Sorry I've been away for so long, this summer was pretty hectic.
Anyway, during a filming session at the Monacasy river, I noticed a freshly fallen tree. A few days later, a returned to the tree and cut off a section of the trunk (I fugured it was better than cutting down another tree [yay for eco-friendliness]).
After ALOT of labor, that log turned into this mask. I am hoping to use it in my Indie-homemade slasher film.
I did the rough shaping on the chop saw, and the rounding with an electric planer. the details of the eyes and nose were done with a dremel using a high-speed cutting bit.
I intentionally did not cut a mouth, because I thought it would take away from the ominous-ness.
Anyway, after alittle bit of palm sanding, I tackled the back side. This had to be chiseled into a concave dish so as to conform to the wearer's face. This was probably the hardest part, as very few power tools will allow you to make a plunge cut that doesn't go all the way through.
After that was done, a made some slots for the straps (a few old belts).
then, today, I stained it. It got alittle darker than I wanted, but I'm still pretty happy with it.
It's fairly heavy, but it's still wearable.
Hope you like it.