Housing and workspace issues

From
    Huntsville

Housing and workspace issues

Hi everyone,

I have an interview with a company out of state early next week, and one other lined up, which means I will be looking for a new place to live soon (right now I live at my parents place). If I get the job, it means I will have an income, and will finally be ablse to start working on costumes again.

BUT,

If I find a 1 bdrm appartment I doubt that I will be able to do anything due to a lack of workspace and fumes (fiberglass, paint, etc) I was then thinking about renting a 2 bdrm and turning one of them into a workshop. Anybody have advise on the subject? I am new to finding my own place to live and I want to make sure I can continue my hobby.

Thank you in advance.

From
    ALABAMA!!!!!

Re: Housing and workspace issues

ventilation is the key if you do the work in your house. i would find a 2 bedroom or better yet a older house with seperate garage. which is what i have.

From
    Walnut, CA

A second bedroom is not necessary if you have a large enough bathroom, turn on the fart fan along with a decent mask and that should take care of the fumes. The problem with using a 2nd bedroom as a workshop is that it means more rent which means less money available for your projects. Secondly, you'd really have to cover up the bedroom well in order to keep from thrashing it (mainly by stuff getting in the carpet) which I'm sure your future landlord wouldn't appreciate and would cost you at least your deposit.

From
    Central Upstate NY

Thats how I started- in a 2 bedroom apt. The 2nd room was big, had a large window, french doors, and linoleum floor. It was a great workshop.

From
    Walnut, CA

Linoleum floors certainly wouldn't be bad for a workshop, a whole lot better than carpet for sure. I think the ideal would be to rent a small house if possible then you'd have a a backyard or a garage to work in and you wouldn't have to worry too much about the mess you make.

when i rented, i had a place where i had access to the basement. the other tenant in the building never went down there, so it was all me. if you could find something like that, it would be great.

i guess it also depends on where you are moving and how much you are making. if you can afford more space, that never hurts