverending and you play with your friends!

If it rocks hardcore, we should all get into it and start a TDH guild haha.

El1te
    Oct 23, 2008, 2:08 PM - Re: KOTOR MMO Official Announced. #25

Yes, the justification for the price is warranted by the fun had, and the hours of gameplay it provides. In the case of this new KOTOR MMO, it would be worth it for me.

And in my experience, the subscription to Live is worth it, for the fact the implementation of it's online interface and stability is superior to the PSN.
    Sure, most PS3 games support up to 24, 32, and some 64 players in a match (opposed to the max 16 on most Live titles) but that is big enough for every PSN user worldwide to play in the same server. (lol, not really)
    I've found it hard to find enough ppl to play with to fill one match, and the general consensus seems to be "It is free because it sucks." It IS getting better though.

Someone annoys me, I either mute them, vote to boot, or find a different server. Play with a close group of friends that share your gameplay style and have similar social tendencies as you, and the prepubescent morons don't last long in your match/party.

TehEl1te said: View Post
    If it rocks hardcore, we should all get into it and start a TDH guild haha.
    I'm down! What would it be called? And would we be Jedi, or Sith? haha