Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 11, 2008, 10:33 AM - jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #1

Thought I'd bring this to everyones attention, it was brought to mine on therpf. I sold one of my iron man helmets to this guy, personally handed it to him, he said he was going to change it up to be used on one of his other robot costumes. He also promised not to recast it. Well it looks as if he went into production on my piece, who knows how many he made but now he is selling them on e-bay INCLUDING the production mold he made of my piece. I find this offensive and very unproffessional. I don't mind if he wants to sell the one he bought. Don't mind if he wants to change it or resize it, but to out and out copy it, do a run, and ty to sell the mold and get others to recast my peice is down right low. Hope my words aren't too harsh, I feel alot more strongly. What do you think?
    The auctions were taken down but he put then right back up.
    Oct 11, 2008, 10:40 AM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #2

Your words are far from harsh. Recasters like this are scum. Made all the worse when you meet him and he gives you his word on something. Somehow seems easier if it's some anonymous jerk...
    Last edited by Bubba Fett; Oct 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
    Oct 11, 2008, 10:50 AM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #3

Nothing a good pop in the snot locker can't fix! A thief is bad enough but one who shakes your hand is the worst!
    Oct 11, 2008, 11:17 AM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching
    Here is the e-bay listing for the mold
    Oct 11, 2008, 11:28 AM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #5

I say you should slice off his hand, freeze him in carbonite, and THROW HIM INTO THE CORE OF THE DEATH STAR!
    Oct 11, 2008, 11:33 AM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #6

how hard would it be to have your paypal attatched through an amex card? dispute it once you buy it back. shady but huge possibility that it'll work. the guy wont get his money and you got the mold. I'm sure he'll make more molds though.
    Oct 11, 2008, 11:43 AM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #7

in a word SCUM.

I have just sent him a mesage asking to see the original helmet prior to casting. I'm just curious to see what he says
    Oct 11, 2008, 12:08 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #8

Take him to court and sue him. A verbal agreement is the same as a written contract. I think you vendors should start listing in your email/pm responses when someone orders something from you "By ordering and paying for this product I understand and agree that I will not create a mold or recast this product without the written permission of the creator of this piece." That way at least when they do this they can have that little bit of fear you will sue them. And you should. It's a shame it even comes to this, but at least you can have a recourse.
    Oct 11, 2008, 12:31 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #9

Quote tk9950 said: View Post
    "By ordering and paying for this product I understand and agree that I will not create a mold or recast this product without the written permission of the creator of this piece."

I agree with that. It'd be like adding a clause to the purchase contract. Hitting "send money" is the same as signing your name. So in the event of breach of contract, you have got yourself covered.
    Oct 11, 2008, 12:35 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #10

Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    I agree with that. It'd be like adding a clause to the purchase contract. Hitting "send money" is the same as signing your name. So in the event of breach of contract, you have got yourself covered.

Exactly!!!
    Oct 11, 2008, 12:46 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #11

sent him a message on ebay rousting this SOB out. you should sue him. the only problem is that its a iron man mask & the rights might get in the way. hey you could point it out to the guys that own the rights and they can have at him.
    Oct 11, 2008, 12:48 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #12

After replying I got to thinking I am not too sure how well a lawsuit would hold up since you are selling a sculpt of a product that is copyrighted. Dang it!
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Oct 11, 2008, 1:11 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #13

What a jacktard. I second the pop in the snot locker idea...
  14. Member Since
    May 2008
    Oct 11, 2008, 1:26 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #14

Wonder how nicely he'd react when he opens the door to half a dozen guys in full Mando armour... :P Seriously though, what a dick. The idea of putting a note on every sale you make that they can't recast is a very good idea.
    Oct 11, 2008, 1:54 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #15

Quote NovallTalon said: View Post
    jacktard.

That is my new word of the year!

Or even better "What a Jacktard-alope"
    Oct 11, 2008, 2:26 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #16

That is pretty frustrating... >_< Is he a member of these boards??

El1te
    Oct 11, 2008, 2:42 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #17

Quote Runtman said: View Post
    The idea of putting a note on every sale you make that they can't recast is a very good idea.
    I seriously think that should be added to every single sale of anything. It should at least be thrown out there through PMs while arranging a deal. At least to not pass it off as you own.

It'd be no different than the End User License Agreement on a PC game. By clicking yes I agree, you get to play the game. If you don't agree, you can't play. If you agree just so you can play and then break the rules, you suffer the consequences.

Somebody should make a vendor announcement.
    Oct 11, 2008, 4:33 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #18

Would it help if some of us reported him? I just looked to see if I could do it, but I wasn't sure how to go about it.
    Oct 11, 2008, 5:26 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #19

Too bad it's seller's discretion on eBay now whether a questions is added to the item description. In the old days, I think we could have bombarded him with "Isn't this a recast?" "Didn't you copy someone else's work?", etc. without the seller having recourse to making them invisible.....
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Oct 11, 2008, 5:35 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #20

hey Russ - soz to hear this happen to you man.
    even though I am not a maker myself - I have rather strong views on recasting, even more so for this kind.
    It is just wrong. Even from a personal-ethics point of view - its a new kinda low.

I want that lid - and I definately know where I will be gettin mine mate.

Nate
  21. Oct 11, 2008, 6:26 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #21

just a thought maybe make up fake ebay accounts and keep bidding on the helmets so he cant make a sale?

just thought i would throw in a plan from the darkside
    Oct 11, 2008, 6:49 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #22

DangerRuss, I highly recommend you contact Skygunbro with this guy's actions and personal information, so he can submit it to the AC (Armorer Coalition) who specialize in dealing with recasters. It's amazing to see how quickly they can get the word out by the hundreds about this creep!
    Last edited by Cruzer; Oct 11, 2008 at 7:04 PM.
    Oct 11, 2008, 8:20 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #23

Thanks guys, for all the support. Update for you. I contacted him to gently remind him of our agreement, and , well he won't pull the auction and even offered to sell the mold to me with first dibs! Outrageous! Says he is not selling castings. Although that mold looks used.
    He said he could care less of my on-line friends, and their views on the matter. Well, if he does sell the mold he would only profit about $200 assuming he spent up to $300 in silicone, Is that worth getting this kind of rep? Plus whoever buys it assumes it's his art, only to find out later and wonder why people won't buy from him.
    I know this isn't my character, but I did sculpt this. Did any of you get Lucas' permision when you made your fan-made Fetts?
  24. Oct 11, 2008, 9:22 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #24

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    DangerRuss, I highly recommend you contact Skygunbro with this guy's actions and personal information, so he can submit it to the AC (Armorer Coalition) who specialize in dealing with recasters. It's amazing to see how quickly they can get the word out by the hundreds about this creep!
    I second this. They are very good about dealing with and getting the word out about re-casters. He would also be blacklisted and it would make it so he can't buy any more props/molds from other makers on the boards. Sorry to hear about this.

Aloha, and try to have a good day.

Chris
    Oct 11, 2008, 9:42 PM - Re: jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man #25

DangerRuss. It's a matter of principle. You did an amazing sculpt of this, made a few casts of it, and he is taking credit for YOUR WORK!! That is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Dude. You are an incredible sculptor to be able to create something like that!! You are an artist!!! You want someone to steal your art?