Industrial Light & Magic Job

From
    Mansfield, TX

Industrial Light & Magic Job

Considering that this is a Star Wars-related forum and all, are there any ILM employees that could give me some info regarding that specific line of work.

I'm interested in the Model Maker area and was just hoping that someone might have some information regarding the degrees you got and how the whole experience panned out.

Feedback is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

From
    Australia

Re: Industrial Light & Magic Job

Well I can't say my name obviously, so just call me George L... No that's too obvious... G Lucas.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Ah man, Ive been wanting to get a position at skywaker sound for the longest time. I asked about it through their site, but never recieved a response....

-tubachris

I wish... I was out in San Fran a year or so ago, and I was SO tempted to try to get an interview in their IT department for something... anything...

But it wasn't meant to be

I thought ILM was phasing out the physical modeling division in favor of pure CGI?

From
    Pottsville PA

ILM did indeed sell off their models division. They no longer do any physical models. The new owner is actually one of the original Lucas employees.

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/06/1...t-of-ilm-sold/

A friend of mine just left ILM to work for 'a band apart', he said the turn over rate isn't very high, most people stay there for an extended period of time before moving on. Good Luck in any case.

-x
    Last edited by eighteendelta; Jul 11, 2007 at 1:38 PM.

From
    Mansfield, TX

Wow. Thanks for the info guys. I had no idea that the model division had been sold.

ya i have 1 more year to go in college before i can apply for an internship in the animation department during the summer. hope i get the internship.

From
    Mansfield, TX

dfett, what are you majoring in?

computer graphic and design concentration in 3D animation.

From
    Mansfield, TX

thanks!

From
    Chicagoland

You'll have an easier time getting a job with the FBI

From
    Richmond, KY

I'm not sure about everybody else, but I kind of hope there isn't anybody here from ILM. I would hate to be ratted out to LFL and have C&D orders floating down

drokkul said: View Post
    I'm not sure about everybody else, but I kind of hope there isn't anybody here from ILM. I would hate to be ratted out to LFL and have C&D orders floating down
    the folks from ILM that i've met would probably be more interested in helping us out than getting us smacked down!

From
    Pottsville PA

LFL does monitor this site, but they support fans who make their own costumes, it's the people who try to profit off the franchise they gang tackle. The ILM folks don't really concern themselves with the legal aspects. They don't have times. My buddy was working stupid weekly hours when he was there. Masi Oka used to work for ILM, the 'Heroes' fans should know who that is.

-x

From
    Mansfield, TX

pennywise said: View Post
    You'll have an easier time getting a job with the FBI
    Do you think its THAT competitive? Is it just too unrealistic to have this occupation as an aspiration?

From
    Pottsville PA

I think if you have the skills/aspiration you will do fine. Apply and keep building up your marketable skills. They have a fairly large staff so even though the turn over rate isn't high, they still do turn over some jobs and create new ones every day. Good luck and I wish you well with your choice.

-x

Kashyyyk4ABY said: View Post
    Do you think its THAT competitive? Is it just too unrealistic to have this occupation as an aspiration?
    i think that it's doable, but it's certainly aiming high. you don't get much higher up in the food chain than ILM

From
    Mansfield, TX

Thanks eighteendelta!

tk7602 said: View Post
    I wish... I was out in San Fran a year or so ago, and I was SO tempted to try to get an interview in their IT department for something... anything...

Brian, they had an opening in the IT dept a few months ago, I applied but never heard anything back..lol

You sure you want to work there? the turnover is crazy and the pay average at best. There are tons of ex-ilmers.

From
    Mansfield, TX

I don't know. I've learned a lot from you guys that has impacted my decision. What I was really looking for was maybe a special effects, model making, or prop making position in the movie buisness. I thought that I wanted to be a history professor, but I am so happy making costumes and props and models. I love it. I think that in the future thats what I would be most happy doing.

I just thought that ILM was as good as it gets, so I set my expectations pretty high. Is there another company or something like that that's any better? I'll do some research...

with me personnaly, i am just hoping to get an internship with ILM. maybe a job one day but i would definatly would love to get some hands on training from the company. i believe that i would learn alot from there animation department

You might also check out Amagamated Dynamics: http://www.studioadi.com

They certainly do some amazing work.

From
    Chicagoland

Kashyyyk4ABY said: View Post
    Yes it is hard to get a job there, however I do not say this to discourage you in anyway in your pursuit. By all means go for your gold Bro! As Dfett said you can be an intern there(San Francisco) and actually LFL is very supportive of that in young motivated people. You can go to the website for the info. I beliveve it's listed as a summer Job with students having a gpa of 3.5 or better. (I knew I should have studied harder)

From
    Mansfield, TX

haha. Its no problem. Sometimes I just look at things unrealistically and its good to have at least a little bit of a wake-up call. But thanks for the advice. I'll look into it a little deeper.