Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something...

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something...

Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    Come on.... you are taking this way too seriously. As I said, we ALL laugh at ourselves, and at each other. You are comparing this to bullying? Really? Guess some people DO take this stuff way more seriously than others...
    No, I think it falls along the lines of "Some people take different aspects more seriously then others.".

Just like your example of arguing over paint schemes here on TDH, we have some people who argue over words on Mercs. It's not that one person takes "Costuming" any more seriously then you do, but the aspects of TDH which is mainly a prop forum may be different from someone who is looking to know more about "Mandalorians" in relation to Star Wars. It's a hard line to see because as groups we are used to seeing certain things in certain ways. Like Obi Wan said, it depends on your point of view.

formerly The Few the Proud 501st Blackshadow's Avatar
    From
    Maxwell AFB

GET A LIFE its ok to like things and collect and everything but complaining about some made up religious dance(or what ever it is) common are you serious its like i cant believe im even reading this
    Last edited by webchief; Apr 6, 2008 at 8:37 AM. Reason: Edited out foul language. Remember the CoC please.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

NovallTalon said: View Post
    No, I think it falls along the lines of "Some people take different aspects more seriously then others.".
    I totally agree with this. The thing is, I don't guess I would go over to a place where I knew it was all about "mandalorian culture" and try to force a point about how those guys aren't being "screen accurate" and if I did, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the general response was "who cares?" What I don't understand is that there are people who actually seem to be getting offended about this.

Couldn't agree more!
    so you AGREE that the rotj paint job is superior! see! good conversation! that ESB bully is outta here!

From
    Las Vegas, NV

tk7602 said: View Post
    so you AGREE that the rotj paint job is superior! see! good conversation!
    Been screaming it for years against the crushing tsunami that is the support for ESB!

From
    Flower Mound, TX

Delta75 said: View Post
    ROTJ wins - bickering over
    That's for sure...now somebody just needs to let the ESB guys (Spidey) know.8)

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

I don't think the OP knew in this case that this aspect of mando costuming wasn't discussed here.

TDH has a variants board where non-Fett mandos do post, and while it's not a board that is seen as a board to discuss "Mandalorians", it does mean that a door is open for EU discussion. Some people will see that and take it to mean TDH is a board for Mandalorian costuming and discussion.

The only advice I have for something like this is point them in our direction at Mercs if people come with questions such as this. It'll cut down on threads that are going to get possiable negative responses as well as keep TDH more on track with being a Fett/Zam props forum. To me, that seems like a winning alternative for everyone involved.

From
    UK

And to think... just a few years ago the ROTJ paint scheme was on the dancing mandalorians side of the argument and the ESB paint scheme was the "bully." How times have changed...
    Erm... theres one? (depict voice from life of Brian)

From
    Corbin, Ky

Thank you for reaffirming my signature! I think a visit from the High Clam Lord might be in order.

BTW, Cultural Relativism is Overrated.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

BigJon said:
    BigJon
    formerly joNich
    e·lit·ism [i-lee-tiz-uhm, ey-lee-]

- Show IPA Pronunciation –noun
    1. practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
    2. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.
    —Related formse·lit·ist, noun, adjective

I see no elitism in this thread. I guess not taking a made up language and culture seriously makes me an elitist. A great majority of the board doesn't take this language seriously, so I don't know how a minor subculture can call the rest of the community elitists.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

I think we all need to take a step back because Jango DID set a standard to be followed... break out those umbrellas guys!

As far as those who want to get their feelings hurt about this... my advice: grow a little thicker skin... we are ALL in a nerd hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ep-ii-select-10-jpg  

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Hey.....Lets have a good old ESB vs ROTJ brawl again!!!! I miss those!!!! Oh...wait...No, I guess i don't miss those that much.

The other day, I was going up to a guard tower here in Iraq, and I looked down. I saw this rock sticking out of the ground. And I was like, whoa...so I set down my rifle, and started to dig around at the edges of it. And I did, and this rabbit popped OUT OF THE ROCK! I KID YOU NOT!!

So I chased the rabbit down, and then I was like, dang, my rifle is sitting back there, so I ran back and got it, and the rabbit was gone. So I got in my tower....and thought...a rock rabbit. How interesting....

From
    Fort Worth, TX

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Maybe the use of Mando'a is a subject that we need to discuss on this board. I have had absolutely no ambition to learn this language or any of its words, but as it seems this is becoming a bilingual forum.

I would like to see the use of Mando'a to be discouraged, even in the custom mando section, being that a great majority of the members here don't speak a word of it and have no idea what anyone is saying; let alone how to pronounce it. Often I see when someone starts a run of an item, another member asks about it using Mando'a as if it's common knowlege, the one starting the run has to ask what was said before a real answer could be given.

Custom Mando's have their own forum now, Mando Mercs, and Mando'a there seems to be used just as frequently as English. Mando'a has crept onto this board, as well as clonetroopers.net.

Many members here don't even have English as their first language, and with them trying to learn that as well as having Mando'a thrown into the mix, this will really confuse someone. We have members here from France, Spain, Germany, Japan, China, Italy, where have you, many different languages, and I don't think a fake language needs to be mixed in when many of us are here just to build a costume; not to be a real Mandalorian.

So my final thought is that you can speak your Mando'a if you want to, I just don't like to see it, I have no idea what it means and no one translates it. Being in the South West I have to deal with this issue every day not speaking a word of Spanish. For all who use Mando'a, I would recommend that you explain what you're trying to say in English too.
    I completely agree with you...couldn't have said it better myself.

As a matter of fact, this thread would've deflected a few jabs from the very beginning if the explanation for the offense was clear to begin with.

I find that I tend to shy away from threads with Mando'a (?) splattered all over it. Nothing personal, but I also have no desire to learn it, and I' m sure it confuses those who are finding that getting a grasp on the English language hard enough.
    Last edited by batninja; Apr 5, 2008 at 2:42 AM.

untitled-3-png

From
    Oakdale, CA

It appears that this dance is taken from a "real" living culture, existing more than just in the mind....

"Every time I see someone who's not an Islander doing the Haka or even the Da Werda...it just seems very lack-luster. Remember the Da Werda was based on the Maori Haka to honor their traditions. Can we at least be a little more respectful of their culture when we do it?"

But did anyone really know this? So we go back to the intention, I don't see it

From
    Calgary

As far as those who want to get their feelings hurt about this... my advice: grow a little thicker skin... we are ALL in a nerd hobby!
    I pretty much expect to get ribbed by canon Fett costumers for being a custom, and wanting to get involved with Mandalorian culture. That's a given, and my skin is like bantha hide to that kind of teasing. But I agree, this kind of topic is something that should be over on Mercs.

What really bugged me was the fact that my work and my efforts were being insulted so blatantly. I accept Dellis Tantor's apology, but the fact remains that it was just a blanket insult to say there was no effort put into what I've done. I know most of you guys think the EU is a pile of bantha poodoo, but I take it seriously. I've been trying to put Dha Werda Verda together based on la couple of pages worth of writing in a couple of books, and a song from a video game. It's true, the times I've performed it before, it's slow paced, and pretty roughly choreographed. But I'm working on making it faster and more intense. Like anything, it takes progress. I can imagine the sculptors here know how many times they need to refine a clay sculpt before it looks anything like a canon Fett helmet.

And now for 27 posts joking around with maybe 1 relevant paragraph mixed in:

From
    Corpus Christi, TEXAS

Gilmore of OK said: View Post
    The other day, I was going up to a guard tower here in Iraq, and I looked down. I saw this rock sticking out of the ground. And I was like, whoa...so I set down my rifle, and started to dig around at the edges of it. And I did, and this rabbit popped OUT OF THE ROCK! I KID YOU NOT!!

So I chased the rabbit down, and then I was like, dang, my rifle is sitting back there, so I ran back and got it, and the rabbit was gone. So I got in my tower....and thought...a rock rabbit. How interesting....

Freaking boots leaving rifles laying around

So whats this "Da Werda Verda" dance any ways? If no ones seen it in live action then how dose one know if they are doing it wrong

I remember when recasting was the hot topic. Only been here 4 years and kind of miss those days. Dont get me wrong ive started pointless threads and made a few absurd comments myself.

From
    Serving time in C.R.

ShatirLavan said: View Post
    I've been trying to put Dha Werda Verda together based on la couple of pages worth of writing in a couple of books, and a song from a video game.
    Can someone tell me exactly how much screen time Boba had in the trilogy (not the special editions) and how many lines of dialog (not including the scream)?

Maybe we should get Karen Traviss to erase the dance from all subsequent printings of her RC books and she can retcon Fett's Vette into the books. Then we can all follow MC Chris around like a Star Wars version of the Greatful Dead, worship the ground he walks on, and troop or loiter with extreme prejudice at all his shows.

Can't we all go back to making fun of the Star Trek folks?

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

boba-fetus said: View Post
    Now that's only thing that makes any sense

boba-fetus said: View Post
    Commander Voltaire said: View Post
    Now that's only thing that makes any sense
    *Charges Klingon disruptor*

Bring it !!

From
    Flower Mound, TX

Awwww man. And I thought we could go somewhere with The Dancing Helmet thing. I know Gilmore knows the moves to Thriller. I was ready to begin studying Flashdance... Nuts...

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

You asked for it. Um, let's see, nah, I don't want scratch up my nice armor, I prolly can clean up on you in this rig *loads Kenner E-11 with Ethanol*

From
    Oakdale, CA

I see nothing wrong with the Dancing Mando's.
    I really wonder why things like this always come up, this is supposed to be fun,
    We need a "ask Mr. Mando" thread.

From
    keldabe

Originally this was about showing respect when preforming the Haka, a real life ritual dance. It was also mention that when preforming the Werda Verda, a ficticous ritual done by mandos and clones, (an omage to the real dance from the Maori) a certain amount of intensity be used as in the Haka. I think his point was that if we're are goin to emulate a culture because we admire their qualities we should put our all into it as a sign of respect (not to mandos, to the Maori and all island cultures). Also there are some of us who want to learn the Werda or help to form it to a point where we can perform it at and during trooping events to add the fun of it all.

Here are a few link about the haka. The first is more traditional, the second is a rugby team performing the Haka to intimidate the other team. (Look at the face of the other team)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lrE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHW1K...eature=related