Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2008, 2:56 PM - The difference a decent lens makes #1

As many of you know, I dabble in photography a bit. For years now I have used the kit lens that came with my Rebel XT. I have heard again and again that it is the photographer not the equipment that matters and I have stood by that and never upgraded to a new lens. Well, I finally got a new lens this Friday and am just totally blown out of the saddle by the difference in quality! Here is a 100% crop that has been totally unaltered... no sharpening, no saturation change, nothing... My old lens, the one that has taken ALL the costume pics on my site, is on the left... The new lens is on the right. You can see full pics here:

Old Lens:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/misc/lens/lens_15-55.png
    New Lens:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/misc/lens/lens_24-70.png

I can't believe the difference in clarity and saturation. Can't wait to see what comes from our upcoming Boston shoot!

Jan 27, 2008, 3:11 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #2

That's a remarkable difference!
    I'm no photographer, but my wife is pretty handy with a camera. She's been wanting a lens kit for her new 8mp digicam. Maybe I'll get her one.
    Jan 27, 2008, 5:30 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #3

i knew you'd be happy with that! the lens you got is way way better than any of the ones i've used, and mine are way better than the kit lens

and you think *you* are excited about the new shoot? oh, and i hear that this time there may be some super villains in the roster. and perhaps some firefly folks too. we're gonna mix it up on ya!
    Jan 27, 2008, 6:26 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #4

That's always great to see an investment pay off like that. Do you mind sharing the brand/model details of the lens you got? I'm in the market for one.
    Jan 27, 2008, 7:06 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #5

Your photography skills are just nuts Braks!
  6. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2008, 11:03 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #6

Quote Count Dookie said: View Post
    That's always great to see an investment pay off like that. Do you mind sharing the brand/model details of the lens you got? I'm in the market for one.
    Of course not!

The new lens is a Canon EF24-70mm F2.8 L USM

... not cheap but when I look at that comparison above... that shows where every dollar went.

The old lens I had was the standard kit lens for the Rebel xt, a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II. While it served me faithfully for years, their is simply no comparison. For the type of photography I do, being about to open up to 15 was not necessary (even 24 is pretty wide) but being limited to a 55mm zoom was cometimes a little less than I would have liked. I also have a Canon 50mm Prime F1.8. Most photographers will tell you a prime will always be sharper than a zoom. My new lens is just as sharp as the prime but in addition it is not only more versatile but has much better color and saturation. If I can get Mirax to dress up for me, we will do a shoot this week!

And Brian, while I am looking forward to all the talent I will be shooting in Boston, there is one character I am looking forward to above all others... someone I have been dying to shoot since the beginning but have never had the opportunity. You know who you are!
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Jan 27, 2008, 11:46 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #7

Man, that is a huge difference ... and all you did was switch lenses? Dude, you really got your money's worth if you ask me.
    Jan 28, 2008, 12:00 AM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #8

i am a photo student and i know exactly what you are talking about. especially with film camera lenses! The XT is a nice camera but the kit lens isn't so nice. Great investment! looks fantastic. I need to upgrade my D40 kit lens now!
    Jan 28, 2008, 7:42 AM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #9

Awww Man!!!! (Deletes all pictures shot with old lense...sits down to wait for Braks Buddy to return to the Chicago Area)
  10. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 28, 2008, 10:15 AM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #10

Quote hansoloway said: View Post
    Awww Man!!!! (Deletes all pictures shot with old lense...sits down to wait for Braks Buddy to return to the Chicago Area)

We tenatively have a shoot in the Chicago area scheduled for late July/ early August.
    Jan 28, 2008, 11:05 AM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #11

Looks really good Brak's. It is very true that it isn't a matter of the equipment, but the photographer. However, that photographer needs to have the right tools as well, doesn't he.

The photostudio I work for was having some problems with one of our lenses as well lately, and just upgraded them. HUGE DIFFERENCE. I'm not the photographer, but the digital artist/editor and really really really enjoy the fact that we have such clean images again.
    Jan 28, 2008, 12:02 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #12

Quote Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    Of course not!
    And Brian, while I am looking forward to all the talent I will be shooting in Boston, there is one character I am looking forward to above all others... someone I have been dying to shoot since the beginning but have never had the opportunity. You know who you are!
    Bad news for you, but webchief's spartan costume probably won't be done in time... hate to burst your bubble like that, but it can't be helped.
  13. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 28, 2008, 4:09 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #13

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    Bad news for you, but webchief's spartan costume probably won't be done in time... hate to burst your bubble like that, but it can't be helped.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Well guys, that is it... call off the Boston shoot. If I can't get pics of the next LCO in leather undies then I am not coming to the NE.
    Jan 28, 2008, 4:39 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #14

Okay... I can't post any comments I have to that one here on public boards.

Anyway... I definitely need to upgrade my lens as I'm still using the standard lens with my Canon Rebel too. I've just been lazy. But that really shows the difference! Wow! I upgraded on my old film Canon camera and was always very happy with my pictures - more so than with my digital Canon. That's probably why! *duh*
    Jan 31, 2008, 12:01 AM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #15

Oooooh...an F2.8 ! Now that's a good investment....That's a damn good lense, but I will tell you bro, its not the lense as much as it is the photographer. I have the same lense but no where near what you can do with it. You're great with your camera and your new lense only augments what's there. Congrats buddy !!
    Jan 31, 2008, 7:13 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #16

Man... pick on a guy behind his back...

Can't wait til you and Kristen get up here again Art. It's gonna be a blast!

(oh and sorry about the leather undies... Brian's right... I won't have 'em ready yet)
    Jan 31, 2008, 7:18 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #17

Quote webchief said: View Post
    Man... pick on a guy behind his back...
    that wasn't behind you back. the stuff in the PMs is behind your back!
    Jan 31, 2008, 7:22 PM - Re: The difference a decent lens makes #18

nice