Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Dec 17, 2007, 5:06 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #26

Well, I am with those of you who were a bit disappointed.

SPOILERS***

I really thought this movie was going to be more about a guy being alone in the big city (kinda the opposite of Castaway) and if they had to throw a vampire/zombie element in, at least they would make sense. These things didn't make any sense at all. I hear it was very different in the book... but they just ruined the movie for me. And for such a big budget film, this has to have been some of the worst CGI I have ever seen...
    Dec 18, 2007, 11:36 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #27

Well surprisingly i did like the movie a lot.

<WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS>

it had its up and downs sure the CG wasn't perfect but do any of us know wat a vamp/zombie realy looks like, and who said they were vamps in the first place i didn't see any fangs, and it was a man made virus, not an ancient natural mutation/virus. Anyways i realy don't have any complaints, i thought it was worth every penny.
  3. Dec 18, 2007, 1:41 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #28

that movie was SWEET!
    Will Smith ROCKS!
    Dec 18, 2007, 3:40 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #29

Will smith saves the day ,again so go see it , why not, you might like it
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 18, 2007, 6:57 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #30

For those who are complaining about the CG, the zombies were originally going to be actors with prosthetics, but a last minute change made them CG because they could do so much more that way.
    Dec 18, 2007, 7:32 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #31

I thought the CG was pretty decent.. Although those lions weren't very convincing.. Other than that, I don't see why anyone would say it was horrible..
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Dec 18, 2007, 8:43 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #32

There were other immune people? When in the film did it say that? Besides when she takes them the cure?

A 3 inch knife into Will's right thigh...I don't think he could hop up right away for that... Plus, he got stabbed, by falling about 15 feet, with a cut on his head...
    The CG wasn't that great, but it was still awesome. (IMO)

And it was a colony, they could have equipped a bunch of craziness, just like Will did, with the car bombs, and UV lights.

I am not arguing here, just giving my view on this crazy awesome film.

Edited: Fixed errors in text.
    Dec 18, 2007, 8:57 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #33

All I cared about was that it had zombies. I could be damned if I cared about more than that. I am proud to say that I have seen every single zombie movie from the past 3 years.
    Dec 19, 2007, 9:16 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #34

This book is my favourite book of all time!
    Brilliantly written.

Chances are hollywood has trashed the whole idea behind the book in that in the vampires eyes HE is the bad guy (a legend)

I'm still looking forward to it though
    Dec 19, 2007, 9:19 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #35

Quote sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    This book is my favourite book of all time!
    Brilliantly written.

Chances are hollywood has trashed the whole idea behind the book in that in the vampires eyes HE is the bad guy (a legend)

I'm still looking forward to it though

They did downplay the vampire theme from the books, the infected are vampiric in nature, but the idea of vampires is not a theme in the movie.

I thought it was well done however.

Making books into movies doesn't always work out, I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did seeing as how the book is over 50 years old

-Quinn
    Dec 19, 2007, 11:11 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #36

Meh, I was disappointed. Will Smith seems to be one the the big factors selling this movie. That and almost ALL the action is in the trailer. I almost knocked out a few times during the slow parts. I did love the somewhat first person scene in the dark building. The huddling zombie-vampire-undead-people kinda reminded me of Silent Hill. Now there's a good movie. Go see Silent Hill and pee your pants.

I'd say this movie is still worth watching, but the ending seemed like they wanted you to be thinking "what JUST HAPPENED?!" but instead they handed you all the facts, and it's more like, "oh, ok." My favorite part was seeing a Mac get smashed.
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Dec 19, 2007, 4:20 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #37

Quote askywalker98 said: View Post
    My favorite part was seeing a Mac get smashed.

Right on!

Dec 19, 2007, 10:33 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #38

Quote The Clayster said:
    There were other immune people? When in the film did it say that? Besides when she takes them the cure?
    It was right before Will yelled at the lady "EVERYBODY"S DEAD!!!!!!!"
    he started rambling off about percentages and how many people were infected and stuff.

Quote CombatBaby said:
    I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did seeing as how the book is over 50 years old
    Both Lord of the Rings and I Am Legend were published the same year. So I don't think it really matters how old the book is, it's more of : what can the director and writer fit into a reasonable length movie without losing too much of what people like about the book. Personally I think the best format for the book would be a tv mini-series. Then it could still keep those great cliffhangers at the end of each chapter
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Dec 19, 2007, 11:40 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #39

Quote corby44 said: View Post
    It was right before Will yelled at the lady "EVERYBODY"S DEAD!!!!!!!"
    Hence that quote, he thought everyone was dead, and that there was no colony...
  15. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 19, 2007, 11:46 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #40

The movie is about a man's loneliness turning him insane. Sam was the last living being in his life, and even when the woman and the boy came around, he was bent on the idea that there was no colony and that he was the last person left.
    Dec 20, 2007, 2:54 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #41

Possible spoiler...

So, did the darkseekers set the trap with Fred? I was under the impression that Neville set it and forgot about it. He was going crazy after all, if you look closely Fred's head turns just a little when Neville first sees him while he's driving.
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 20, 2007, 4:01 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #42

I was under the impression that the Darkseekers set the trap. The "leader," saw how Neville set up the trap to catch that female one. That is why he took "Fred" to another location because Neville would inspect it and get close enough to set off the trap. The "leader" Darkseeker was also there waiting for him.
  18. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Dec 20, 2007, 4:16 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #43

I thought it was a good movie. I've never read the book, nor did I know there was a book until reading this thread. Still, I was left with a "that was it?" kind of feeling at the end. It felt like they were going for a really epic movie, but dropped the ball halfway through. The narration at the end just felt forced.
    Dec 20, 2007, 8:30 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #44

If any of you read, please read this book. The author is Richard Mattheson and he's written afew books, shrinking, invisble man etc. It's a short book and you'll finish it in a day.

I just love the way the author brings your attention to your throat every so often. Turns out in the book that Neville is the bad guy

This book was also done by Charlton Hesten in the Omega Man. Same vibe as their not xombies in that either and they dont fight amongst themselves as they do in the book.

I hope the film is good as I'm really looking forward to seeing this
    Dec 20, 2007, 9:10 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #45

Quote sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    If any of you read, ...
    duh...i kan reed!
    Dec 20, 2007, 9:48 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #46

My Take.

It wasnt terrible, but it was just too all over the board for me.

Possible Spoilers.

I was actually under the impression that he actually caught himself in his own trap. As he went crazy, he just lost it. And the 'vampire' was in there, because nevil always set his traps in front of dark doors. However after thinking about it, he had used a cloak to cover them from light, and thre was no cloak. Regardless this is the root of the problem I have with it.

The whole 'situation' got way out of hand too quick. He went from being a little strange to totally losing it in a matter of like 3 days. He made far too many stupid mistakes, for someone who had lasted so long.

Along with the silly wall scaling, etc etc, the movie just broke apart in the vampires being way too 'capable'.

They either are, or they arent. But when you jump back and fourth between sentient and non sentient, its a little silly. At least for me.

I got tired of watching him chase deer with a car, and on foot, when he had rifles that could have taken them down from almost a mile away.

However, all being said, I think that no matter how this movie played out, they would have had dissapointed fans. Either you focus on the struggle of being alone, and some people complain theres no action, or you throw in hordes of dumb but capable vampires, and have it tear wholes in the plot.

For me, had they made the mistakes/insanity play out more patiently, I would have enjoyed it more. I thought castaway, though not my favorite movie, gave you a good sense of the insanity building, and the mistakes slowly coming, instead of waking up one day and finding yourself stupid.

----------- end

I saw the regular version, with a regular batman preview. I think heath ledger is doing a better job as the joker than people gave him credit for. But I couldnt get a feel for whether the movie will be good or not.

Im actually looking forward to the next Narnia more. It looks like they are going to make it a much darker movie, which im all for.
    Dec 27, 2007, 11:33 PM - Re: I Am Legend. #47

Quote TeamFett said: View Post
    Possible spoiler...

So, did the darkseekers set the trap with Fred? I was under the impression that Neville set it and forgot about it. He was going crazy after all, if you look closely Fred's head turns just a little when Neville first sees him while he's driving.
    I saw it, freaked me a little to see a mannequin turn his head. Had me wondering...

As for the quick insanity bit, I think it's just appropriate for a man to want to 'lose/kill' himself off when he loses something/someone very close to him, whom he loves tremendously. Remember how difficult it was for him to leave Sam behind when Sam shot into the darkened building [he still stayed and looked though] and add to the fact that Sam was his only companion, AND his last surviving connection to his family.

IMHO, a good movie.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Dec 27, 2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    Dec 30, 2007, 6:51 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #48

I am Legend....should be called I am Disappointing.

I dont know the novel is great. So is the original movie with Vincent Price back in the 50's. Omega Man had its charm, though it was a departure from the book.

There is something about this movie I was hoping for so much more. The Dark Seekers, where not what I was looking for. In the book and the other movies they spoke to Neville and made him insain. Here they where just animals.

Ergh. This was not the movie I wanted to see.
    Dec 30, 2007, 10:41 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #49

joox

Google it.

EDIT-

Actually, Legend got nuked. Google 'OV Guide' instead, and do some searching that way.
    Dec 31, 2007, 1:40 AM - Re: I Am Legend. #50

Its back on Joox... GO GO GO...