Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 10, 2012, 6:13 PM - I saw the Phantom Menace #1

Suited up, grabbed a Jawa to drive my car, and went out this afternoon (yes, at 3:50pm) to see the Phantom Menace in 3D. The movie is still as bad as it ever was, with a few exceptions. Yoda looks better CGI than the puppet they used originally (I bought the Blu Ray, but haven't watched the prequels). The 3D worked well enough without having all that cheesy "in your face" stuff that they always throw in movies that were intended to be in 3D from the beginning.

I put on the helmet right out of the car and didn't take it off til I was seated and trailers started running. The girl behind the counter and the manager had to get pictures of us. The biggest problem is that the 3D glasses are too big to fit under my helmet. I guess if I had a completed jetpack, that would have been a problem too. And it's a little tough to sit still with the armor pushing up on top of the belts for 2 hours. Glad I didn't bother with neckseal or gauntlet hoses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phantommenace03.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	58572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phantommenace02.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	58573  
    Feb 10, 2012, 6:15 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #2

i'm about to go troop this in a few minutes as jango. i have no intention of watching the film in costume, however.
    Feb 10, 2012, 10:12 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #3

LOL awesome! Myself, Fett7, deadland and a few others are going tomorrow...right in the middle of our move LOL...yes we move into our new house tomorrow and the wife agreed it was ok since we had it planned weeks ago and the move-in date was just a week and a half ago. What a trooper, no pun intended
  4. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Feb 10, 2012, 10:53 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #4

I dragged mrs.slave1pilot to the theater to watch it too.
    No costumes
    That movie is absolutely dreadful.
    Feb 10, 2012, 10:55 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #5

Myself and 4 other people are going in costume tomorrow, should be fun!
  6. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Feb 11, 2012, 2:53 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #6

Dont know if theyre showing it in Korea yet but I must have to check into that
    Feb 11, 2012, 6:38 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #7

Trooping the theater today!... but in my 41st Elite clone... my Fett is closed for refurbishment for the time being.
    Feb 11, 2012, 6:55 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #8

I went and saw it this afternoon. It's The Phantom Menace, so what can you really say?
    I really enjoyed the 3D though. I thought it was well done overall. Plus I have a nice pair of "commemorative keepsake" 3D glasses now.

Not sure what theater prices are like in other parts of the country, but I paid $11.00 for a matinee ticket, and another $12.25 for a popcorn and coke combo!
    Feb 12, 2012, 12:12 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #9

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Dont know if theyre showing it in Korea yet but I must have to check into that
    Hmm, I wonder what the Nemoidians will sound like there...
    Feb 12, 2012, 5:21 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #10

Quote slave1pilot said: View Post
    That movie is absolutely dreadful.
    Yes it is....which is why I'm skipping the prequels and waiting for IV and V....still on the fence about watching VI, I can't stand those ewoks
    Feb 12, 2012, 7:28 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #11

I really don't mind the prequels. Yeah there are parts that are bad, but who cares. I'm thrilled to be watching my favorite movies in the theaters again. Now I'll finally be able to say that I have seen them all in the theater as I missed Ep II because it released while I was in boot camp. And this time I'll get to troop them which makes it cooler still and to make it even BETTER I get to watch them with my daughter and see her get as excited to be watching it in the theater as I get. I enjoy all the movies for different reasons, if I want to revisit childhood I watch the originals, but if I want something with lots of special effects and will work out my theater system I throw in a prequel (usually ep. 3)
    Feb 12, 2012, 12:49 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #12

Problem is Lucas is blackmailing us and has gone on record as saying if the 3D re-release prequels are not successful ($$$), than they will not do the OT.
    Feb 12, 2012, 1:49 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #13

I can understand that in a way, why waste more who knows how much $ when the ones you've done aren't doing well. Had Ep 4 not done well there wouldn't have been Ep 5.
    Feb 12, 2012, 11:12 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #14

Saw it today with my gf and her little brother, had a great time, will probally going to see it again. Super excited to see Empire in 3D.
    Feb 13, 2012, 12:40 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #15

My Phantom Menace premiere was an amazing experience. I teared up when the crawl started and the fanfare began. A few people put together some overnight costumes, a Servent Padme, Amidala, and Maul and received applause from the audience. The movie was all together pretty good. The 3D was okay in most parts, some shots where certain characters were out of focus in the original were a bit distracting though. The podracing scene was excellent as was the lightsaber duel in the Theed Power room. As always the Jar Jar gags were dumb and uneeded but I didn't let them ruin my movie. There were also some pretty cool extended scenes during the podrace and the first landing on Coruscant (that I assume were on the Bluray but I haven't seen it) And the best moment of the whole thing was the guy next to me after the movie: "So podracing is totally dubstep. I didn't know that in 1999" I'll be dragging the girlfriend to it in the coming weekends I'm sure.
    Feb 13, 2012, 7:51 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #16

We did a troop in the Ohio Garrison... it was an awesome troop (15+ people dressed; including Qui Gon, Obi Wan, podracing Anakin, 2 droids, giant foam Jabba)... what made it even better is that we got a private viewing of the movie for all of us that trooped, free popcorn, and free drinks

I actually liked this one because it was 3D that I can actually see (I can see depth into the screen, but not when it comes "out" of the screen at you.) The 3D really did make this movie better, but it was still the same movie that seemed to drag on for an hour too long.

Feb 13, 2012, 10:17 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #17

I trooped it as well out here with the Northeast Remnant. The troop was awesome and I'm looking forward to episode 2, which is my favorite of the series. It was great to see a bounty hunter fight a jedi in that movie. Some of the best action in all of the prequels. Also love the sound effects of the sound charges when Obi Wan is chasing Jango through the asteroid field.
  18. Feb 13, 2012, 10:47 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #18

I wish I had a complete costume. Probably going to see the movie tomorrow, and it would be awesome to go there in costume. Guess I'll just have to wait for the later movies.

But seriously, am I the only one who likes the prequels? Especially Episode I? Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul, hellooo
    Feb 13, 2012, 1:30 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #19

Had to add to my first post. Episode 2 is my favorite of the prequels. Empire still reigns supreme as the best in the entire series.
    Feb 13, 2012, 5:37 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #20

Quote Duke57 said: View Post
    Had to add to my first post. Episode 2 is my favorite of the prequels. Empire still reigns supreme as the best in the entire series.
    Of course! Its Boba's original appearance!
    Feb 13, 2012, 10:09 PM - #21

Here's my list from worst to favorite out of all six I know I'm gonna get flak for this but...episode 1, 3, 2, 4, 6, and 5 don't hate me for putting ROTJ ahead of ANH I just always liked the major fight scenes in ROTJ and I love MOST of Boba's suit with the exception of the rainbow colored JP..
    Feb 13, 2012, 10:21 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #22

My favorites are as such 6 (I troop as ROTJ Fett), 3, 5 ,4, 1, 2. Two is last just because 90% of movie is spent in senate or watching hayden recite painful love quotes.

I also got to troop Ep I. We got our own private viewing as well, and they made sure we got those red glasses as they only had 300 to give out and had mini posters for us as well. I went as my jedi, as I felt it was movie appropriate. I WILL be doing Fett when Ep 5 and especially 6 premiers. May do it for others but dunno yet.

I'm the jedi on the right

Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 PM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #23

Quote TLobe00 said: View Post
    We did a troop in the Ohio Garrison... it was an awesome troop (15+ people dressed; including Qui Gon, Obi Wan, podracing Anakin, 2 droids, giant foam Jabba)... what made it even better is that we got a private viewing of the movie for all of us that trooped, free popcorn, and free drinks

I actually liked this one because it was 3D that I can actually see (I can see depth into the screen, but not when it comes "out" of the screen at you.) The 3D really did make this movie better, but it was still the same movie that seemed to drag on for an hour too long.

That is one fine looking scout there. You're right Tony, free movie, free snacks, private screening...what's not to like? TPM is my least favorite but here's how I look at it. Its Star Wars on the big screen, the pod racing, light saber duel, and space battle looked great, and every story has to start somewhere. Yoda looked much better this go round. Jar Jar and little Anakin moments were just part of the cost of doing business in this one. It will only get better from here. I also take solace in the fact that Jar Jar would eventually play a major role in enabling the creation of the Empire.
    Feb 16, 2012, 9:26 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #24

I'd go to see it if we had a theater that had 3D
    Feb 16, 2012, 9:26 AM - Re: I saw the Phantom Menace #25

My thoughts on this are: Would you rather see something bad normal or... THREE TIMES AS BIG!!! for exsample Anikin says in his pod racer " It's working It's working!" or "IT'S WORKING IT'S WORKING!" three times as big and two feet from your face.? Besides 3D movies tend to make me sick any way.