Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

District 9 Review

From
    Las Vegas, NV

District 9 Review

SPOILERS AHEAD! You have been warned!

So we went and saw District 9 today... and I walked out feeling very mixed... probably because this was a movie that seemed to take pieces from at least a dozen other movies. There was a bit of Blackhawk Down, Platoon, Starship Troopers 3, ID4, Cloverfield, and Alien Nation. I don't mind a moral tale and I love a movie that makes you think but this one really smacked you hard with the whole racist and apartheid... thankfully they didn't try to jam in an environmental tale as well, although I swear it was there and they just cut the scene short... I am also getting a bit tired of the movies that seem to be determined to portray humanity as the bad guy and only wants to show that humans are more monstrous than the monsters... It is an interesting theme to dwell on for a few years... but it is getting a little old.

I didn't care much for how the main character was so goofy at the start of the film... totally unbelievable in the role he was given, although he quickly became better as he got more "sick." I also think that I would find about 10 million plotholes if I just sat and thought about the whole premise for the movie for more than 5 minutes...

With all that said... the action in this movie was AWESOME as were the special effects! Watching the aliens... I never felt like I was watching a digital character but that I was actually witnessing a real actor. It was refreshing not to be distracted by the CG. The fight scenes, especially with the Mech were amazing and reminded me of the BOOK, Starship Troopers and the armor suits they use. Is it worth the price of admission? Absolutely. Is it going to become a legend? I can't imagine that it would...

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Re: District 9 Review

I loved this movie. Alot of things left unanswered, but in a good way. I loved the Halo Flood Spores that they were gambling with

From
    New York

THis movie freakin rocked ! The best movie I have seen since Revenge of the Sith ! Just Awesome!

From
    Las Vegas, NV

tubachris85x said: View Post
    I loved this movie. Alot of things left unanswered, but in a good way.
    I did think the ending was interesting to be left so open-ended. Couldn't help but feel a somewhat Christian overtone with the "awaiting a second coming" theme which I thought was interesting... Again... such an odd mix of different ideas...

I would have to say that for me, this was the best movie all summer hands down.

Spideyfett said: View Post
    I would have to say that for me, this was the best movie all summer hands down.

I have to agree spidey.This was an awesome movie.

From
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I greatly enjoyed the movie for a wide range of reasons. The special FX were top notch, the story had a good depth to it, I can go on and on... But by far the best part (not getting storyline specific) would have to be the style of which they filmed it. I absolutely loved that it was filmed almost like a documentary, it helped make the story feel that much more realistic.
    Definitely going down as a favorite movie in my books.

Absolutely! This movie was good jammed packed with action. Despite all the discomfort the Aliens and the humans had against each other it was freaky seeing the Alien ''Christopher'' interact with the main character and understand each other. I myself was a little confused with the suspense at towards the end of the movie, the rapid transformation of the main character turning into an Alien explains it all, he became part of the Alien population. That's why he could not be found. I wonder if the Alien kept his promise to return and fix em up? Overall awesome movie..

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

I saw the original short film on youtube, so I'm going in this movie hopeful, and based on the reviews here, it's good.

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

loved it.....best movie of the summer

From
    Knoxville Tenn.

Good flick But for me, it was nothing overly great... just a good movie. I'll buy the DVD and see it again before it leaves the theater. Best of the summer? I don't think so, "Moon" was the best for me.

From
    New York

I think in time it will become one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies.

From
    Phoenix Arizona

Saw it, loved it, greatest movie. Nuff said

From
    Las Vegas, NV

SaxeCoburg said: View Post
    Good flick But for me, it was nothing overly great... just a good movie. I'll buy the DVD and see it again before it leaves the theater. Best of the summer? I don't think so, "Moon" was the best for me.
    I wholeheartedly agree that Moon was the "movie of the summer!"

From
    Richmond, Va

I know two people who've been to see it and both said its the best SciFi in a long time.
    I look forward to seeing it at some future point.

From
    Orlando, Florida

Quite an excellent movie. Aside from all the deepness and thinking that went into the plot and characters, it had people EXPLODING!

From
    Boston, Mass

I am also getting a bit tired of the movies that seem to be determined to portray humanity as the bad guy and only wants to show that humans are more monstrous than the monsters... It is an interesting theme to dwell on for a few years... but it is getting a little old.

Just look around and read up on the world, its only a matter of time before one of these movies that depicts humans as monsters becomes more real than you would think. Yeah humans are capable of great things but these days act like animals more than people. Either way this movie rocked

From
    Phoenix Arizona

SaxeCoburg said: View Post
    Moon? Where can i see this?

EDIT: Just found it! Man i've got to see it!
    Last edited by TK-Devo; Aug 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

From
    Greensburg Indiana

It was just ok for me. I hate the shaky camera style movies more and more as I get older. as for the documentary style, I hated it. the movie really started to take off an hour into it when they went away from the interviews. As for the things I liked, the Prawns were awesome (loved the character development with the father and son Prawn) the mech kicked butt, as so did all the Alien technology! but best sci-fi of the year?? Hardly... Star Trek gets my best movie of the year nod!! District 9 GRADE---- C+

From
    THE OC , Southern Cali

Just got back from it, mixed emotions though.If they do a sequel/prequel I think I will like it a lot more

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Went with my ladyfriend the night before last to go see it, and neither of us were that impressed. I saw Alive in Joburg years ago when it originally came out and was expecting it to be as awesome as that 10 minute video.

It was boring, and it felt like it was 3 hours long even though it was just less than 2 hours.

From
    Huntsville Alabama

Very good movie. Although most of the ideas in this movie are not new, they are rarely so well done. The effects are flawless and the movie manages to pack in good bit of thrills and action. This film is not just another carbon copy brain dead summer movie. Since I haven't seen Moon (didn't play in my area) I have to say District 9 and Star Trek are the best movies of the year so far.

From
    Pilot Mountain, NC

I thought this movie was fantastic. Very nice mix of drama and action. The only problem that I had with it was the language. Now don't get me wrong, around my friends I cuss like a sailor but 80% of the main characters dialog was the F word. Its like the guys making the movie were like "Just say **** alot so it will appeal to younger audiences who think cursing is cool"! - apologies for the cursing

But the whole time I was hoping that the aliens would get pissed and just drop a bomb and kill everyone!.....but it didnt happen

From
    S.F. Bay Area California USA

My girlfriend and I enjoyed it. It was different from all other aliens movies. It did has some political issues there though. It was nice touch to see the change of the filming location taken place.... city/country other than the usual U.S. New York and L.A. also the different unknown actors.

From
    Houston, Tx

*chuckles* I don't suppose you were hoping for an F-Bomb, Lifeburn?