Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 4, 2008, 11:47 AM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #26

ok...I'm an idiot. I thought this had to do with a Fett doing a Samoan Haka dance. Since I don't know anything about the EU...I will respectfully withdraw my comments and go read and EU book...maybe pick up an EU figure...or something....

Sorry guys!

womo
    Last edited by womo68; Apr 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
    Apr 4, 2008, 11:52 AM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #27

I guess I thought this was a forum about how to build a Fett suit, not about how to dance in one to look cool.
    LOL!

I can't really believe this is a topic...but if you really want to play this way we might consider creating a sister site:

The Dancing Helmet
    Boba & Jango Fett elite choreography forums
    Apr 4, 2008, 12:07 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #28

Quote schwartz said: View Post
    LOL!

I can't really believe this is a topic...but if you really want to play this way we might consider creating a sister site:

The Dancing Helmet
    Boba & Jango Fett elite choreography forums
    Count me in!
    Apr 4, 2008, 1:14 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #29

i may be a newbie but i think anyone who is brave enough to do the dha wherda in public deserves a round of applause. Maybe one day someone who is brilliant at organizing could set up a dha wherda if so count me in
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 1:49 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #30

We've been talking about it in Mercs, maybe at a DragonCon or Celebration.
  6. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 4, 2008, 2:33 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #31

And all of this over a brief mention of Mandalorian in the Empire Strikes Back sketchbook. I'm impressed a word can go this far.

Lee
  7. formerly joNich
    Apr 4, 2008, 3:16 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #32

Quote Mirax H said: View Post
    I guess I thought this was a forum about how to build a Fett suit, not about how to dance in one to look cool.

But yet posts about Starship Troopers costumes and other stuff are ok to post here?
  8. Wes is offline Wes
    Apr 4, 2008, 3:21 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #33

Quote BigJon said: View Post
    But yet posts about Starship Troopers costumes and other stuff are ok to post here?
    As long as they aren't dancing
    Apr 4, 2008, 3:22 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #34

Quote Delta75 said: View Post
    As long as they aren't dancing
    Nice!
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 3:51 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #35

Might this dancing be to make up for all of those school dances and Proms we never went to??
  11. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 3:59 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #36

I don't think anyone is saying postings about synchronized mando dance recitals aren't ok, but as Brian summed it up early on, I think you will find that the majority of TDHers (not all, just most) are more interested in the aesthetics of the COSTUME worn by the CHARACTER "Boba Fett" than they are in plumbing the subtle depths of the "Mandalorian culture" as if it were a real way of life. If that is your thing, great for you, but I think you would see the same head scratching and subtle joking if someone posted on the proper courtship rituals of the elves from LotR.... and PLEASE... I don't doubt that there is someone here who knows the proper courtship rituals of the elves from LotR... please don't share it...

If the Starship Trooper posting had been a rant about the injustice and insensitivity of the military against the bugs and how we should try to better understand and relate to the bugs culture you might have a point... But posts showing off pics of screen used costumes compared to posts critiquing the authenticity of someone's imaginary cultural dance moves isn't exactly apples to apples.
    Last edited by Art Andrews; Apr 4, 2008 at 4:05 PM.
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:05 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #37

It's just a hobby. So some people like to choreograph a fictional dance in their spare time, it's not like they lock themselves up in their house and go all out crazy. That's the problem with this topic. The people who to most of society are freaks, who dedicate a lot of time to making a costume look right, are now insulting those who dedicate time to bringing a little more fantasy into this dark reality we're living in now. I find the Mandalorians fascinating, and guess what, GASP, I have a real life too, where I am actually aware of real things going on around me, and I talk to real people who like to talk about real things. Amazing, isn't it?
  13. formerly joNich
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:19 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #38

Quote Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying postings about synchronized mando dance recitals aren't ok, but as Brian summed it up early on, I think you will find that the majority of TDHers (not all, just most) are more interested in the aesthetics of the COSTUME worn by the CHARACTER "Boba Fett" than they are in plumbing the subtle depths of the "Mandalorian culture" as if it were a real way of life. If that is your thing, great for you, but I think you would see the same head scratching and subtle joking if someone posted on the proper courtship rituals of the elves from LotR.... and PLEASE... I don't doubt that there is someone here who knows the proper courtship rituals of the elves from LotR... please don't share it...

If the Starship Trooper posting had been a rant about the injustice and insensitivity of the military against the bugs and how we should try to better understand and relate to the bugs culture you might have a point... But posts showing off pics of screen used costumes compared to posts critiquing the authenticity of someone's imaginary cultural dance moves isn't exactly apples to apples.
    Brak, I understand your point. But as you stated a majority of the the TDH costumers are more interested in the aesthetics of the costume...then why are they even replying to this thread?

All I ask is that some of the attitudes of people change in regards to EU and non-canon related topics. Besides, the description of the Sarlacc Pit reads "general discussion forum"...meaning that the discussions don't revolve around Boba Fett and his costume.

I see many threads in this very Sarlacc Pit that are not related to Boba Fett, Star Wars, or even costuming, yet none of those threads ever get as much flak as when someone starts talking about Mandalorian stuff.

I realize that not all of you are "as into" Mandalorians as everyone else...but have members show some restraint with their comments.

My two cents. Delete it, lock it, do whatever. Just quit picking on the EU folks just because others aren't into it.
  14. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:23 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #39

In an effort of fairness I will see your two dancing tribal mandalorians and raise you two dancing Starship Troopers. These two guys are of course performing the well known "Prance of Klendathu" performed in honor of the first capture of a brain bug. Now granted, Jose's position #17 is a bit off as his left hand should be slightly higher and his stance a bit wider to better capture the rising of the twin suns and Dana's leg lift only seems half hearted without the required hip pivot. Still, I think we can all agree that this is a solid B+ effort and the spirit of the dead bugs left to rot in the desert would be appeased.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dancing1.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	23750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dancing2.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	23751  
  15. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:29 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #40

Hopefully, without being offense, you guys make it a bit easy to make silly comments. We all laugh at ourselves from time to time because lets face it, our entire hobby is a bit silly. However, it is even easier to poke a little fun when people begin to take things really seriously. Again, I would liken this to the people who want to BE jedi or who want to capture the "essence and mystique" of the elf culture (sorry I keep bringing that one up but I know some of those people). It makes it easy to poke fun at because it seems that some people begin to forget this stuff is all make believe. I would expect the same if we started assigning oursleves ranks with the SST stuff and started only referring to each other as Major this and Captain that... It is just a movie.. just a hobby.

Again, I don't think anyone is saying this stuff can't be posted, but you have to expect a LITTLE ribbing about it.

Brak, I understand your point. But as you stated a majority of the the TDH costumers are more interested in the aesthetics of the costume...then why are they even replying to this thread?

All I ask is that some of the attitudes of people change in regards to EU and non-canon related topics. Besides, the description of the Sarlacc Pit reads "general discussion forum"...meaning that the discussions don't revolve around Boba Fett and his costume.

I see many threads in this very Sarlacc Pit that are not related to Boba Fett, Star Wars, or even costuming, yet none of those threads ever get as much flak as when someone starts talking about Mandalorian stuff.

I realize that not all of you are "as into" Mandalorians as everyone else...but have members show some restraint with their comments.

My two cents. Delete it, lock it, do whatever. Just quit picking on the EU folks just because others aren't into it.
  16. Wes is offline Wes
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:33 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #41

BigJon,

I don't think its a jab at custom Mandos or EU. I smarted off and I'm building Skirata. I feel the issue of this thread is that there was a complaint of sorts regarding the proper dancing style of a Mando dance (which is made up).

Once LucasFilm makes Boba dance in the live action series we could continue this debate.
  17. formerly joNich
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:34 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #42

Justify it however. I remember a bully telling me the same thing when he used to make fun of me at school when I was younger. "I was just joking with you". I guess you won't know how it feels for the ones being "joked with" until it happens to you someday.

I'm done here.
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:36 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #43

Quote Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    It is just a movie.. just a hobby.

Again, I don't think anyone is saying this stuff can't be posted, but you have to expect a LITTLE ribbing about it.
    I definitely don't mind a little ribbing, it's completely fine. And those dancing SST's made me giggle. But when someone posts something like this, and more than half the replies are poking fun, that's a little out of hand. I'd say if you don't know what someone else is talking about, or you have no interest in it, don't post. Simple as that.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:38 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #44

Maybe the use of Mando'a is a subject that we need to discuss on this board. I have had absolutely no ambition to learn this language or any of its words, but as it seems this is becoming a bilingual forum.

I would like to see the use of Mando'a to be discouraged, even in the custom mando section, being that a great majority of the members here don't speak a word of it and have no idea what anyone is saying; let alone how to pronounce it. Often I see when someone starts a run of an item, another member asks about it using Mando'a as if it's common knowlege, the one starting the run has to ask what was said before a real answer could be given.

Custom Mando's have their own forum now, Mando Mercs, and Mando'a there seems to be used just as frequently as English. Mando'a has crept onto this board, as well as clonetroopers.net.

Many members here don't even have English as their first language, and with them trying to learn that as well as having Mando'a thrown into the mix, this will really confuse someone. We have members here from France, Spain, Germany, Japan, China, Italy, where have you, many different languages, and I don't think a fake language needs to be mixed in when many of us are here just to build a costume; not to be a real Mandalorian.

So my final thought is that you can speak your Mando'a if you want to, I just don't like to see it, I have no idea what it means and no one translates it. Being in the South West I have to deal with this issue every day not speaking a word of Spanish. For all who use Mando'a, I would recommend that you explain what you're trying to say in English too.
    Apr 4, 2008, 4:57 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #45

The only part that I really have a hard time with is when folks post this mando stuff assuming that everyone will know what they mean.

Were this a Mandalorian community, they probably would. But this is a board dedicated to bickering about how superior the RotJ paint scheme is to the ESB one

So as a result, there are lots of us that just have no clue what any of this means, so seeing a post typed in a language that doesn't exist to the world at large is just awkward.

And somehow I feel like we've had this very same conversation. Repeatedly
  21. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 5:04 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #46

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    But this is a board dedicated to bickering about how superior the RotJ paint scheme is to the ESB one
    Couldn't agree more!
  22. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 5:06 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #47

Justify it however. I remember a bully telling me the same thing when he used to make fun of me at school when I was younger. "I was just joking with you". I guess you won't know how it feels for the ones being "joked with" until it happens to you someday.

I'm done here.
    Come on.... you are taking this way too seriously. As I said, we ALL laugh at ourselves, and at each other. You are comparing this to bullying? Really? Guess some people DO take this stuff way more seriously than others...
    Apr 4, 2008, 5:09 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #48

best thread eva...
  24. Wes is offline Wes
    Apr 4, 2008, 5:10 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #49

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    But this is a board dedicated to bickering about how superior the RotJ paint scheme is to the ESB one
    ROTJ wins - bickering over
  25. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Apr 4, 2008, 5:16 PM - Re: I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something... #50

And to think... just a few years ago the RotJ paint scheme was on the dancing mandalorians side of the argument and the ESB paint scheme was the "bully." How times have changed...