Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 14, 2006, 9:57 AM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #26

I didn't mean the 501st should take legal action or anything. You'd think ripping off their trooping peers would be enough to cut him from the organization so that his reputation doesn't carry over onto yours. Not to mention if the folks buying from him may only be doing so because he's advertising that he's part of the 501st, as that (in the trooping world) would lend him some credibility, no?

Quote webchief said: View Post
    Unfortunatly there's not much the 501st can do to control what people do in their free time. His internet transactions have nothing to do with a costuming group.
  2. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 14, 2006, 12:49 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #27

Quote Dha_Syntir said: View Post
    I didn't mean the 501st should take legal action or anything. You'd think ripping off their trooping peers would be enough to cut him from the organization so that his reputation doesn't carry over onto yours. Not to mention if the folks buying from him may only be doing so because he's advertising that he's part of the 501st, as that (in the trooping world) would lend him some credibility, no?

I agree with you, here. If one advertises that they are part of the 501st, then they are representing the group as a whole. Ripping people off tarnishes the reputation of the 501st, especially if he's using it to give the seller a false sense of security.
    Nov 14, 2006, 3:22 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #28

Quote Boba_Fett_03 said: View Post
    I agree with you, here. If one advertises that they are part of the 501st, then they are representing the group as a whole. Ripping people off tarnishes the reputation of the 501st, especially if he's using it to give the seller a false sense of security.
    As I said before, it's being looked into folks.
    Nov 14, 2006, 3:24 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #29

It sounds like no one is happy with his quality and shipping time, but has anyone actually flat out never recieved the product?
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Nov 14, 2006, 7:01 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #30

Someone in a thread a few days ago *supposedly* got $800 in never-recieved items.
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Nov 14, 2006, 8:51 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #31

Quote Hammer of Might said: View Post
    Someone in a thread a few days ago *supposedly* got $800 in never-recieved items.
    Here it is:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=15945

I'm tellin' ya ... just a search for BSS is gonna bring up multiple forums loaded with people's bad experiences with doin' business with this feller.
    Nov 15, 2006, 3:22 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #32

I can belive the 800.00. just for the jet pack and some shin tools and some knee darts Im into him for a little under 400.00
    Nov 16, 2006, 3:33 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #33

be carefull pay pal will only watch your back for 45 days. The credit card co. is only going to watch your back for 60 days. Just found that one out today.
  9. The Sniffer is offline The Sniffer
    Nov 16, 2006, 6:29 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #34

So sorry to hear about this. Sometimes the worse lessons are the best. We don't see it now. But we will see it later. Best of luck my friend.
    Nov 16, 2006, 7:19 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #35

Quote webchief said: View Post
    Unfortunatly there's not much the 501st can do to control what people do in their free time. His internet transactions have nothing to do with a costuming group.
    I disagree. If the mods on TDH can ban someone for recasting in their spare time, then surely the 501st can do just the same thing. Not only has he recasted, but he has ripped people off and pretty much conned people out of their money. I guess we'll see what happens when Andy or someone else hears back from the CO.

I know, I said I wouldn't get into it, but these threads are fun.
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Nov 16, 2006, 8:33 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #36

Quote TeamFett said: View Post
    I disagree. If the mods on TDH can ban someone for recasting in their spare time, then surely the 501st can do just the same thing. Not only has he recasted, but he has ripped people off and pretty much conned people out of their money. I guess we'll see what happens when Andy or someone else hears back from the CO.
    But the banning on TDH occurs due to a Code of Conduct violation. For someone to be expelled from the 501st, I do believe he/she needs to violate the 501st charter in some way shape or form.
    Last edited by Jimmy BufFETT; Nov 17, 2006 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spellin'
    Nov 16, 2006, 8:36 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #37

I think breaking the law in such a way would/should count.
    Nov 17, 2006, 12:01 AM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #38

his CO contacted me tuesdey and asked for info and said he was going to contact him. I hope he can do something for that kid whos out 800.00. I think other than throwing him out of the 501 there is not much more he can do. Oh well. I still need a jet pack. Anyway I think im over it. Im tired of crying over spilled milk. See ya in a better thread.
  14. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 17, 2006, 2:11 AM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #39

Quote Mr. Stubbs said: View Post
    his CO contacted me tuesdey and asked for info and said he was going to contact him. I hope he can do something for that kid whos out 800.00. I think other than throwing him out of the 501 there is not much more he can do. Oh well. I still need a jet pack. Anyway I think im over it. Im tired of crying over spilled milk. See ya in a better thread.

There's not much the 501st can do, but there *is* something that we can do: report Bloodsport Studios to the authorities, and charge him with Fraud. What he's doing is illegal, and he should be held accountable for it.
    There's a lot of fraud going around on ebay right now and the authorities are cracking down on them but hard. A series of reports against him will shut him down.
    Nov 17, 2006, 8:37 AM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #40

Quote TeamFett said: View Post
    Well, you have the right to disagree all you want but there is nothing the 501st will officially do. Its up to the individual consumer to handle or take up with the proper authorities (fraud). Here's the 501st's official stance on recasters:

Council Resolution 1: Legion's Stance on Recasting
    Resolution: The 501st Legion does not condone, support, or encourage re-casting. It is, however, outside of the scope of this club's mission, charter, authority, jurisdiction, and purview to consume our time and energies as a volunteer organization in efforts to prosecute those who, of their own volition, choose to engage in re-casting.
  16. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 17, 2006, 12:54 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #41

That kinda shatters some illusions I had about the 501st; basically, they're saying "We dont like recasting, it's wrong, but we don't really care if you do it." A hypocritical stance, if you ask me.
    I realize that they are a volunteer organization, but you'd think they'd want quality membership instead of hacks who like to rip off other peoples' work and steal peoples' money.
    Nov 17, 2006, 1:07 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #42

Not that they don't care but that they can't do anything about it. Ripping people off is an issue for the law, not a costuming club.
    Nov 17, 2006, 3:34 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #43

They should have every right to ban him from the 501st for breaking the law, it's a perfectly legitimate reason for kicking anyone out of anything.
    Nov 17, 2006, 3:52 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #44

Kicking him out of the 501st does not prevent him from continuing to recast.
    Nov 17, 2006, 3:53 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #45

Nor will it prevent him from ripping people off. But it will stop people from associating the 501st with scumbags like this.
    Nov 17, 2006, 4:36 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #46

Most 501st members either a) already have a costume or b) have discussed with fellow garrison members the best place to get more costume parts, thus avoiding BSS as a whole. If 501st members don't do any research and fall victim to BSS through eBay or shady deals, then 'shame on them'. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

As for associating BSS with the 501st, the Legion does not promote his work in any way.
    Nov 17, 2006, 4:53 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #47

I'm not talking about 501st members. I'm talking about ordinary people who want to start their very own Boba Fett costume (maybe in hopes of joining the 501st). They fall victim to BSS, get their dreams crushed, and find out that the guy they got ripped off by is a member of an "elite" organization that does charity work for kids.

That doesn't make the 501st look too good.
    Nov 17, 2006, 5:06 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #48

The 501st Legions contains many people from many walks of life, many of whom with skeletons in their closet. Unless he is actively promoting his sales as endorsed or 'approved' by the 501st, the Legion has no recourse. He doesn't even claim his association with the 501st in his auctions.

The fact that he is a shady dealer AND a member of the 501st is nothing more than an unfortunate coincidence.

It would also be unfortunate (and a bit ridiculous) that someone might judge the Legion solely on this one bad apple, while not weighing the HUNDREDS of other good things we accomplish.
  24. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 17, 2006, 5:29 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #49

That is absolutely ridiculous. BSS doesnt have skeletons in his closet; he is actively parading them around. Since the 501st is now aware of him ripping people off, keeping him around is like condoning what he does. What if a member stole credit card numbers? Identity theft?
    Yes, people who join the 501st already have costumes, but you can't tell me that each and every member will never make another one. BSS presents a risk to those who wish to create more than just the costume that they have.
    As a final point, how wise is it to do charity work with a thief as one of your members?
    Nov 17, 2006, 7:10 PM - Re: Help,I am a BSS victim. #50

*sigh*

See, BSS doesn't plaster his business on the side of his vehicle, he doesn't set up a booth at 501st events to sell his wares, and he doesn't advertise on any popular websites. He's flying under the radar just enough to avoid direct scrutiny, skeletons or not.

He is not doing anything to intentionally damage the 501st's reputation as a whole. Now, if he stole a 501st member's credit cards or identity, then yes, the Legion would kick him out in a heartbeat (and report him to the proper authorities).

This is simply a case where someone got ripped by an individual. It doesn't matter if the individual is a member of the 501st, the Boy Scouts, or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It's a law enforcement matter, not a Legion matter.

If the perp steals a car in the name of the Legion, then obviously there is cause for banishment.

Now, if the Legion decides to boot him for these allegations, then it will happen based on testimony from all parties concerned, beginning with his Garrison command staff. If they decide to handle it away from Legion HQ, then that's their call.

My point is, don't assume that it's the Legion's duty to enforce a ban on someone who hasn't disrupted 501st operations.

There are obviously disagreements with my opinion, so I will try to refrain from posting any further. To each his own.