Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 30, 2012, 4:34 PM - Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #1

Thoughts about this? Im pretty excited to see an Episode VII in 2015 and maybe they'll back a Joe Johnson Boba Fett movie.
    Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion - Forbes
    Oct 30, 2012, 5:29 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #2

ya and stars wars VIII 2015
    Oct 30, 2012, 5:48 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #3

Disney will destroy this franchise, i also have fears for unlicenced star wars prop makers.
    Oct 30, 2012, 6:43 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #4

Disney will do nothing but good with Star Wars. To date Disney has made some really great movies ( avengers, the pirates movies) just to name a few. Theses will never be anything like the original's people so y'all should just forget about that now. I'm just really excited that when the next movie comes out my daughter will be able to go see a Star Wars movie with her daddy.

Chris
    Oct 30, 2012, 6:56 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #5

hmm I'm on the fence about this one. an alarm bell keeps ringing to me that what is there and has been done successfully, shouldn't be touched but Unkie George has faith that the franchise won't go down the drain. but then yes, Disney has made some great movies out of franchises they've bought (except perhaps the muppets) I guess time will tell.
    Oct 30, 2012, 7:29 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #6

WWWOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! Cmon fellas! Nothing but great things to come of this! who knows where the story will go..and who gives a S_ _ T! It will be awesome! And absolutley Disney has done nothing but great things w/ the marvel franchise! AMAZING..my son will be almost 6 when this hits the screen...almost the same age my father took me!
    Oct 30, 2012, 7:36 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #7

Quote thebeans said: View Post
    i also have fears for unlicenced star wars prop makers.
    What will happen with the 501st, etc?
    Oct 30, 2012, 7:47 PM - Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #8

Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    WWWOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! Cmon fellas! Nothing but great things to come of this! who knows where the story will go..and who gives a S_ _ T! It will be awesome! And absolutley Disney has done nothing but great things w/ the marvel franchise! AMAZING..my son will be almost 6 when this hits the screen...almost the same age my father took me!
    How long did it take Disney to get it right though? And how big of a threat does this pose to prop-making enthusiasts that Lucas has paid no mind? This could be very bad for us regardless of if they do a few good movies.
    Oct 30, 2012, 7:51 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #9

I'm not sure what to think about this is it a good thing or a bad thing, I guess only time will tell as to what happens hopefully they will do it justice and make good things from it, and I can't see it killing us small under the carpet prop makers as they haven't done anything to the likes of who do Thor, iron man or any marvel stuff so why should Star Wars be any different, guess we just have to watch this space and see what happens next.
    Oct 30, 2012, 7:57 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #10

Disney already uses the 501st for Star Wars weekends each year and I think they recognize the value of a huge FREE marketing entity.

How much would they have to pay to have that kind of advertisement? They are smart business men and women they won't change anything with LFL recognized costuming groups.
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Oct 30, 2012, 9:13 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #11

I'm wondering how much of the EU is going to get paved under with Episodes VII+. Will Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker, and other characters from the EU even exist in canon anymore? The Clone Wars already paints a bleak future for the storylines of the EU. At one point, the Star Wars EU was better than a lot of other fandoms by the very fact that it was overall fairly consistent without too much in the way of contradictions. Obviously, this is no longer the case since Clone Wars. I'm just wondering how much of what I consider Star Wars I'm going to have to partition off into an alternate timeline.

Not that it can't be done. I've read many, many different author's takes on Arthurian legends and have no problem with them all being different in terms of characters, timeline, etc. It will just be a shift to have to do that to an even greater extent with Star Wars.
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 31, 2012, 2:06 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #12

Thank god. George Lucas can't stain anything else now.
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Oct 31, 2012, 5:23 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #13

I'm up with that .... this can only be a good thing .... the best film in the series was directed by someone else and he took so badly to it that he flattened the potential of Jedi by essentially rewriting a version of the original ... and then to boot, totally flopped on Eps 1, 2 and 3 ...... preferring to go back and tinker with and alter everything done before ...

George don't get me wrong has a stunning talent for good ideas but IMHO does not excel at realising them to their best potential .......There is so much great talent out there in the writing and directing field that could take the Star Wars universe to newer and greater heights ...

- - - Updated - - -

I'll caveat that by mentioning Crystal Skull and the Indy series which really should have been better handled ..... its what happens when folks get so big that no one around them will say .... Woah .... Woah! ...WOAHHHHH ... hang on George ... Aliens in Indiana Jones ... Really?
  14. Oct 31, 2012, 8:40 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #14

Interesting to see what Disney can come up with...I'm optimistic
    Oct 31, 2012, 9:29 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #15

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Thank god. George Lucas can't stain anything else now.
    George Lucas is a visionary! Oh wait...He's just about ruined the SW franchise with his BS prequels....Carry on.
    Oct 31, 2012, 10:20 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #16

This should hopefully abate some fears.
    From Mary Franklin:

"Subject: Re: Rebel Legion status with new LFL/Disney?
    Please pass this on to all the fan groups you know it you can.
    ###

Sorry to be brief but I am setting up a big company meeting Q and A at the moment.
    The costumed Star Wars fan community and all Star Wars fans are vital to Lucasfilm and Star Wars. Our relationship is so very important.
    Please know that we are carrying on business as usual, and you can continue to contact me as you always have. "

Calm, please. "
    Oct 31, 2012, 10:31 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #17

I'm going to get Walt Disney tattooed under my Boba Fett... don't worry, I joke!

I just have to realise that we all own Disney costumes :P
    Oct 31, 2012, 10:39 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #18

I like many others am undecided on this. While it does have great potential for new stories, I wonder since GL won't be there to oversee the development and ensure that they maintain cannon consistency, it could go south real quick. At least they could bring fett back, but I am sure none of the original actors want anything to do with the new story lines.
  19. Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #19

I freaked out as well when i first heard this. But a few points were brought up and i have now calmed down in general for me to think, it probably wont be that bad.

Disney does good when it comes to not messing with their secondary companies. I dont see this being any different. Also like was mentioned before, they use the 501st every summer foir Star Wars weekends. LFL and Disney have been tight for years and i only see this being as a good thing.

As for new movies....eeeehhhhh on the fence about that. Im a fan of the originals, 4,5,6. thats all i care about. Nothing will ever be as good as those. Not a huge fan of the prequels.

According to Mary Franklin, LFL will be run by the same people and the same way, only under the Disney umbrella. So i dont think we will see much difference on our end. They just have more Financial backing now. Lucas himself said they have material for more movies, he just didnt want to do them, personally. He never said they wouldnt happen ever The woman who will be in charge at LFL, Kathleen Kennedy, was appointed by ol Uncle George himself, and she will be taking things forward. I doubt Disney will have any major input in what Star Wars stuff comes out. They will just get $$ and be able to put $$ into it. Cant see that as bad.

So i dont think we all need to worry. The only concern i had was the prop makers...but i have a fdeeling it will all be the same as its been. Disney is known for sending C&D's for their primary Intellectual Property, but not for their secondary companies. I would fear not, this is whole thing is probably more good than bad.

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    I like many others am undecided on this. While it does have great potential for new stories, I wonder since GL won't be there to oversee the development and ensure that they maintain cannon consistency, it could go south real quick. At least they could bring fett back, but I am sure none of the original actors want anything to do with the new story lines.

Actually in the article i read, it stated, Lucas will be a consultant for all Star Wars films made. Disney wont be making the new films..LFL will be...just financially backed by Disney.

There is this article here that explains alot:
    http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
  20. Oct 31, 2012, 10:56 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #20

Oct 31, 2012, 1:15 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #21

I like Unicorns.
    Oct 31, 2012, 5:02 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #22

More stories... More on screen characters...more starwars...more starwars talk...Priceless!
    Oct 31, 2012, 10:56 PM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #23

Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    More stories... More on screen characters...more starwars...more starwars talk...Priceless!
    My thoughts exactly!!
  24. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Nov 1, 2012, 12:20 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #24

Meh, this will be interesting....forget the cool fan based fiction, that won't appeal to the masses....I have a feeling we will see stuff that makes Jar Jar seem like a good idea.
  25. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Nov 1, 2012, 1:06 AM - Re: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion #25

I dont think that you understand Disney bought the company, and that the company isnt being changed. Like Sears bought Kmart, its still Kmart, they didnt change the name...they added craftsmen tools and other things to the store which made getting their stuff available in more locations. Disney bought LFL which means they will make the $$ off the films which are being made by LFL, they own pixar you didnt see it go away did you? No because they only bought the company to financially back the company to increase their pocket book, its business...they're going to let LFL make the SW movies instead of just doing Clone Wars which whether you like it or not is close to an end...the clone wars end at EpIII. Ep VII is going to be a continuation something that will make EVERYONE here happy...hopefully they take into account that the Fett man escaped the sarlacc and makes an appearance in the movies. Wearing ESB armor as his ROTJ stuff was trashed.