Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 28, 2008, 10:20 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #26

mmm...Scorpians...

We get scorpians....and at my old house which was next to a big wetland/foresty area we had some rattlesnakes in our backyard every once in awhile
    Apr 28, 2008, 10:27 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #27

Not much in the way of nasty critters in my part of the world. I hear there's a spider in these parts that can deliver a rather painful bite (brown recluse, I think) but I've never had a problem with them, and I don't think I know anyone who has. No poisonous snakes up here. The worst sting you can get is from a bee. There are bears around, but again I haven't heard of any encounters to be concerned about. When I've gone out on archaeology digs (depending on who I was working with) we sometimes had to carry bear spray, but I never so much as heard of anyone who saw one, let alone see one myself. The racoons can be called nasty if you consider the fact that they make a mess of any garbage can they find. LOL To be honest, I'm more concerned about the pit bulls and dobermans people take out for walks on the trail by our house than I am about any wild critters.

::edit:: I wanted to mention that we have something called a "pseudoscorpion" (probably can be found in many parts of the world). It looks like a tiny little scorpion, but with no tail. They're not at all dangerous, but very interesting little beasties. Every once in a while you can see one climbing on a wall or something... if your eyes are keen that is. They're only about 2 mm across.
    Last edited by Gypsyboy; Apr 28, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Apr 28, 2008, 12:06 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #28

Hmmm, mostly black widows, few snakes and lizards, a coyote here and there. Biggest concern are great white sharks. One ate a guy's legs near here last week.
    Apr 28, 2008, 12:19 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #29

the only pests in my house are my siblings
    Apr 29, 2008, 10:13 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #30

Right there with you Andy we had 2 show up in the last two weeks fortunately the pest control guy showed up too. Well we had him spray the whole house for scorpions so hopefully that the last I will see of them till monsoons!
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:57 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #31

Dear lord, Andy ... I don't know if I can spend another night at your place if there are scorpions getting in.
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:25 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #32

Quote Jimmy BufFETT said: View Post
    Dear lord, Andy ... I don't know if I can spend another night at your place if there are scorpions getting in.
    Only downstairs
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:36 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #33

Quote MandalorFett said: View Post
    Hmmm, mostly black widows, few snakes and lizards, a coyote here and there. Biggest concern are great white sharks. One ate a guy's legs near here last week.
    yikes! i really really REALLY want to see a live great white at some point. but no leg eating. i'm thinking maybe a VERY large boat.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Apr 29, 2008, 4:45 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #34

Quote jenchuan said: View Post
    CENTIPEDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kill at least a dozen of those things a week!!!

ICK! I hate those things more than spiders and snakes!

Oh yeah. We sometimes have copperheads around our house. We've killed about 5 of those. We've had 2 of them sunning themselves on our back porch. I mowed over a small baby one a couple days ago when I was cutting our grass. I am incredibly thankful that I was on a tractor mower!!!!!!! I knew it was a copperhead because of the smell of cucumbers right after I ran over it.

Ran across a couple black widows as well.

We also get the deer, wild turkey, buzzards, red tailed hawks, and coyotes. We've also had 3 bears, and I think one bobcat.

Bats? We have fun with them. LOL! Put a tennis ball inside a tube sock, go out to a street light at night, and throw the sock straight up into the air and watch the bats dive bomb the tennis ball. Just got to be careful they don't dive bomb you!! LOL!

I live out in the country. I see quite a bit. My mother look out for "critters" whenever we go out. LOL! And we almost always see a few deer, and sometimes a huge flock of wild turkey!

And I was an army brat, so we lived in Panama right outside the jungle. And I saw all kinds of critters there. Tree sloths, iguanas, bird eating spiders, all kinds of monkeys, more bats and centipedes. Even ran into a pit viper nest in a sand box when I was 4!!

But I have never encountered any scorps!!!
    for a second, i thought you were saying you encountered all of these "critters" in one place...if i ran across copperheads, black widows, centipedes, bobcats, bears, and coyotes...well, i think i'd just pack up and move.

i live in a suburban area in NJ right by a reservation, so the worst we get are deer eating your flowers.

and tk...no matter what size you get, you'll always need a bigger boat.

A.T.
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 29, 2008, 5:30 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #35

Quote Akaron Tarik said: View Post
    for a second, i thought you were saying you encountered all of these "critters" in one place...if i ran across copperheads, black widows, centipedes, bobcats, bears, and coyotes...well, i think i'd just pack up and move.

i live in a suburban area in NJ right by a reservation, so the worst we get are deer eating your flowers.

and tk...no matter what size you get, you'll always need a bigger boat.

A.T.
    Haven't seen the Jersey Devil lately?

Apr 29, 2008, 5:44 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #36

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    What kind of crazy critters live in your area?

I have an exwife in the area, does that count?
    Apr 29, 2008, 6:18 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #37

That scorpion reminds of those suckers that have a scorpion embedded in them. Has anyone else tried those? I thought it tasted like burnt popcorn.
    Apr 29, 2008, 9:31 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #38

Most of what I see around our house are smaller spiders and box-elder bugs (I'm sure they are called something else, but we call them that around here). We also have pheasants that live in the lot behind our house. I haven't seen them yet this year though.

Couple of weeks ago though, i was outside working on my car and I heard a couple of people talking. I turned and could see an animal control officer climbing over a fence right by my house. I figured he was after some of the cats that roam around the neighborhood, but figured I'd keep watching. I went over into the corner of the fence area and slammed his net down on something I couldn't see. After watching him struggling with it for a second, the next thing I know this HUGE PEACOCK takes flight and lands in the yard next to where he was trying to catch it. There is a local zoo here that let's the peacock's roam free, so I'm guessing it had escaped from there, but man, I didn't see that one coming!
    Apr 29, 2008, 10:06 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #39

Quote shortimer52 said: View Post
    I have an exwife in the area, does that count?
    Now thats funny
    Apr 30, 2008, 11:36 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #40

I HAVE encountered all those critters!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer, buzzards, and turkey are quite safe. LOL! Coyotes, bears, and bobcats are safe from the car and inside the house. LOL!

And we've killed a few snakes!!! I still get the creeps when I think about the huge copperhead that was crossing the street from a creek. Darned thing stretched halfway across the road!!

Now we've got a lot of baby squirrels, cows, and deer. So CUTE!!!

And a friend of mine just recently rescued an abandoned baby otter. Now THAT was something different!

Hey! It's fun living out in the middle of nowhere!! You never know what you're going to see!

But regarding the "big critters". As long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you. Don't go running after it to see what it is!!!
    Apr 30, 2008, 12:02 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #41

Speaking of pests, our neighbor has three very annoying yap dogs that they leave out in their backyard (the stench!). They bark continuously everyday and night! Since it's getting pretty hot now, I want to save money by not using the AC so we just open the windows, but the barking is just too much so we leave the windows closed and use the AC. Maybe I should have them pay for my electricity bill!

In the house, we have tons of big daddy longs legs which doesn't bother me much coz they eat ants, but there is the occasional brown spider that I catch on the wall once in a while. But scorpions tops it all for me, I'm glad we don't see them around here! We have two little ones and if they get stung by one of those critters, it could be fatal!
    Apr 30, 2008, 10:07 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #42

What about the Chupacabra?????
    Apr 30, 2008, 11:10 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #43

I had to chime in on this one once more. I see a few people mentioned bats. I had bats in the ceiling above my room. They would keep me up all night long scratching and squeeking. A few summers ago, we tore off the roof cap above my room, and about 50 flew out & almost knocked me off the roof. Not good since it is almost 3 stories!!! This part isn't for the sqeemish (sp?) There was about a 2 feet of quano in there!!!!!!! (I always wondered what that odd smell was.) I had to suck it all out with a shop vac & it was one of the worst jobs I ever had to do. since there is really nowhere to stand up there, I had to work while standing in it!!! I live in what used to be a church, and my room is in the old bell tower....(see pic) So yeah, I litteraly had "bats in the bell-free!!!!!!"
    D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house front.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	24356  
    May 1, 2008, 5:19 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #44

Oh man where to start with the creepy crawlies... Well where I'm stationed here in Missouri we get some nasty wolf spiders and the occasional brown recluse, in one of the shops I worked in we would catch a good sized wolf spider and keep it far a pet, we called him "Moon Shine." We also have a sizeable population of coyotes living just off base and they go nuts at night when they find something tasty to eat lol. Now back home in florida where my parents live (and I wish I still lived) you can hear the gators in the pond behind their property and we have what we call the "Boogie Cat" lurking in the vacant lots in the neighbor hood, it's like a bobcat but too big to be one and the wrong color and the tail is too long. And don't forget the snakes, my grandparents had a pair of blue racers living in their back yard and a king snake in the front yard and then there's the occasional pigmy rattler that I would get the distinct honor of hunting for my elderly neighbor (old people in Florida imagine that) and my favorite beach on Boca Grande has iguanas instead of squirrells. I think I have my own fair share of beasties
  20. May 1, 2008, 6:48 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #45

well, nothing big, unfortunetly. brown recluses, black widdows, and at one point a cat. i still dont know how the little buggar got in, but it was the same cat that bugged me at my old house. however, it was caught and put into the pound. so i adopted it.
    ...still have spiders though... lots of spiders >=(
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 Prudii Solu's Avatar
    May 3, 2008, 1:51 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #46

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    How nasty are the stings of that particular type of the little buggers?
    One day I was coming home late from work and I was extremely tired, so I dropped my work clothes off in the hamper, settled in my bed in my skivvies, and proceeded to fall asleep.

All of a sudden I felt multiple sharp pains in my rear end. It felt like someone was poking me with a needle, so I got up, turned on my light, and lo and behold a scorpion was sitting in between my sheets!

I smashed the sucker and thought nothing of it. I woke up in the middle of the night fully drenched in sweat, my body felt numb, and it was hard to swallow or speak. Luckily, I live about 3 blocks from a fire station, and since we're in the desert, they had a bark scorpion anti-venom.

So in short, the sting doesn't hurt, but it'll make you feel like crud (slight understatement). And the smaller their claws, the more potent the sting.

This guy...

is more dangerous than this guy...
    May 3, 2008, 3:24 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #47

Definately, the smaller the claws, the worse the venom is!!!! I've been studying scorps for ohh...almost 10 years now. Like any other predator, they have to minimize damage to themselves inflicted by thier standard prety. One way to do it, is to have a very toxic venom which paralyzes. The other, is to have massive claws that can crush a prey item before it inflicts damage. I've had many emperor scorpions in the past...(the black one that puddi posted...those are typically the ones you see for sale in pet shops.) I think I've had 5 or 6 of em, & never once did I see them sting anything!!!!!!!!! In fact, I could pick them up & let em crawl around on me & they were always very dosile. A few years back, I had a chance to pick up an arizona hairy scorp. I had that one only a day & he was trying to sting everything in sight!!!!! Very fascinating creatures...except if they are crawling around loose in your house!!! Scorrpion fun fact here: Less than 30% of scorpions are deadly to humans..however, some of the very nastys are super bad!!!! From my understanding, the ones we have in the states aren't to bad. If you go over to the middle East, some of the fat-tails they have there are responsible for like 70% of all fatalities annually. Again, for you guys who have to deal with them down south & have them loose in the house & stinging you, I can't blame you for hating them. But I really do find them fascinating!!! Hey, have any of you guys ever tried shining a black light on one???? They light up like a halloween glow stick!!!
    D
    May 4, 2008, 12:38 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #48

I found a scorpion in our hotel room in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Just a little bugger, hiding under the television. My mum tried chasing it outside but it came right back in, so she smashed it with my walking stick. And then she didn't want to sleep because she thought there were gonna be scorpions all over the room.
    When I lived in Easton, Pennsylvania, we used to get lots and lots of critters from the woods behind our house. Rabbits, fox, deer, groundhogs, squirrels, owls, and dozens and dozens of wild turkeys! (I would toss bread to them, and when they'd finish I'd run after them and watch them fly into the trees)
    In North Carolina, we got brown recluses. They're VERY poisoness, don't get bitten. They can kill you in a few minutes. I've seen people who've survived and were left with ugly scars as if the area bitten just rotted away. Once, when coming home from diner, there was this big spider on the kitchen floor. Maybe about the size of my palm. As soon as my mum saw it she let out this strange scream, kinda like "UWAAH!" She didn't want to smash it so she put a peanut butter jar over the spider, and it started biting the jar and leaving little droplets of I would guess to be venom, and we threw it outside.
    I've been in El Paso, Texas for over a year now. There's doves and pidgeons that sit next to my window and just make this "Ooo! Oooo!" noise all day. And sometimes I can here the scratching of their feet as they run around on the roof. I think they're fighting... or mating. Right now, lots of freakin' little cockroaches! Ergh, they keep getting into the house and just dying.
    Here's a question: Why do roaches always die on their backs?
    Last edited by Sareth Dorn; May 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM.
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    May 4, 2008, 4:43 PM - Re: First kill of the season. #49

Quote Sareth Dorn said: View Post
    I found a scorpion in our hotel room in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Just a little bugger, hiding under the television. My mum tried chasing it outside but it came right back in, so she smashed it with my walking stick. And then she didn't want to sleep because she thought there were gonna be scorpions all over the room.
    When I lived in Easton, Pennsylvania, we used to get lots and lots of critters from the woods behind our house. Rabbits, fox, deer, groundhogs, squirrels, owls, and dozens and dozens of wild turkeys! (I would toss bread to them, and when they'd finish I'd run after them and watch them fly into the trees)
    In North Carolina, we got brown recluses. They're VERY poisoness, don't get bitten. They can kill you in a few minutes. I've seen people who've survived and were left with ugly scars as if the area bitten just rotted away. Once, when coming home from diner, there was this big spider on the kitchen floor. Maybe about the size of my palm. As soon as my mum saw it she let out this strange scream, kinda like "UWAAH!" She didn't want to smash it so she put a peanut butter jar over the spider, and sharted biting the jar and leaving little droplets of I would guess to be venom, and we threw it outside.
    I've been in El Paso, Texas for over a year now. There's doves and pidgeons that sit next to my window and just make this "Ooo! Oooo!" noise all day. And sometimes I can here the scratching of their feet as they run around on the roof. I think they're fighting... or mating. Right now, lots of freakin' little cockroaches! Ergh, they keep getting into the house and just dying.
    Here's a question: Why do roaches always die on their backs?
    The smaller the scorpion, the more venomous they are. Don't get stung by a baby!!

And about that spider, I would have murdered it several times with many different blunt objects.
    May 7, 2008, 12:17 AM - Re: First kill of the season. #50

Ick. I've heard there are brown recluses around here too. Just never seen one yet. GLAD I HAVEN'T!!! I HATE SPIDERS!!!!!!!!! But I've heard about the damage they can cause when they bite.

And about "the smaller they are, the more poisonous they are". That is TRUE!!! Also in snakes!!! I heard that baby pit vipers are much more poisonous than adults!!! I think that's why I am so afraid of snakes. Something must have happened when I was little when we ran into that nest of baby pit vipers in the sand box. And I must have blocked it out. I dunno. I just know that I am terrified of them!!! So afraid of them I just freeze.

BUT right now, we're dealing with bag worms. There are tons of their cocoons all over the trees!!!