Fiberglass Safety

From
    United States

Fiberglass Safety

Hi all,

Brief question for dremeling/sanding fiberglass.

Is an N95 respirator sufficient to protect me while cutting/sanding fiberglass?

I used the 3M 8511 N95 respirator, available here: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ew...px?SKU=2109080

Am I safe?

OSK

Re: Fiberglass Safety

Adequate - for VERY short term usage. Keep the room ventilated as well. The problem with those, is the seal around the face. A full face seal, is optimum (full face respirator).

FP

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Bah, I used that same kind of mask when I sand MDF. Worked fine for me.

I think Im going to die of toxic inhalation or something one of these days, I dont wear a mask much anymore, I just dont breath in that much lol. Aye, I should know better :wtc:

From
    East Coast, Singapore

As FP said, adequate. A well ventilated room will help immensely.

I myself use a 3M Half Facepiece Respirator 7502/37082(AAD) for standard work, but if I have to go full bore, I use a 3M Full Facepiece 6800.

Always remember that your health is important first and foremost and that little extra in cost and discomfort will help out in the long run.

Stay safe,

Tim.

tubachris85x said: View Post
    Bah, I used that same kind of mask when I sand MDF. Worked fine for me ..... - I dont wear a mask much anymore, I just dont breath in that much lol. Aye, I should know better :wtc:

Yes, you should. Famous last words

I was much like you when I started. Now, many years later, I've already lost a lot of my lung capacity. It will be a miracle if I don't die from lung cancer, or get mesothelioma or something like that before I'm 45. Once the glass particulates get in there, they NEVER go away. Smoking is better for you. At least your lungs, can regenerate that - over a period of 7 years or so

To FP you listen

FP
    Last edited by fettpride; Feb 18, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

fettpride said: View Post

Yes, you should. Famous last words

I was much like you when I started. Now, many years later, I've already lost a lot of my lung capacity. It will be a miracle if I don't die from lung cancer, or get mesothelioma or something like that before I'm 45. Once the glass particulates get in there, they NEVER go away. Smoking is better for you. At least your lungs, can regenerate that - over a period of 7 years or so

To FP you listen

Fp
    *sigh* I really need to get me some brass instrument, at the very least I can keep my lungs stronger then they are now, not having played in awhile, but your right. I'll make sure to at least wear a t-shirt over my face like I did back when I started this madness...