I got an assignment!

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hey all,
I know this probably won't register with most folks, except those in the military, but I just found out I got an assignment! :D
I'll be heading over to Kunsan AB, Korea in June, 2008! The assignment will be for 12 months, then hopefully I'll get my choice of follow-on assignments to Langley AFB, VA.
I've been stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson since July 2004, and my wife has never really liked AZ. (She's a "beach baby" having lived most of her life in Virginia ;)) So this is pretty exciting for us. (y)
I don't relish the idea of being apart from my wife for a year, but as a lot of military folks understand, doing a "remote tour" is the quickest way to get where you want to go.
Just excited and wanted to share. :)

I'll baby sit that freshly painted FPH for you ;)

:lol:

Seriously, that IS great news man ! Bittersweet, but great news ! You definitely have to keep the communications lines with us here open on a regular basis. Knowing what I know of you so far, you'll probably be painting something in your spare time when you're over there anyway :lol:

Uhm, be careful with the night life there bro ;)

FP

Congrats man! I am over here at Osan AB at the moment myself. You will have a good time over here. There is plenty to do. It does suck leaving family behind. I left my fiancee back in the states, so I have an idea how it will feel. Just make sure that your wife has a good support system set up (friends, family, family support) and you two will be fine. I won't lie, it is not always easy.. Just remember that what doesn't kill ya, only makes you stronger. The year will be done before you know it!! Congrats again and have a safe trip over!!!

Cheers!!

Erik

Thanks everybody! I still don't think it's really hit me yet that I'm going.
I'm planning to take about a month of leave before I go, so I only have about 5 months left in AZ! :eek:

Chris, I appreciate your offer to babysit my FPH. But I'm gonna wrap it (and all my SW props) nice and snug and have it sit in storage. ;) :D

GuinessNM, thanks! As of right now, my wife is planning to stay with her parents. They're elderly, and have been having some health problems lately, so it should be a good deal all around. For me, except for being apart from my wife for a year, the part I'm dreading the most is the flight over there! I go bananas on long flights! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,

Looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods...kinda [well my side of the planet anyways. ;)].

Congrats on the assignment though and stay strong!

Stay safe,

Tim.

OOH! Korea! You'll be near me.....Kinda! except that Kunsan is far in the south and I'm in Seoul, which is up towards the DMZ.....But not too close to the funny little fat man with big glasses!!!

Wow, congrats on the assignment! I hope it works out really well for you, and have a safe return too. Bummer to hear you'll end up even further from the West Coast, I was hoping to see your collection of sci-fi props someday. :lol:

I miss Korea as well. I was stationed in Uijongbu with 2ID. There's a great kalba/bulgogi restaurant right outside Camp Red Cloud.

By the way...if anyone's in Seoul, and knows where Nakwan Plaza is, I have a non-Fett-related mission for you. PM me for info...

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back