Subscribe
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 8, 2014, 7:32 PM - Got some good health news today! :) #1

Hi all,
    I don't normally share a lot about what goes on in my personal life, especially things
    that are health related, but I got some really good news today and just wanted to share.

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago and have been able
    to control things fairly well with medication (oral) and diet/exercise. One of the big
    risk indicators for diabetics is a blood test called A1c. Basically it's an indication of
    how much "free glucose" is in your blood stream over the past 2-3 months.

If your A1c result is 7.0 or higher, it can indicate an increased risk of all kinds of
    diabetic-related health issues. In the past 2 1/2 years, my A1c has ranged between
    9.3 - 7.1. It has trended downward as they've tweaked the type and dosage of my meds.

I had a follow up with my doc today, and from my latest round of blood work 2 weeks ago,
    my A1c is now 6.9! I'm pretty happy with this result, as it shows that the medication
    they have me on (plus my efforts to control what I shove down my gullet, LOL) is working!!

Yay medical science!
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 8, 2014, 9:12 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #2

That's good news man! Keep up the effort for working on what you eat for sure.....it hasn't affected my sugar levels yet, but my blood pressure is a work in progress......
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 9, 2014, 6:23 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #3

Great to hear that man! stay well! happy for ya
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 9, 2014, 7:22 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #4

Great News !!! Keep it up !
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 9, 2014, 8:27 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #5

Great news man. Is your diabetes from family history?
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 9, 2014, 9:48 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #6

That's great news! Keep up the good work!
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 9, 2014, 10:33 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #7

This is great news indeed!!! Please continue to take care of yourself Mr. “We love you Man” hehe
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 9, 2014, 2:26 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #8

Hey, thanks guys! I think the hardest thing for me is cutting back on the carb heavy stuff that I love, like pasta.

Quote SEEKER said: View Post
    Great news man. Is your diabetes from family history?
    Sort of. I only found out recently that my mom was "pre-diabetic" for many years. But I think she was the only
    one in my family that had any issues with it. She never had to take medication as far as I know.
    2 Weeks Ago - Oct 10, 2014, 8:36 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #9

Great news man!
    1 Week Ago - Oct 12, 2014, 12:46 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #10

Superjedi,

• You are a great inspiration to loads of people out there with problems.
    • Just keep at it, don't quit and constantly improve yourself with upgrades to meds, diet, exercise and lifestyle choices.
    • Any upgrade of these things will help, all upgrades are just about perfect, but nobody is perfect so just keep at it.
    • Just like Fett's approach to weapons & bounty hunter gear and Slave I upgrades, you are in a constant state of upgrades to be the best of the best.

- tterrell
    15 year Type I, Last AIC: 6.8
    1 Week Ago - Oct 12, 2014, 2:13 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #11

Thanks again, guys.
    tterrell,
    Great advice! I'll definitely keep those points in mind.
    Since my A1c dropped below 7.0, they are going to have me do my blood
    work every 6 months rather than every 3. So I'll try to continue the things
    I've been doing and keep my fingers crossed for the next round of labs.
    1 Week Ago - Oct 12, 2014, 3:26 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #12

Good to here dude :-)
    5 Days Ago - Oct 20, 2014, 2:21 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #13

Great to hear Eric... As my main non-Fett job is in the fitness industry, if you need any ideas that way, drop me a line anytime :-)
  14. 5 Days Ago - Oct 20, 2014, 10:25 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #14

Thats awesome man! A freind of mine that is extremely overweight (got to be around 350+ at 5'7" tall) and doesnt take care of himself just had a diabetic seizure, and fell and shattered his leg during it. Diabetes is nothing to mess around with, and he's lucky thats all that happened, it could have been much worse! I'm glad your levels are getting better! Heres to an even better reading next time!
    4 Days Ago - Oct 20, 2014, 7:46 PM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #15

Thanks again, guys!

Jonny, if you can tell me how to how I can eat pasta every day that would be great. Kthx.

Darth V. . . that's crazy! It's gotten to the point now when I can sort of tell when my glucose is too high.
    When I "feel it" I just think about the last meal I ate and try to adjust my diet accordingly. I have found that
    portion control is a big help! Simply not eating as much at a meal can help reduce my numbers.
    4 Days Ago - Oct 21, 2014, 9:51 AM - Re: Got some good health news today! :) #16

Hahaha, ahh my friend, I wish I could tell you how to eat more and more of all your favourite things, but as you well know and have touched on - its all about controlling your portions, as you obviously have different priorities. But still - a little bowl Boba-Fettuccine in moderation will hopefully always be an option for ya!