introduction posts - do you think its polite to still do it?

From
    Middlesbrough UK

introduction posts - do you think its polite to still do it?

Ok maybe I am gettin older and more cranky.... but is there a rise in people just posting nowadays w/o reading some basic information, using a search button and doing a quick introduction post?

its not just TDH, its in lots of other forums too.

I guess theres nothing intrinsically wrong with it, and I never have a hissy fit about it with new members, although I do put a polite - "pls consider posting here" after a quick reminder.

I mean I do NOT advocate being rude to anyone, but thats why I was in complete support of the Dented Ones "cooling off period" for new registrants ie minimum posts requirements, only being allowed to start new posts in certain sub-forums, no access to Cargo Hold.

But I do hate how some (not all nor the majority) of people come here, and just use it w/o some contribution to the community as a whole.

rant over.

Nate
    Last edited by Heatshock; Jul 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM.

From
    Waltham, MA

Re: introduction posts - do you think its polite to still do it?

i actually find the intro posts sorta useless. i may be a horrible jerk, but i don't even read them.

i figure that once someone starts interacting with the group through the various topics, that's all the intro i need to see.

hearing "hi, i'm new" over and over doesn't help anything much

From
    Middlesbrough UK

by the same token though brian - I do not like seein people appear, ask a few WTB questions as the 1st form of interaction with the community, with out so much as a "hi - I am so and so etc"

I dont mind helping people out, but I dont want to be treated like an info booth in a shoppin mall

also it also helps I feel from the point of view of you know what the guy/gal is aiming for costuming wise eg 501 entry, for fun, budget build

and knowin where someone is from helps when tryin to give advice - I know a large marjority are american on these boards, but there are also a number of people from else where and not all teh terms are inter changeable

do I read all the intro threads? nah of course I dont. What do I check out on someone asking me info? their profile then their intro thread.

like I said - you dont join a group and begin with - what can I get from you and everyone else? you start by saying hello my name is.....

but like I said - maybe I am being a cantankerous fool

formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    From
    Manchester, England

I am with Brian here. I do post them for what they are worth and as a common courtesy - manners cost nothing and all that, but rarely do I read them..........unless their user name in naked babe or Mando groupie, or.........well you get the idea

One thing I do dislike on other boards are pointless threads that members use to increase their post count but offer no contribution at all.....like word association threads and the like.

......but I just get on with life.

From
    Middlesbrough UK

Bobby Fett UK said: View Post
    I am with Brian here. I do post them for what they are worth and as a common courtesy - manners cost nothing and all that, but rarely do I read them......
    but thats what I mean - seldom do I read em too, but I do post on what ever forum I join.

the question isnt do you read em? but is it just the polite thing to do?

Am I old fashioned in thinking that forums are kinda like social gatherings in real life - you dont start a conversation with someone new with - "hi where can I buy this or that", you lead into it with "hi my name is xxxx, wow thats a nice bit of kit where did you get it?"

but hey ho, I also type in full sentences and with grammar. even on text messages!

From
    Waltham, MA

it's an interesting thought... we ask that people post them, yet so far mostly admit to not reading them

i think some sort of intro thing would be good, but i don't know if what we're doing now makes sense.

i'm also not sure of a better way.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

I also go back to a persons profile and see some of their posts to get an idea of who the person is, where they are from etc. Sometimes that takes me back to an intro thread, sometimes not.

Is this a case of "if it ain't broke so why fix it", or a case of "it's not utilized so why keep it"?

I'm also not sure of a better way.

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

I feel kind of bad that I don't really actually contribute anything back into these wonderful forums. The reason for that is simple though; I have pretty much no skills whatsoever regarding to working with tools and paint and the like to actually build myself a set of armor. The extent of my skills pretty much only goes into drawing. I'm pretty decent in that respect, but when it comes to doing what a lot of you guys do, I just can't compare.

From
    Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Useless. I found that the only way to connect with people was to start building something. Once you are covered in PVC snow, overspray, and bondo....people on the forums start to open up. Then all you have to do
    is take an interest in whats going on at your table at cons and 'tada'.
    Intro threads.....waste of bandwidth. my .02
    Mike

I think that the first post is right of passage for all the newbies. While i remember the grand old days where you could lurk your way through the first build. Then came the Mando-tory post count for acess to certin threads. So I had to make my intro post. I will admit that I read them for a while after I made my intro post. Now not so much. BUTTT the whole point of making people post it participation. It adds to the sense of community. We are a community. We are also a place where you can find all the critical tools for your star wars costumes.

Do you think that the home page is calling all of us tools? Because the biggest reasource on this sight is the experieance of those of you who have acomplished so much in the costume and prop building arena. Sure I can tell kids where to find cheap sintra, or that Wizard of Flight is the man to go to for Mando bucket and armor templates, or Skip is the man when it comes to Papruka Files.

I learned all this by reading the posts and asking you guys. Ohh Dont forget Ant Mans Scratch builds!

My rambling point is... We all have to start some where and the "This is me, Tell me where to find what I need post" is a good place to start.

From
    San Diego, CA

I'm with miqt, and yet at the same time, I understand all the other points of view.

I mean, I got 1 post n response to my intro thread, now that could be that I posted it in the wrong thread, :P, but still, I have been looking at and lurking on these forums for a good year or year and a half before ACTUALLY joining. Still, when you have something to share, then you are more likely to be accepted quicker. My .02 as well.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Hello, my name is Art. I like Boba Fett. Can someone here build one like the one in the movie? I have $150 to spend... and there is an extra $20 in it if you include the thing on his back. Please send me a letter (I don't have email... too confusing) if you are interested in making some money!

From
    San Diego, CA

haha Very funy Art, I ws roling on the floor lafing haha!!!

The thing I find really annoying are posts with bad spelling.

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

Tel mi abot it. That gits two mi as wel.

Sorry, had to do it.

From
    San Diego, CA

I am seriously trying not to burst out laughing!!!

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

Glad I get to do at least something around here.

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

I feel that Introductions should be optional. If a person wants to truly dive in, then I would think that person would want to introduce themselves to the community at large, and start developing relationships to achieve the end goal. Others may choose to simply intregrate themselves slowly, as to learn the lingo and terms and customs of the forum, and thats fine too.

From
    San Antonio Texas

Oh goodness I needed this

From
    San Diego, CA

I've never had a problem with people posting even if the question has already been answered. Everyone is a little different about it. Actually what irritates me more (no one here, I'm just saying) is when people make a point to harshly call people out about searching and all that. I mean, some people get really rude filling in for moderators, sticking their chests out with high post counts.

Everyone starts somewhere. It is a good habit to try to search first, but sometimes refreshening even a beat to death topic can add a new angle and gives someone else a chance to share their knowledge. Also, it just gives people a chance to talk with each other and be social rather than just being a wiki type database.

Active forums are a good thing.

Cheers.

When I first came on as skirata. I came here because there were LOTs of prevalant scratch build threads. As I have helped several people build their 501st costumes lately the bar has been raised sooo high, that scratch build has seemed to not be good enough anymore.
    If that is the case....what are they looking for but the people who are selling the parts that are good enough to get them in???
    from whaT i have seen ( and this is just my opinion) TDH is starting to get the rep as a vendor board. If that is the case what is there to search for? WTB and the vendor respond. look up how to alter or paint something AFTER you have it and tada.. awesome costume that gets me in.

From
    The Cold Widwest

I only read the intro posts that the ladies fill out.....Sorry, but you dudes just don't intrest me as much.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Huntman said: View Post
    When I first came on as skirata. I came here because there were LOTs of prevalant scratch build threads. As I have helped several people build their 501st costumes lately the bar has been raised sooo high, that scratch build has seemed to not be good enough anymore.
    If that is the case....what are they looking for but the people who are selling the parts that are good enough to get them in???
    from whaT i have seen ( and this is just my opinion) TDH is starting to get the rep as a vendor board. If that is the case what is there to search for? WTB and the vendor respond. look up how to alter or paint something AFTER you have it and tada.. awesome costume that gets me in.
    Lots and lots to comment on from this post.

First, I always think that raising the bar is a good thing. The entire purpose of creating TDH was to raise the bar for Fett costumes. My initial thought in regard to the 501st raising the bar as well is that it is about time, but upon further reflection, I have to consider that the 501st is primarily a social club with accuracy of costumes being a secondary concern, so I am not sure how high the bar should be raised as charity work doesn't concern itself with whether or not your knee armor is the right shade of orange.

In regard to buying your costume vs making your costume, I believe a number of issues must be looked at.

First, I believe the economy over the past few years has allowed people the freedom to buy instead of build. I believe as the economy continues to deteriorate, we will see more and more people going back to building vs buying.

Second, while some consider the prices that sellers charge outrageous, for the most part, prices are VERY reasonable and it is difficult to justify making your own when you can simply purchase a part at such a relatively low price.

Last of all, I think there has been a general decline in the confidence of builders when the work of certain sellers is continually lauded as the pinnacle of perfection. I don't want to pick on anyone, but at Comic Con this year, one of our members approached me to look at his armor. He had done a great job! It needed some fine tuning and a little rework, but he was well on his way to having a set of chest armor that would rival any set that could be bought today. However, when we finished going over the corrections that needed to be made, he said he would probably just sell that armor as is, and buy a set from a well known vendor. The impression I got was that he almost felt bad or "cheap" for making his own armor instead of buying it. That really makes me sad because this guy had some serious talent to get his armor where it was (I could have never done what he did) and I couldn't help but feel that the board was partly responsible for making people like him feel guilty for making their own instead of purchasing armor.

On the flip side, some people seem to think buying is a bad thing and I couldn't disagree more. As an individual, what are the chances of you being able to get your own machined ears or blaster based on an original Webley? The board is a great resource for that, because it brings together people from different backgrounds with different skillsets that can provide the community with quality pieces it wouldn't otherwise have.

I think going to more and more buying is only a natural progression, but there is nothing wrong with it as long as room and respect are still given for those who choose to build. I think sometimes the difference is a matter of quality and whether buyer or builder, we should all be striving for perfection in what we do.

From
    Waltham, MA

Lots of interesting points coming up in here, along with some good humor

On the note of buying vs. building, I hope to see more building. I've sort of come around to that myself.

Over my first 5 years in the 501st, I EASILY spent $15K on costumes. I bought everything in sight... I've owned an MS1, MS3, MSH2, HS Aluminum, Mystery helmet, MR, etc... But lately I've been having WAY more fun making it myself.

I eventually want to replace all of the parts of my Fett suit that aren't found items with my own scratch built parts. It will be something to keep me interested, and I think having Fett armor that I made myself will be neat.

But the idea that TDH is all about the buying is interesting. Maybe we should focus some effort on the building side? Try to promote that a bit more?

I bet we could assemble some awesome scratch build threads into a "make your own Fett" wiki article.

From
    Spain

I'm actually making my own flightsuit, and I haven't made a thing ever I really love the Research part of the R&D (Research & Development)

From
    San Diego, CA

KaanE said: View Post
    I'm actually making my own flightsuit, and I haven't made a thing ever I really love the Research part of the R&D (Research & Development)
    I'm with you on that one buddy!!! :P