Crimson Empire III, Cover Model

The Clone Emperor

Active Hunter
198922_10150210391164623_633079622_8413570_7521092_n.jpg

Crimson Empire III, Issue 1, Dark Horse Comics
Cover painting in oil and acrylic by Dave Dorman
Armour reference modeled by Thomas Spanos

In 2010 a half dozen costumers, including myself, were asked to join the Dark Horse Comics panel at the Star Wars Celebration V Convention. For all the years of inspiration this institution has provided, I considered the the request to be an honour.
180978_10150154196419623_633079622_8131809_1634889_n.jpg

This panel served as the public announcement of Dark Horse's return to the Crimson Empire series. (In the Star Wars tymeline the Crimson Empire tale chronicles events after Dark Empire, which occurs after the battle of Endor, ROTJ.)

I felt privileged to be on hand for the revelation. The cover artist, the person responsible for the first impression of the original Crimson Empire series is Dave Dorman. Dave is a traditional painter whose name and work has been an intrinsic part of the Star Wars world for decades.

I was stoked when Dave invited me to his studio to model for the Crimson Empire series. While the Imperial Knight armour I wear (and made from scratch) is different than that of the Crimson Empire Imperial Guard, it bares enough similarities for Dave to reference in his creations. And I am happy to play a small part in the process. Look for additional cover comparison as the series unfolds. (I will not be sharing anything that has not yet been publicly announced.)

links;
Dave Dorman
Dark Horse Comics Crimson Empire III, Issue 1 announcement
Imperial Knight Ganner Krieg, costume project

Be well,
Thomas

PS; I'll be meeting with Dave again today to shoot reference for the cover of Crimson Empire III, issue 2.

Very cool Thomas. I love how you continue to have an influence in the Star Wars universe. I was actually wondering just the other day what the reference material was for that image. I think the pose works perfectly. Keep up the great work ;).

The young squire is Jack Dorman. Come to learn, he is the wind beneath many a fluttering cape in Dave's paintings.

196347_10150211233049623_633079622_8421601_5260260_n.jpg

This was taken yesterday, after posing for reference in CE III covers. Posing for Dave is lot like playing Twister. I hope there's a cover with a struggle between Kir Kanos and Mirith Sinn soon. (I do know one model for her character and she is local.)

Be well,
Thomas

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back