Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First kill of the season.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

First kill of the season.

Well the end of winter means that it is heating up outside, and heat means scorpions are looking for a cool place to live. So why not in my house?

I smashed this little bugger the other day, and ran into another one this evening. What kind of crazy critters live in your area?

From
    Norwich UK

Re: First kill of the season.

:o

you are pretty handy with the fly swatter

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

The fly swatter merely cripples them, I had to let it suffer and die under a jar before I dared to dispose of it.

How nasty are the stings of that particular type of the little buggers?

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Not sure, fortunately I've never been stung by one.

They would give you a nasty sting, its the smaller scorpions you need to be wary of, of course I know this living in the UK I used to be really into scorpions/spiders/snakes all that

I helped at SDCC '08 Silver Fett's Avatar
    From
    California

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    What kind of crazy critters live in your area?
    Wow, good thing you found it!

Last year while I was outside in my backyard at night, I saw a Bat fly away from our roof! At first I thought it was
    simply a bird, but a couple of days later I saw it again. It was no doubt a bat! Our neighbor even confirmed he saw a bat at his house.

Luckly, we never saw the little thing again.

From
    Flagstaff, Arizona

I frequently get herds of deer and elk through my back yard. I counted over twenty of them once. We've also had a black bear under our porch and there was once a mountain lion warning.

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

screw that. those things hurt. I once had a centipede in bed with me in Hawaii. Freaky little bastard

List of places not to live:

Nevada!

Okay, a Black bear under your porch isn't good either but that's a Scorpion!!! Bats are cool though, nothing wrong with them, I often sit out of an evening and watch them hunt

From
    Palatine, IL

Hey, we had a cougar trotting through the neighborhood streets of Chicago last week...

From
    Rich City, Tenyucky

CENTIPEDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kill at least a dozen of those things a week!!!

ICK! I hate those things more than spiders and snakes!

Oh yeah. We sometimes have copperheads around our house. We've killed about 5 of those. We've had 2 of them sunning themselves on our back porch. I mowed over a small baby one a couple days ago when I was cutting our grass. I am incredibly thankful that I was on a tractor mower!!!!!!! I knew it was a copperhead because of the smell of cucumbers right after I ran over it.

Ran across a couple black widows as well.

We also get the deer, wild turkey, buzzards, red tailed hawks, and coyotes. We've also had 3 bears, and I think one bobcat.

Bats? We have fun with them. LOL! Put a tennis ball inside a tube sock, go out to a street light at night, and throw the sock straight up into the air and watch the bats dive bomb the tennis ball. Just got to be careful they don't dive bomb you!! LOL!

I live out in the country. I see quite a bit. My mother look out for "critters" whenever we go out. LOL! And we almost always see a few deer, and sometimes a huge flock of wild turkey!

And I was an army brat, so we lived in Panama right outside the jungle. And I saw all kinds of critters there. Tree sloths, iguanas, bird eating spiders, all kinds of monkeys, more bats and centipedes. Even ran into a pit viper nest in a sand box when I was 4!!

But I have never encountered any scorps!!!
    Last edited by jenchuan; Apr 27, 2008 at 8:44 AM.

From
    North Carolina

Here were I live, there are no native wild cats left, except for bobcats, but there's an urban legend about a panther than roams around. Not too sure about the accuracy of this claim, though.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I love scorpions!!!! I've had quite a few of them as pets. However, I completely understand that they are pests dowm in your area Andy. If I had them loose in the house & not in cages, I'm shure I would get to dislike them fairly soon. Hey, maybe you can box one up & ship it up to me in MN

Up here we have those dang Aisan beetles. They were brought in to eat the aphids that decemate crops in the northern areas of the US in the late 90's and have been proliferating ever since. I have an older house, so every fall (after harvest when all the fields are gone) they swarm my house. I end up with letterally thousands of them coming in through every crack. they sting if you get them on you. At first I thought it was biting, but after some research, I learned that it is actually feces they excrete & its very acidic. Not pleasant!!!!! They also get in every light fixture and sit there & cook!!! Smells terrible!!!! Its not uncommon for me to wake a handfull of times in the evening when the dang things are crawling around in my bed. I go around with a vacume & vacume them up, only to have 2x as many in the house the next day. They get under the siding, and continually come n the house all winter depending on how warm it is. Know what the funny part is: the dang things don't do anything to the aphids they were shipped in to take care of!!!!!!!! Now they are talking about bringing in some kind of giant stingless wasp to take care of the beetles!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone say, "there was an old woman who swallowed a fly!!!!!!!!" Crazy!!!!!!
    D

From
    The Cold Widwest

I have a neighbor cat with a temper.

Damian, I had the same probolem here last year, I got one of these kits that has a little X cross section at the top, and has a bag at the bottom. You apply this sticker of smelly stuff (DON"T GET ANYONE YOU!!!!) that applies to one of the sides of the X, and just as soon as I opened the sticker, they swarmed me and this bag. It was absoutly crazy. I went throught two bags fairly quickly, both of which where full to the brim. They fly up into the X, and then fall in to the bag and can't get out. Don't put it by your bedroom though, they got fairly loud when the bag was full.

And about not getting any on your hands....try not to...They're attracted to the smell...and well, its realy weird seeing hundreds of bettles flying over your house just to poop on you.

EDIT - YES...I forgot all about the centipedes I had here a while back. I don't like the look of them most of all. Its realy weird to see something like that in a group. When I came home once, there where 4 -6 of them on the first step of my porch. Screamed like a little girl.
    Last edited by jodo; Apr 27, 2008 at 9:40 AM.

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Jango's kid said: View Post
    Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! I love scorpions!!!! I've had quite a few of them as pets. However, I completely understand that they are pests dowm in your area Andy. If I had them loose in the house & not in cages, I'm shure I would get to dislike them fairly soon. Hey, maybe you can box one up & ship it up to me in MN

Up here we have those dang Aisan beetles. They were brought in to eat the aphids that decemate crops in the northern areas of the US in the late 90's and have been proliferating ever since. I have an older house, so every fall (after harvest when all the fields are gone) they swarm my house. I end up with letterally thousands of them coming in through every crack. they sting if you get them on you. At first I thought it was biting, but after some research, I learned that it is actually feces they excrete & its very acidic. Not pleasant!!!!! They also get in every light fixture and sit there & cook!!! Smells terrible!!!! Its not uncommon for me to wake a handfull of times in the evening when the dang things are crawling around in my bed. I go around with a vacume & vacume them up, only to have 2x as many in the house the next day. They get under the siding, and continually come n the house all winter depending on how warm it is. Know what the funny part is: the dang things don't do anything to the aphids they were shipped in to take care of!!!!!!!! Now they are talking about bringing in some kind of giant stingless wasp to take care of the beetles!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone say, "there was an old woman who swallowed a fly!!!!!!!!" Crazy!!!!!!
    D
    I could look into mailing one to you, I don't know how good of a condition it will be in when it arrive though!

From
    Trondheim, Norway

Seagulls and cows mostly -_^

We typically get one or more water moccasin's a year, last year we had a gator in the koi pond though.

There was an ostrich in an apartment complex near where I live, but that's about it.

From
    Akureyri, IS

not any crazy critters ...but we do get these little black spiders everytime winter come, the swarm in like the black plague or something

i hate spiders so much hehe

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Reminds me, I was at an FTX for ROTC, and they had the Opposing force (the cadets playing the enemy) stay in baracks at camp blanding. Anyways, in open bay barracks, I was about to get in my rack, and the cadet in the rack next to me yelled "DONT GET IN!!" He pointed, and there was this huge freakin scorpian sitting right there in the middle, minding it's own business.

Me and him proceeded to smash it with are boots...the thing just wouldnt die...

From
    Silver Spring, MD

looks like a face hugger from aliens! haha. all i got to worry about is rats the size of dogs and cockroaches the size of rats.

From
    Chicago burbs

I'm getting the spiders popping up all over the house. They always sit up in the corners of my high ceilings, watching me.

we're pretty free of nastiness here in the boston area. there are brown recluse spiders in the region, but i've never even seen one. we have an occasional black widow that gets into something that gets shipped up, but not a lot in the way of native monsters.

From
    Montreal, Canada

That god we have below freezing point temperatures around here... all the nasty poisonous stuff stays down south.

We did get the Asian beetles from your farmers. They are disgusting.

We have wolves, cougars, lynx, bears and such but I have only encountered one bear in my life... and it was up north on a fishing trip. Also had a pack of wolves near our camp (they were howling) but we never saw them. I have never been more scared in my life. At first we thought it was funny because they were maybe 2 miles away so we would answer them back at their howlings. An hour later they were 100 feet away... when we heard that first 100-feet-away howling we got chills through my bones!!